We Love Oregon!

Thanks for bringing out what wasn’t obvious to me. Please, pnonor, in future consider identifying yourself right away as working with the winery.

Kyle speaks for me in this case. I gently point out that many folks here have wide ranging tastes, and reasonable budgets. I like some Oregon PNs, but have also had some awful ones.

I think I’ll wait until someone I know tries it…

[edit] BTW, Here is an example of a PN that Woot has offered before that I liked (as did many others).

https://www.cellartracker.com/classic/wine.asp?iWine=953362

We grow a lot of grapes here!

Also, for the record, the WA fruit here, if this is a true cv, you’re talking about a division of politics only (the river is literally the border), not of region…

Which pinots? There’s a lot of variation in vintage, region, and maker, just like, well, most wine. I don’t know what you drank, but if they’re random that could be on the level of me saying I don’t like CA cabernet because I drank Columbia crest and trinity oak and didn’t like either…

EDIT: this reads a bit defensively. For the record, it took me a couple years to get into OR pinot as most of the lower end wine just isn’t very good (with notable exception to J Christopher’s JJ, which costs $16 in stores and drinks easily in the $30-40 range…), but I have had some exceptional OR bargains on here. That said, never tried the first offer and while I’m sure I’ve had Eastburn before, I have no notes or memory on them, and Naked I’ve had a couple above average to very good glasses of. So not necessarily talking about any of these, they could be steals or they could be average, I know not. Just defending the region, from someone who currently is not involved in the industry and tends to lean toward big, jammy reds and happens to really like the PN from the cv…

Did you read his whole post? I don’t think he said any of what you’re calling him out for; I think what he said made sense and clarified/justified his statement perfectly…

Please don’t read this with any angry tone or anything. As I type this, I mean nothing but a conversation about something we’re both passionate about.

I’m not sure why the sarcasm (if indeed, that’s what your first sentence is – that’s how it comes off). I do not ever drink $400 Burgs, or other wines for that matter. But that wasn’t my point at all. My point was simply, it seems disingenuous to a) post a review without identifying yourself as a winery rep (this actually seems quite inappropriate to me and b) to subtlety suggest that this wine is like a great Burg.

Are Burgs WAY overpirced? Very likely yes. Not the point. Would I rather drink a value wine than a $400 bottle every night? Of course. I do it all the time save for a few special occasions. Not the point either. Again, I’m not questioning your wine’s QPR, style, or deliciousness (the #s look quite promising). I’m merely saying that a $400 Burg is very likely (much) better than your $25 PN. And again, there’s absolutely nothing wrong with that!

Wonder why Eastburn website only shows 2006 and 2007 wine?? Did they stop producing?

I did read his whole post and my two issues are outline above.

As to what OR PN I’ve had, we had one of the Eastburns at the So Cal gathering 2 times ago. I also tried a 2006 Z’ivo Pinot Noir Eola Amity Hills recently. And I forgot that woot had a 3-pack from the Will. valley 3-4 years ago, but all three were almost unanimously panned by everyone. I’m totally open to trying more and not at all throwing out OR with the bathwater, but I need a recommendation from someone who knows my palate before I go spending $30+ on another OR PN.

The clarification helped, but I read his post (and still do) as saying he thinks the two varietals can improve with age comparably. The high end comparison to his wines seemed to come from you, not him. All I was trying to say, it just seemed like a pretty angry response to a relatively simple opinion from my point of view. shrug

And I hear you, it’s hard to get an accurate depiction of a region when your first few bottles are let downs (one of the reasons I’ve never been big on Australian wines, actually). Hmm. Most of my faves are in the mid range (but also some of them do pop up on here and that other daily wine site we’re not supposed to mention). I can put together a list if you’re interested, but it’s neither here nor there for these since I haven’t tried them…

The best bargain nw Pinot I know of is the j. Christopher “JJ”. Seriously, whenever I see it in stores I buy as much as I can afford and it’s usually gone like that. Sokol Blossor is another that I’ve never had a bad bottle of any varietal or vintage, but especially their PN. And the Plush Reserve was an unbelievable bargain at around $23/bottle…

The only Eola I’ve liked that I can recall offhand was the Expression 44 (which was also sold on ww). Usually they just feel too…wet, I guess, like they’re watered down or something, with too little fruit.

I usually speak up emphatically on the forums when something from the nw that I love pops up. :slight_smile:

I may be beating a dead horse. If I am, tell me and we can move on. Burgundy = PN. I saw it as he was comparing his OR PN to Burgundy, arguably the best PN-producing region in the world, especially when we start talking about “great Burgundy” (his words). I don’t think I’m making that comparison, I think he did. I, of course, could be wrong, though. It happens… rarely. :tongue:

I just do not understand all the love given to the Plush Pinot Noir. I bought a four pack during a woot-off a few months ago based on the positive comments on that discussion and on previous discussions of the same wine.

My reaction after tasting the first bottle was “meh.” I found it neither offensive nor exciting. It didn’t pair well with the foods I tried it with. It seemed somewhat closed even after spending considerable time breathing. I never would have guessed it was a $20 bottle (woot price) if I had tasted it blind. And the idea that it’s actually a $50 bottle (suggested retail) is patently absurd to me.

I really am going to have to pop another cork soon just to see if that first bottle was an outlier. But at decision time I’m having a hard time convincing myself I should open another one when I have so many other wines I know I will enjoy to choose from.

Since Oregon Pinot has gotten thrown around here, I have to speak up because pinot noir from Scott Paul is some of my most favorite wine on the planet. By no means is it a bargain wine ($40-50 a bottle), but their flagship Audrey is like drinking well-crafted, balanced (fruit and acidity) silk. (I like their more ‘mundane’ Pinot lines too, but Audrey made me fall in love with them.)

+1. Love their wines. And to continue the Oregon/Burgundy conversation, proprietor Scott Wright is a Burg-nut- he has Burgundy importing biz as well.

Several of the Oregon Pinots woot has had the last year or so have been very good values for money and very decent wines. I’ve bought and light the Eastburn, the Winter Hill and a couple of others. Also the Bianca, which is pretty good. SWMBO is a pinot lover and these wines certainly work for her at a far better price point than equivalent Burgandys.

I got the Plush and the Winter’s Hill. I am completely unimpressed by the Plush (as described above). But I like the Winter’s Hill, and were it not for my current severe storage problem, would likely order more of it if it came up again.

+1, for my tastes. Although I’m only a novice wrt Oregon Pinot. The Winter’s Hill went over very well at our company’s board dinner. I’ve also enjoyed the Expression 44 Roserock, but less so their Willakia (all from woot).

“B” careful. There are a lot of Ducks in Oregon too. We also like the wine!!

What style Pinot Noir do you prefer? What are your benchmark wines for a good QPR or even just a great Pinot?

Just curious so that there is a reference point on palate.

I for one was impressed by the value play at $20 for the Plush, which is a hard price point for a good quality Pinot. My palate leans old world and I definitely don’t enjoy the ripe cola style of many RRV pinots.

There is a guy who the woot community knows well who is making rock solid Pinots at extremely good QPRs… but I am afraid to let the cat out of the bag and risk limited quantities for myself :slight_smile:

Ummmmm…email or pm? :slight_smile:

What he said ^^^^ …