Vornado Evap 2 Humidifier

dBs?

Saw this on clearance (much cheaper than Woot) at a big, red, store the other day.

Serious question, why do people choose humidifiers with wicks? I have never had good luck with keeping them clean.

LOLSHANTY

I’m reminded of Renn Faire acts.

4 out of 5 stars over at the vornado website

http://reviews.vornado.com/1001/fd00e874-f42d-4eae-b28c-d819b1d0f4a5/evap2-humidifier-reviews/reviews.htm

I really like this. I picked up one of these in a Woot off last month and have had it running every day. I’m careful to keep it clean, as I read in comments at that time that mold was sometimes a problem. The low setting is quiet enough to keep it in the bedroom. My skin doesn’t feel so dry.

The one negative thing about it is the awkward way you have to fill it. You have to remove the tank and turn it upside down to remove the stopper. But the thing is molded with curves everywhere so it doesn’t set flat while you’re trying to remove the stopper, fill the tank, or replace the stopper. Also the stopper is quite hard to remove and replace. I’ve discovered if I place it in the front of an open drawer, and close the drawer snugly while I remove the stopper, I can do it without the aid of another person. Also I use a jar opener to slowly remove the stopper.

I bought this unit the last time Woot offered it about a 5 weeks ago. It happens that my doctor recommended I should get one and woot offered this unit the very next day. It’s a great buy because one of the leading department stores get quite a bit more for the very same unit. My wife and I fell in love with the way it works from the very first day. No more dry mouth or getting up to get a drink in the middle of the night. We love this unit!

Previous woot $10 more at $59.99
http://home.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=5279093

and CowboyDann helped out then

In answer to your question, you don’t need to clean them as you can change them quite easily at little expense.

I got this from woot on a moofi deal about 2 weeks ago, same price. In short, I wouldn’t have bought now that I’ve taken it for a test drive. The unit is smaller than you’d expect, as is the water tank. It basically dribbles water into the base where the paper filter gets wet and as you said, it “wicks” the water up as the fan draws air through it. I found it did not “humidify” my living room as well as an old-school humidifier at all. It took almost 3 days to go through the 1 gallon tank. Furthermore, it is LOUD! The box says whisper quiet, but even on its lowest setting it was very loud. Someone said “dbs?” I’d say maybe 75-80 dbs on high. Not an option in the bedroom. Put it to you this way, if it’s on the coffee table it will piss you off. If it’s in the corner, maybe you can call it a white noise machine. Honestly, it’s much louder than a regular “vornado fan”. Despite the fancy humidity control I’d have to give it 2 out of 5 stars. It does what it claims, after all. But it’s loud and inherently inefficient. I ended up coughing up 3 times the price and getting a 1.4 Gallon Sharper Image humidifier from one of those retail stores. It goes through the tank in 24 hours and suddenly, I’m not waking up with cotton-mouth from the dry heat anymore.

Dear Mod, Thanks for my very first quality post.

Thank YOU for the quality post!

No, thank YOU for thanking THEM for thanking you!

Bought it last time from woot, so the lower price is even nicer.

The fact that it’s about the only humidifier that blasts humid air evenly throughout the room and has a humidity sensor to auto-stop makes it unique in its category.

That being said, some negatives:
1 - despite it coming with a humidity sensor, it seems to not be very accurate – I have it set to stop at 40%, but 3 other hygrometers in the room say it’s stopping at 50%.
2 - the tank, as others have noted, is an odd shape, and makes it tricky to fill and install back.
3 - the confirmation beep is pretty damn loud, which makes it a little less ideal for using in a nursery.

Still, those are slight annoyances at best – it’s still a great buy.

I have been waiting for these to come back on Woot and happily just bought a 2nd one for the house. We have an older wood home that is beyond dry in the winter and three pre-schoolers running around so our requirements were pretty simple - quiet, spill-proof, small footprint. And of course it needed to work well. This model is all of that and more - I’m not sure what other folks think of as loud, but all I am hearing is a small fan and the occasional drip of water from the unit. We have definitely felt more comfortable sleeping at night and as I said, I had been looking for more for the kids’ rooms. As far as price, this by far the best deal I have seen online, and Woot shipping has been extremely speedy. Highly recommended!

I bought two during the last Woot and they work but makes they room colder so we aren’t using them.

Love it! Easy to fill, easy to carry, doesn’t drip when changing the container after filling. Very well engineered and looks good to boot!It does what it’s supposed to…

Previous comment from above:
The one negative thing about it is the awkward way you have to fill it. You have to remove the tank and turn it upside down to remove the stopper. But the thing is molded with curves everywhere so it doesn’t set flat while you’re trying to remove the stopper, fill the tank, or replace the stopper. Also the stopper is quite hard to remove and replace. I’ve discovered if I place it in the front of an open drawer, and close the drawer snugly while I remove the stopper, I can do it without the aid of another person. Also I use a jar opener to slowly remove the stopper.

Ok, so try this. Slip your hand through the handle, flip it over…it is now in the palm of your hand, remove stopper, hold under tap, replace stopper, flip right-side up, replace in unit. The stopper removes with two fingers with no force at all as it is inset, no screw bands.Move it 1/2 inch counter clockwise and it drops out, literally, replace by reversing the process.

I’ve had this for about a month now, and I have no complaints whatsoever. We use this every day, and if I had an extra $50 I would definitely buy a second one. It’s a great unit! We have a Culligan Reverse Osmosis system attached to our kitchen sink, and we just fill the humidifier with the Culligan water. The filter still looks the same as it did when we got it!

Highly recommend!

I would not recommend this if you have hard water in your area. I was using a wickless Vornado model and it filled the whole house with white powder. It was clogging my furnace filter so badly I had to change it every week. All my furniture have this ugly white powder on it. Cleaning the lime off the Vornado was impossible. I threw it out after 3 months.