Wattle Creek Winery 2008 Alexander Valley Shiraz 4 Pack

I saw that wine, but not the reference to Gary VAY-NER-CHUK. I saw that Little Penguin Pinot Noir was like six dollars and very commercial so I figured it wouldn’t be seen here. Thanks NightGhost for checking that search out.

Courtesy of CJ:

So join or create a thread now.

http://bestsmileys.com/drinking/10.gif

Yes … although it seems that it used to be if no one got it right (after one or more hours), WD would pop in with a second obscure clue after a while. But for the past year or more, I don’t think he’s done that.

That’s cool. Still trying to figure out why this is being marketed as Shiraz when it’s from CA. Still trying to figure out why all wine isn’t screw cap, also.

I’ll admit I’m an ignorant novice but I’ve been leveling up slowly over the past couple years just sniffing, swirling and drinking.

This wine sells for $30 a bottle on the winery’s webiste or $24 if you are a memeber. Looks like a good price, has anyone tasted this wine before?

Call me shallow but labels influence whether I buy a wine or not. This label reminds me of Turning Leaf so automatic NO BUY. Throw in tasting room in Girardelli(sp?) Square (tourist hot spot) and the deal is sealed.

The reviews on Yelp of the winery’s tasting room are pretty favorable but, alas, nothing noting this vintage. Looks like they don’t distribut in the US, but only to club members and direct shipments?

No tasting notes/descriptions anywhere? I think I will wait to see if the winery or someone who has actually tasted this posts before buying. I do love a good bold Shiraz!

I haven’t found any reviews for this wine, but CT has quite a list. Maybe something can be learned from looking at all of their wines. (?)

Ah yes, the great “screw cap debate.”

Certainly, the screw caps have the advantage in that the wine won’t get corked.

But corks do allow the wine to breathe, and it’s thought that this may allow wine to age better over the long term.

Finally, a lot of winemakers are just set in their ways. They’re afraid to change, or afraid their customers won’t like the change.

Screwing Around:
Screw Caps vs. Cork—Which Way Would You Go?

There’s no TTB regulation on the use of the term Shiraz in the US. Some people will use name it depending on what clonal material bought (Shiraz and Syrah clones both exist on the market based on their lineage). I also had a viticulture professor who insisted they were different in that Shiraz didn’t have the inherent diseases of Syrah that lead to Syrah decline. Otherwise, I had a friend who worked for RH Phillips (before the winery was sold and closed) who said they changed the name of the same wine back and forth between syrah and shiraz year to year as the marketing winds dictated.

Bought one. Needed some house Shiraz for guest dinners and this one seems to be a nice catch.

I am open for ratting this lot.

Cheers!

Still would like to know why this is called Shiraz and not Syrah. Was the winemaker australian trained? Does it designate a stylistic goal?

Is this a true Australlian style being thick and fruit forward?

Love love love me a good Shiraz (or whatever you want to call it…) at this time of year. Sounds like this may be a nice one. In for one, and available to rat!

The image on the label is from a Wattle Tree, an Aussie tree. It has nothing to do with the image of “Turning Leaf”.

Well, wattles are Acacias, which are also common in parts of Africa, and are found on several other continents.

But your post kinda woke me up - Wattles are indeed mostly associated with Australia. And, while the owners aren’t Australian, they clearly chose to associate their winery with Australia.

So it’s not surprising that they call this wine a Shiraz and not a Syrah.

edit: I’m still hoping we’ll have some winery participation. I love Syrha/Shiraz, but I shy away from those that are “Parkery,” or too oakey or sweet. I need to know more about this, especially as I’m teetering on a SWMBOWBM.

You all forget the Ali McBeal type of wattle!

/you are shallow! :sunglasses:

Nonetheless, that sometimes that reaps dividends. Your other reason, a Ghirardelli square tasting room, constitutes a much better heuristic! I’d go with this being a yellow-label- Kangaroo-style wine, and will avoid it like a wombats’ crack den.

I just watched the episode today where Richard reveals his wattle fetish. Hilarious!

Yes! How cool is that! Finally Kansas is starting to come out of prohibition.