WE3TEES - tgentry, twallis, and soothedbyrainfall

Buy stock in cardboard boxes. (for houses)

Unfortunately, the $700 billion thrown into the financial markets is ruining my plan to buy a 1.3 Million dollar mansion at a foreclosure sale for $500. I love how stupid people who signed up for ARM mortgages are going to get new low APR mortgages because they attempted to live far outside their means…

Yeah, wish I’d bought a really expensive house I couldn’t afford about a year ago.

They helped you. Even if you got a mansion for free, you wouldn’t be able to support it. (really? 1.3 million for a mansion??? Here it only gets a nice house. In the city it gets you a 1 or 2 bedroom in many neighborhoods)

TYVM. I still like the concept, but were I to attempt it now, the execution would be somewhat different.

I have a spreadshirt page, so I can say this:

1. The shirt quality is as good as any other PoD site (maybe worse than MySoti, but I know nothing about them at the moment). It’s digital transfer… like a high-tech computer printer on your shirt. I understand it comes out well, and lasts quite a while, but it’s not as resilient as a good screenprint. If they have any shirts with flock printing, I understand that method is pretty on-par with screenprinting, but they can only flock print up to 3 colors, and it’s only really economical for one, maaaybe two colors.

2. Spreadshirt alleges the artist has complete retention of rights for their work, so they could technically pull a design at any time and print it through an actual printshop. The issue is that most contest sites are less than apt to take a design which has been printed at all, so it’d need to be either them setting up a real screenprint venture, or else a smaller shop approaching them and asking to sell their work, and the designer agreeing.

3. I obviously can’t answer this for the designers, but it is highly unlikely that a Print-on-demand store will make sales enough to afford a real print shop (save for Amorphia Apparel). More importantly, the 1K it’d cost to get a reasonable supply of a single shirt would be pointless, since they’re already making a grand off a PoD store. They’d be better off with a real printshop if they WEREN’T selling much, oddly enough.

4. Every product has a different base price, based on type of shirt and design, so I cannot postulate what the margin is (probably different for every product). Also, it’s a bit tacky to ask what one’s profit margin is. What I do know is, you’re looking at some very reasonable prices for a PoD store.

You can all get back to making Tgentry regret posting this in EBW and not World of Woot Shirts now.

in fact i was quite surprised he did not post parallel announcements there and in the derby threads (unless those got deleted by mods)

I didn’t realize I could post this in WoW. I wasn’t sure if it was woot related enough.

you can try. the worst that could happen is that your post gets deleted and you get probated for a day or two. not a bad gamble imho.

don’t quit your day job.

JMO, but I would think that world of woot shirts would be fine, but probably not the derby thread. Not sure about WOW (on regular woot site). But what do I know? Give it a try.

And as for regretting posting it here, every time we post in this thread, we bump it back up to the top, making it more visible. Is that bad?

i thot i seen people plug their threadless submishuns on the derby thread… mabe i was rong.

Oh, well since I never read the derby threads, what do I know? I assumed that they were moderated more strictly than over here. What the heck, tgentry should give it a try!

And are you turning into a lolcat or sumthing? ur gramr and speling sem tu hav changd.

he getz board

jes tryin to make the college grads cry.

You’re making me cry and I’m not one.

NEIL GAIMAN YOU HAVE FAILED ME

Hey, we had our first sale, Twallis’ Jive Talkin’. Congrats to Twallis! One down…

“Oh Stewardess, I speak Jive!” hehe

I added “Return of the Summer Blockbuster” to my Amazon wishlist since both my birthday and Christmas are coming up. :slight_smile: