WALABOT DIY 2 - Advanced Stud Finder

WALABOT DIY 2 - Advanced Stud Finder

1 Like

Obligatory:

4 Likes

FYI, if your walls are thicker than a standard 2x4 + 1 layer of drywall, this thing is nearly useless. It can’t decide if there’s nothing in the wall, or the entire wall is studs.

1 Like

Stud-finders work by detecting changes in density behind the wall surface. Which requires a hefty output speaker to be able to DRIVE into the impedance of the wall. Your smartphone isn’t going to cut it, as THAT would be a safety hazard, up against your ear…

1 Like

I do this the old fashioned way.

Make about 20 tiny holes until I find a stud.

#winning

2 Likes

You are my spirit DIYer.

3 Likes

I suspect that’s true. To be fair though, that applies to nearly any studfinder… I typically use a magnet and Franklin finder, with great success

1 Like

$300 idea: dating site called StudFinder dot com.

2 Likes

2 Likes

Sure, but this uses a completely different tech.
The walabot is its own device that sticks to your phone temporarily with a little gel pad.
The walabot itself emits a few different frequencies of RF and has an antenna for each. By plotting the amount and frequency of signals bounced it can determine the type of material behind the wall and also, usually, the direction. So, more than just for studs, it can track a pipe, wires, etc.

It gets some negative press, and it does have some quirks especially with the phone attachment part, but overall I’ve found it quite useful, especially when making sure I won’t be hitting a water line for a fixture in the adjacent room, for example. So far so good, when combined with a bit of common sense.