WD Purple 1TB Surveillance Hard Disk Drive

[Preview 1][Preview 2][Preview 3][Preview 4]

WD Purple 1TB Surveillance Hard Disk Drive
Price: $39.99
Shipping Options:: $5 Standard
Shipping Estimates: Ships in 3-5 Business Days. (Wednesday, Apr 26 to Monday, May 01) + transit
Condition: New

[http://www.wootstalker.com/images/buy.png

Buy It](WD Purple 1TB Surveillance Hard Disk Drive) [http://www.wootstalker.com/images/amazon.png

Search Amazon](http://www.amazon.com/s/?field-keywords=WD Purple 1TB Surveillance Hard Disk Drive) [http://www.wootstalker.com/images/google.png

Search Google](WD - Google Shopping Purple 1TB Surveillance Hard Disk Drive)

5 Stars over at B&H Photo

5400rpm??? Slllllllllooooooooooowwww…

Meh, not really an important factor for its stated use. These drives work well for their intended purpose and I have used the series in NVR systems with over 64 HD cameras.

The colors:

WD Blue HDDs are mainly used for general purpose storage, they are great all-rounders, and an average user can’t go wrong with Blue.

WD Green is basically the as Blue, but it lacks a bit of performance. However, this is the most eko friendly HDD, and it’s quite cheap.

WD Blacks are for pure performance including gaming, media and content creation. Also one of the most expensive HDDs.

WD Red is a NAS drive. It’s optimized for NAS systems.

WD Purple is for surveillance. Advised for 24/7 operation.

WD Gold, probably the most premium of all. Made for a multitude of Datacenter-specific applications.

Listen to geowrian, he’s right on the money.

These are meant for 24/7 operation with multiple video streams in a video surveillance system or other constant use multi stream video environment. They run super cool and quiet and hd video from my security cameras plays smoothly. These are great for security systems or as a high quality file storage drive to hold all your collected hd video file. I bought mine for 60 shipped and it runs continuously in my 1080p security system and holds a lot of captured video.
It wouldn’t make a good boot drive due to speed but is excellent for what it was designed for.

Still too slow for mine…or should I say for my preferences! :frowning:

Why buy a Ferrari when what the workload demands is a semi? These may be “slow” but they will keep going when your Ferrari blows up under the load.

Western Digital links for WD Purple and the specs.

Sold out …Went back and tried again and it went through???

Late last year I bought the 8TB version for a dedicated computer system for a NVR. Only have four low end cameras. Two of which are PTZ. Going to upgrade to higher end POE cams for better pic and night vision. More of a hobby than need. Plus I like to keep tabs on the rots and other critters than might visit.

As for price here, a better deal. But if you miss this one, the price on the mother ship is not much more. Free shipping if you have prime. If it was not for taxes now, hating that.

Do we pay taxes here to now? I say no, I bought some wine a while back…

Then why bother commenting on a drive that isn’t for you?

Sounds like it would make a good data drive to pair with an ssd boot drive. If it was 2 1/2 inch form factor I would be all over it.

As far as black drives and failures, they seem to fail about the same time. I just replaced 3 2tb black enterprise drives in the same server. Their serials were with a couple hundred units of each other. Meaning, unit ending in 200 failed, 250 and 300 failed. Two things are a given with WD’s, they don’t last as long as the stated MTFB rating and they seem to die 2 or more at a time. These drives were less then 4 years old (if you look at the link below, you will see a sharp drop off of drives at 3 years. Anyone remember drives use to have a 3 to 5 year warranty? What are they now?). There’s a nice HDD life span real world data that might come in handy.

Not really.

These drives are firmware optimized for for camera/DVR use, where data integrity is less important than delays. That contrasts with regular PC drives in which data integrity is more important and having a delay for error checking is a lesser concern.