WD My Book 2TB External USB 3.0 HD

[Preview 1][Preview 2][Preview 3]
http://d3gqasl9vmjfd8.cloudfront.net/17d97226-883d-473f-afbd-82cf5133d125.jpg

WD My Book 2TB External USB 3.0 HD
Price: $69.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard OR $10 Two-Day OR $20 One-Day
Shipping Estimates: Ships in 1-2 business days (Monday, Mar 31 to Tuesday, Apr 01) + transit
Condition: Factory Reconditioned

[http://www.wootstalker.com/images/buy.png

Buy It](http://tech.woot.com/offers/wd-my-book-2tb-external-usb-3-0-hd) [http://www.wootstalker.com/images/amazon.png

Search Amazon](http://www.amazon.com/s/?field-keywords=WD My Book 2TB External USB 3.0 HD) [http://www.wootstalker.com/images/google.png

Search Google](https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&tbm=shop&q=WD My Book 2TB External USB 3.0 HD)

NewEgg Reviews

There are a few things I wouldn’t buy reconditioned. Underwear and hard drives to name a couple.

Need some support? WDC.com has the answer.

and

Some solid reviews (4.3 out of 5.0) over at tigerdirect.com

Correct me if I’m wrong (and Oden knows I so often am), but wouldn’t a reconditioned drive (from the factory) be just as much of a crapshoot as getting a new drive?

You are too paranoid. I used to work on a team that reconditioned electronics. I see it as an item that has had a lot more attention paid to it than any new item. I have never had any problems with any of the refurb’ed drives I have used. They are functionally the same as new and have passed more tests than a new one…

I’m currently running 2 3TB and 2 2TB WD My Books and they’re running great (2-4 years). I have 10-yr old My Books that I still use occasionally for archive purposes that still work great too. I store a ton of anime and music and these are the perfect repository. Great WD reliability. If this reconditioned units is as reliable as the 3TB My Books that I’ve been using for about 3.5 years, then this is s steal.

Actually less…Only a fraction of new drives are put through extensive testing. EVERY refurb is tested very extensively. I used to work on them and I would trust one any day…If you can ever get a great deal on refurbished electronics, you should take it…

Ummmm, the question is why did the customer return the drive? Lightening strike, fell off of a table, used as a toy by the kids? Yeah, returns like these may be in the minority, but …

I just shot an hour reading the Newegg reviews mentioned above. Average grade appears to be 3 out of 5. A little problem of the encryption board going south and data being inaccessible even if you take the drive itself out and put it in another enclosure. And it’s NOT clear that NOT using encryption or password protection prevents you from being locked out (hmmm, triple negative?)

If you get seduced by the price, consider not doing the following: 1) using the encryption and password, 2) using the WD backup software, and 3) making this your only backup. Also make sure you have the latest firmware installed.

Thanks for relaying your experience. That’s what I was thinking, since new models are more or less assumed to work and returned items have to be independently tested. I would think if the factory is doing it, they have the proper tools, parts, and expertise to fix the issue. WD have a pretty good reputation unlike some (cough seagate cough) so I’m more inclined to trust they do a good job.

Anyways, maybe a lot of these are reconditioned enclosures that had some bad soldering or something.

AS to what could go wrong to have them returned. I’ve gone through 2 of these (new) the first the controller went bad, the second I bought to use to get the data off the old drive since WD encrypts the data on the drive and you need the same controller to get your data. The second drive I well…plugged the wrong power cord into it and burnt up the second controller. I took the drives out of the enclosures (voiding warranty) and they work great as internal drives now.

The main issues with regular refurbished products are:

1. The warranties are not as long as new or certified products. This product only has a 6-month warranty, compared to the 2-year warranty of a new model.

2. The refurbishment process tends to vary, with certified refurbished from places like Apple often better than new, while the refurbs from other places being almost useless with a non-existant refurbishment process (not that far from fraud). In this case, since I assume these are factory refurbs direct from WD, I do trust that they underwent thorough testing.

3. Often, the price differential between a refurb and a new product is so little, that there isn’t any point in even considering the refurb. Compared to other reputable brands of 2TB externals, as well as other models of 2TB externals sold by WD, the suggested retail on this drive is inflated such that this might look like a good deal to some, but it’s not. You’d be better off getting a new 2TB like this: http://www.amazon.com/Drive-Security-Local-Backup-WDBFJK0020HBK-NESN/dp/B00E3RH5W2/

I agree with you. I bought two reconditioned drives and 1 failed within the 90 day warranty period and was replaced. The other one failed 3 months later (out of warranty) and the replacement drive failed 6 months after I got it.

That said… I have 3 of these WD My Book 2TB that I bought as new, not refurbs. They’ve been very reliable. I don’t beat up on them a lot but use them to make system backups that are stored off site.

Reburbs are fine. Usually better than new. There is a percent of failure for any new item that is allowed. At least reburbs go through extra testing.
However, in this case 6 month warranty is a big red flag! If in fact WD is doing the refurb then they should be a two year warranty. I think they farm it out and don’t trust the third party. But they don’t want to take a total loss on bad units that most likely have a design flaw with a higher failure rate than usual.

I’ve had one of these two or three years, they are stone cold reliable. I don’t know if this is a good price or not, I don’t know if a refurb HDD is a bad idea or not. I do know that this WD model is a very good product.

Does anyone know if this will work as an external drive for a Dish Network Hopper to save recorded movies?

I’ve had two WD My Books. Both went belly up with zero help with trying to recover anything from Western Digital. Both of them lasted around 6 months. Only thing WD hard drives are good for is target practice and their service/help/warranty services are non-existant.

My entire home network setup is WD. 2 6TB WD Live Duo “cloud” drives (one to back up the other), 3 external 2TB Mybooks, 3 WDTV Live boxes - one for each TV, 2 portable 2TD drives and one ANCIENT 320GB portable WD My Passport (over 8 yrs old, been beat to H*** and back, and STILL going strong). 2 of the Mybooks and one of the 2TB portables are refurbs, and if you put a gun to my head and asked me to point out the refurbs from the new, I could not even begin to do so. They are ALL “workhorses”, not a blip or a glitch between them.

I keep records for a small home business, all my computer backup data, and all my rips of a pretty massive home entertainment library - both audio and video, on the two “big boys”, as well as all my photos and home/family videos. The Cloud feature on them is fantastic for letting family (Alaska, Maine, North Carolina) access the “public” files and see as well as share, and the smaller externals are superb as a “backup for the backup”.

I live in a very rural area, and power “blips”, surges, and outages are so common it’s almost a weekly occurrence - these drives are on heavy-duty surge protector strips, but STILL…they take a beating power-wise… Not ONE failure. Not even one. In over 3 years for the network/business setup, not one drive fail yet, “refurb” or not.

TRULY - Could care less about the “refurb” status. If I had the money (and WOOT! would let me…) I’d buy 10 of these suckers at this price just to have at the ready. My faith in these drives is unfailing. As are my drives.
Not that one WON’T fail eventually!!! Stuff happens. That’s the way it goes, and if you expect otherwise then you are in for a BIIIG disappointment when you grow up. But by the time one does, it will be too late to shake my faith that they are more than dependable. And at THIS price?? WOW. WANT want WANT want WAAAAAAANNNTTTTT…

It isn’t a bad deal, but same recertified drive is available directly from Western Digital for the same price.