Vizio Razor-Thin 1080p 26” LED HDTV

I have the 1080p 32" LED-LCD Razor… it is epic. Got it for $570 @ Costco. I use it as my primary computer monitor, blueray display, and TV. Only complaint is that the feature that allows it to recognize a signal from the PC and auto-power-on/off only works on the primitive VGA port, and not on the HDMI inputs.

That was a depressing writeup. I’ll be your new Seattle friend, unknown Woot Workshop employee.

Seattle isn’t that bad unless you really like sun. We don’t get a whole lot of that.

Seattlites have accepted and adapted to the consistent but light downfall and don’t mind getting a little wet. I personally like going out in the rainy days (except in winter). It never gets extremely hot/cold or humid/dry. Seattle is the baby bears portage, just right.

My company does aerial images and creates 3D models from them, and some company brought in a 3D TV / monitor that didn’t require glasses, so I assume you are referring to that (though it has been out more than a week).

To accomplish this, you need to be in one of multiple “sweet spots” to view the 3D effect, so there must be some sort of lens in the screen. If you are off a few inches to the right or left of a sweet spot, you get a distorted image that is hard to handle. I think there were 8 sweet spots across the viewing range.

Personally, I don’t see 3D TV becoming “mainstream” for the same reasons that 90% of the movies that are being released in theaters aren’t in 3D - it’s more of a novelty than a necessity. My opinion, of course, you are free to differ.

They’ve definitely got 3D without glasses. I work for an AV trade association and we saw them in 2008 at our trade show. I don’t see myself getting a 3D TV, but it is pretty amazing. How do they DO that? (rhetorical question… for all the engineers out there.)

I’ve got a 26" 720p TV that I have been using as 2nd monitor for my laptop for over 2 years. As a 2nd monitor, it is pretty good. As long as your hardware matches up, it should work. However, I think it would be much more beneficial to have a 1080p monitor, especially if you are going to make it a standalone screen. The 720p just isn’t big enough if you are expecting to have multiple windows open. For all of you out there with high res laptops, set your screen height down to 720 pixels and decide if that is an acceptable amount of space.

Here is the link to the product on Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-M260VA-26-Inch-Class-RazorLED/dp/B003LL17HK/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top
Slightly dissapointed that I’d be saving less than $70 and getting a refurbished unit. I think I’m going to go with the Insignia from Best Buy because for < $80 more I get a new unit w/ a 2 year manufacturer’s warranty.

Now this is a quality post!

(PS…must have been a short sale, i wanted the 55’ Vizio, but it is already sold out (i checked it 15 minutes after the start). So good luck for those wanting to get the 26" coming up)

sdc100…And i ALWAYS read your posts, your posts are always top-notch and you do it without getting “snarky”!

You are correct that guy is confused. LED TV is a term made up by big tv companies markting. It is used for ANY tv that uses led’s to illuminate the screen instead of the old energy wasting lightbulbs.

There are different ways that the led’s can light the screen, the best of which is local dimming meaning that the leds are located right behind the screen so only the parts of the screen that are needed to be “on” have the leds light up. Even though it provides superior picture quality this method is less common becuase the tvs have to be thicker to accommodate the leds behind the screen. The other most popular way to light a screen is have the leds to the side of the screen and then essentially pipe the light to the areas of the screen where it is needed. That guys doesn’t realize that every single tv that has leds in it is refered to as an LED tv thanks to samsung who really made a huge marketing push for it. To more specifically answer your question no, no tv’s are made of only leds an no lcd on top.

I repeat ANY and ALL tvs that use leds to light the screen are refered to as “LED TVs” by the marketing people of the large electronics companies, and MOST tvs today are edge lit since it lets the tvs be sigfnicantly thinner.

6 inches of depth makes a pretty dull razor.

Check out this Reliability Chart.

Here’s the article it came from.

Anyone know what Woot’s dead pixel policy is?

While the walmart deal is a better deal, I think it would be worth the extra money to skip the crowded stores. That may just be me.

What does carrying a canoe or boat between navigable waters have to do with the weather or baby bears?

Also, don’t forget to account for taxes.

You make baby bears transport boats over land?

That “weirdly overly realistic” look comes from having the “smooth view” feature turned on. Turn it off and it will look normal.

All LED TV’s are LED back-lit LCD’s. However, there are two kinds of lighting, back-lit or edge-lit. This one is edge-lit, the lower level of the two types.

I was thinking that too, then I realized thats the thickness with the stand on.

Product site says it has a 0.86” thin profile with the max. depth of the TV itself being 2.37". From the pics it looks like it must be 0.86" thick around the edges and gradually thicken to the 2.37" as you get to the much thicker middle of the TV.

Dimensions from the Product’s spec page http://www.vizio.com/led-lcd-hdtvs/m260va.html say this:

With Stand: 25.35"W x 17.00"H x 5.86"D
Without Stand: 25.35"W x 17.00"H x 2.30"D

I own this TV. I purchased it at Walmart a few months ago. Not sure why Woot! claims it’s a 720p/1080i TV, because it’s definitely a 1080p TV.

Aside from that, it’s a beauty. .75" thick, LED backlit, sleek design. It’s a great deal for the price if you don’t need a humongous television.

The stand is kind of wobbly, but that may be because my floor is a tad bit uneven where I have it sitting.

I bought it for $328 new. Refurb for just above $200 seems OK, however, the price has been going down on it.