VuPoint 4x6 Digital Photo Scanner

I wish!

If I could get a red Basenji for $25! (Although, I’d rather have a black-n-white!)

steve

I dunno but back in the old days when fax paper came on rolls I used to feed a long piece through the scan portion of the fax machine and then loop it back around so its like a belt around the scanner. Then, I would dial the fax number of a guy I knew and hit send… that thing would run continually until the fax connection was interrupted… He got big long faxes of blankness all over his floor that used up his whole roll of paper.

He had to have the Geek Squad install the software for him - can we really trust his opinion then?

Very. Not to plug apple because f**k apple. But the iphone 4 has a screen resolution of 326 DPI. Also, my multifunction $25 hp printer scanner does 1200 DPI. Though maybe this has better color reproduction.

Minimum System Requirements:

* Windows 2000, XP, Vista or 7; Mac OS 10.5 or higher

I would say no. This feeds the photos through, so you risk damaging them. My recommendation would be to go with a good scanner/printer that comes with a flatbed.

Too true.

Website does not have the product, not even a manual. The best I can do so far is the support page for questions:

http://www.vupointsolutions.com/support.php

Some helpful information on dpi:
http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/scanner.htm

I don’t think there are many advantages with something this low end. Except that it’s $20, which might be an advantage if you don’t already have a multifunction machine and don’t want to spend $100 on one.

The real difference is between a multifunction device, where scanning is just a component, and a dedicated flatbed scanner that might have more photo features like slide and negative strip holders and better dynamic range.

That will depend on the condition of the paper. If the photo paper is fragile or already cracked and falling apart, the photos may not survive being squeezed through the rollers of this $20 bargain. An inexpensive flatbed scanner would let you gently place the prints on the scanner and lower the lid, which is a lot less wear and tear on the old prints. You would never want to have an old print break up and jam in this thing.

There is a special consideration with old photos. If your antique photos are badly faded/color shifted/scratched, a flatbed scanner and the software it comes with may be able to perform some digital corrections and cleanup like fade restoration, color rebalancing, and dust/scratch removal. I’m not sure if this thing does any of that. It is really set up for prints in great condition from the last 20-30 years, which are all on that nice glossy paper that should be in pretty good shape.

Another note for receipts that is not in favor of this machine: the receipts you want to safekeep the most, such as those from repair shops, big electronics items, etc are often printed on full 8.5x11 pages, if not 8.5x14 legal size… This one would be pretty useless for these important receipts too…

But since MOST receipts out there would fit through a 4" slot, for as long as you have some sort of flatbed scanner for bigger ones - this one will probably expedite your daily scanning routine quite a bit for the bulk of them. But don’t count on it exclusively.

Love my Basenjis. Always looking for more of those trouble makers.

It’s surprising this guy could make it to the best buy website and post a review.

It’s surprising this guy could make it to the best buy website and post a review.

froogled

You can get a decent print off of a 300 dpi image, though. A 300 dpi printer would look lousy, but 200-300dpi images look fine when printed on a 1200 dpi printer. That said, you’ll get a MUCH higher scanning resolution from dedicated scanners these days, this isn’t gong to let you enlarge photos, and it really looks like it’s more of a business card scanner that might happen to do the occasional snapshot scan.

Yup, that’s purty dang low, all things considered. PLENTY for viewing on-screen, should be decent re-printed at same size, but any appreciable enlargement will suffer.

Really depends on what you’d like to accomplish… see my comment above. If you’re looking to “restore” some of the faded/scratched/etc. photos, there is some nifty software out there that you could get in addition to the/a scanner.

This explanation just confuses things further (from What Is 'Resolution' for Displays or Images?):

Well played sir. If it didn’t waste a ton of paper, I’d say some kind of disturbing message repeated ad nauseum, or mayhaps a long meandering drawing with a good payoff would be in order.

Dots per inch. I think most inkjets print 240dpi best. Commercial labs up to 300dpi. if scanning 4x6 to print at 4x6. Its just right :} I got one to scan old 110 up to 35mm BOXES full so this will make MUCH QUICKER work of it!

I have a whole drawer of pics I have been working through with this scanner… The quality is a bit grainy, but not bad… Its worth it to me to get those photos digital without having to lift a lid all the time.

It’s pretty fast too… Just read the directions, use the sleeve and do the cleaning cycle between long sessions.

That’s what I meant. I’m just the “offended” party for tonight. Carry on!