Wagner Power Painter

That’s a newer model. :wink:

Those look too nice. I’m thinking it’s more like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Wagner-Products-315XXX-Two-Speed-Painter/dp/B00004TUCH

And if it’s anything like the one I had, they’re loud, messy, and slow. Painting by hand is much easier.

Save yourself headache and buy a roller. By the time you mask the areas you don’t want sprayed, thin the paint enough to get it to spray (requiring extra coats), and clean up the resulting mess, you could have painted the entire area and gone on vacation. As both a former owner (similar model) and paint seller, they ONLY things I would ever recommend these for is very light bodied products like stains or oil-based enamels. They don not work well with waterborne products, especially the newer low-VOC coatings.

…next I’m going to switch nozzles and stain my DECK.

You only get one for that price, not both. You choose the model you want when you go to buy it.

Cheerz!

Except Ace Hardware also confirms & lists the 305 and Wagner model number 272045 together in this description.

Safe? Just wear a respirator and goggles (or at the very least a filter mask).

But as others have said, you really want to go with an airless sprayer which you can rent at home depot or other home improvement shops.

Takes about 10-15 minutes to clean, but be careful not to drop the little parts down the drain.

I have no interest in the painter, but I wonder how many sci-fi/comic references I can find in this description…

I used one of these to paint the inside of the rental house before i moved in a month ago. The little guy did a decent job. had to refill every five seconds though. and yes it is a pain in the arse to clean

I’ve used several similar products in the past.

Yes, they will spray paint. No, they will not spray it evenly. Yes, they will clog.

If you’re going to paint a lot of area, go rent a real airless sprayer from the local rental company - the kind that drop into a 5 gallon bucket of paint.

If you’re going to paint a small area, use a brush or roller.

Thanks guys. Looks like it’ll be me and a roller this weekend.

YouTube video:

Wagner Power Painter in action!

I worked with a professional painter who used the wide version of this power painter, and has had one for years. He mostly uses it with wood stains, but sometimes primer. They will clog up if you let them set up for too long. If you clean them right after using them, the chances of the thing getting all gummed up are reduced significantly.

Also, the type of paint you use makes a difference as well.

For wide open areas, a roller is best.

But for hard to reach areas, like under the overhang or fascia of your roof, where a roller won’t reach or a brush will take too long, these work.

I bought one a few years ago to help paint my house. I bought it with the expectation that I would throw it away when done, worst-case. I bought extra atomizers and I did not thin the paint down. When an atomizer got too worn or clogged, I threw in a new one.

Cleaning was messy, but not that much worse than cleaning rollers and brushes. Actually, I took it in the shower and cleaned the parts and myself at the same time.

I still have it, but I cannot find atomizers to work with it. It was a special brand. I will most likely get this Wagner just cause it is so cheap.

If you are looking to do a wall, use a roller.

If you are looking to do a textured ceiling, then then this will do better.

And the cost for two is less than renting a pro sprayer.

Cheerz!

Know going in that these aren’t as easy to use as they appear on the commercials.

First, you have to thin the media you’re using. Thinning keeps the viscosity down and keeps the media running through the atomizer, but leads to runs and drips.

Second, these things are incredibly loud that you might want to consider ear protection, especially if you are painting in an empty room.

Third, cleanup is ridiculous and time consuming. The atomizer especially takes forever to clean, and any paint lodged in those tiny holes will completely foul the sprayer and lead to poor performance.

Even under absolutely perfect painting conditions, you still need to mask off large areas and protect against overspray, and painting out of doors requires almost a completely calm wind.

You will most certainly spend less time getting out all the rollers and brushes and doing it by hand, and you will likely use less paint and fewer ameliorants.

This guy stares through your soul and tells you how to clean these things
here.

He also stares through you while showing you how to work these babies here.

These are REALLY cheesy. I wouldn’t use one again if it was free.

wow. this is the absolute worst. wouldn’t take another one of these if you paid me.

Used one of these “Wags” a few years back, but a similar model nonetheless.

From my experience, there are two major issues with these types of low-end Wagner electric powered paint sprayers:

1- They’re louder than a barrel full of simultaneously screaming Woot!-Off in flight.

2- You have to meticulously clean all of the fresh/wet paint residue that coat the seemingly never ending nooks and crannies from the sprayer’s multitude of varying parts so thoroughly that it completely negates any of the time that you previously saved by using the tool.

But it you’re only going to use it one time for a large project, I say go for because at this price it is about the same amount of money to what buying all the traditional brush and drop cloth painting would cost you anyway from the local big-box hardware store.