Voice Alert Cooking Thermometer with Bonus Stainless Steel Probe

I have this exact thermometer, bought it at a home store about 3 years ago. Seem to remember paying roughly $20 for it then (without the extra BBQ probe).

This is a good thermometer that works well. The voice alerts sound a little weird but are understandable.

The “time remaining” feature is all but useless. I have never found the “predictions” to be even remotely close… yesterday I was cooking prime rib, and it told me I had 30 minutes remaining. It took me 90 minutes from that point before I reached the set temperature.

The batteries last a good long time with this thermometer as well – I use this often and have only changed the batteries once.

If you need to get a meat thermometer, this is a good one to get.

This looks suspiciously like the thermometer that Maverick made for Williams-Sonoma. If it is the same one, it’s a total piece of crap - we carried it for a single season, and we’re still getting tons of returns on it because it stops functioning.

I bought the wireless version (same manuf.) last year and have now used it 3 times. I use the Stainless shielded probe and leave it in the grill the entire time (after searing)with the readout sitting on the grill’s shelf. Sear your meat on high heat first, then lower grill temp to med-med/low and insert probe. Best advice I received, “It’s a piece of meat, not an acrobat… it doesn’t need flipped 20 times.”

I’ve had the Williams-Sonoma version of this for 2+ years. And I like it. Mine has a max temp of 482 F and the temp tracks good with a hand-held instant-read food thermometer I also use.

The probe goes into the cooking food, the wire goes out of the oven to the base unit and both the remote unit and the base display the temp and the remote does the voice stuff. I don’t use the voice capabilities as all I’m interested in is the food’s temp.

Anywhere I’m at in the house, I can look at the remote and tell the temp of the food without going to the kitchen (or over to the oven), opening the oven door and sticking the handheld thermometer into the food.

Saves time.

@BigMel - your comments were very helpful! I am in for one. I just need something that I can stick in my meat and read the temp without opening the oven door a million times (and thus messing with the temp of the oven)

Thanks!

In for one. Been needing a good Meat Thermometer for the grill anyway.

And if you read a little further below that, it also inludes a stainless steel version that can handle 600 degrees.

Nice, my wife is needing one and she loves bells and whistles.

We love ours!! Its estimates of how much cooking time is left are occasionally laughable, reminding me of this, but good for a ballpark estimate, and in the end we come out with perfectly done meat.

It only says that the probe is good up to 600 degrees. It doesn’t say how high the thermometer can actually display temperatures.

Wil this tell you the temp of the oven or grill as well as the temp of the meat?

I’m going to go out on a limb and say yes. (It’s a thermometer)

Curious… can the voice/time estimate function be turned off and just beep when the meet hits a predetermined temp?

Ehh- flipping more often can lead to less overcooked meat

Doesn’t look like it - according to the manual: you can either turn off all warning, or you have to put up with annoying alerts. I kinda get the 5min alert, but why would I care about 20, 15, 10? I want this thing to monitor the temp For me, not make me come over to the oven every 5 minutes to shut off an alarm that will last a whole minute if I don’t.

if you were to take it out of the meat and the temperature was at or below 212F degrees then yes-

Otherwise no- according to the manual it will only display the word “HI” for any temperature higher than 212F

Don’t think so. The manual cautions against exposing “the unit” to direct heat or surface - but maybe that’s the digital reader part.

But generally, with the 212 deg. max reading, this is clearly a meat thermometer, not a general cooking thermometer as the title of the item might suggest. If you want to read the temp of your oven, deep frying oil, sugar syrup, or anything else besides cooking meat, this item is of no use to you.

aw snap! thats crazy! I had always heard that flipping burgers more would make them more dry. NUTSO!!!

My Oneida probe thermometer has been acting strange, shutting off, inaccurate temps (with new batteries) so I guess it’s time for a new one.

Plan to mainly use this bad boy for homebrewing… measuring my mash temp and whatnot so the anything over 212 will show HI * shouldn’t be an issue… though that is lame.

My cat ate the wire to the probe of mine last week that was similar to this, just another brand. I loved that themometer. I have always bought cheap ones that have broke, and that one was great until my cat got a hold of the probe. I’m going to take a gamble on getting this one and keep it away from my cat. I’m also getting one for my dad for fathers day, since he always has a hard time finding a good meat themometer.