Wedderspoon Gold Raw Chilean Honey (4)

Wedderspoon Gold Raw Chilean Honey 4-Pack
$39.99 $67.96 41% off List Price
(2) Wedderspoon Gold Raw Tiaca Honey, 8.8 oz
(2) Wedderspoon Gold Raw Ulmo Honey, 8.8 oz

Website

It’s getting a little hot, 90+ degrees, I’m assuming this is not good for honey?!?

Won’t hurt it in the slightest. Honey is self-preserving. They found some in an Egyptian tomb, over 2000 years old, crystalized, but still very edible. Honey is incredible stuff.

Organic or nah? The only reference is in the company name.

I’m tempted since I do like honey and am running out at the moment but I’m aware of a lot of fakery when it comes to high end honey.

Any advise from people who know more about this or from the company would be appreciated.

If anyone cares, the “tiaca” appears to be Caldcluvia paniculata, and the “ulmo” is Eucryphia cordifolia. Wikipedia has articles on both, but there’s really not a lot of information (interestingly, it seems the ulmo is considered somewhat endangered in its natural habitat.)

OMG! Wow! I almost woke my toddler up when I saw this!

So if you’re into tea and/or honey like I am? You’re in for a true treat. I wait all YEAR for ulmo honey to come out from Chile and then I try to horde it! And this? First I’ve seen so far. Not on amazon yet! Not in whole foods. Or specialty stores. I’d think this was last year’s dregs if I didn’t believe after scowering everywhere online that last year’s was sold out early and fast!

So yeah, I made an involuntary joyful noise. It’s pretty hard to find and once it’s gone? You have to wait for it – and I do! I’ve been out for months!

Taste-wise ulmo is my favorite here. One of my all-time loves. To describe? That is hard because it’s so very light and floral. Like no other honey you’ve had. It’s similar in sweetness to a white Himalayan but has a definitive and unique floral taste. Not cloyingly flowered, but delicate and perfume-y. Holds up well to even a light black tea and takes milk well without overpowering all the flavors (tea and milk).

Now healing-wise? Properties are similar to mankua but without the strong tea-tree medicinal taste (which I also like but it’s like champagne (ulmo taste) to a strong bock beer (mankua)). Ulmo is still powerful even with it’s delicious sweet, light taste, it still can knock out a virus fast. Even my skeptical husband was impressed by taste and power – he owns a toystore in Chicago. It’s what he brings to work to keep from getting sick when EVERYONE else and their kid.

Price? In season I’ve bought one small jar at whole foods for 8.99, towards the end of the season I’ve paid 12.99 plus shipping which can be high. The husband let me because we were out and he “needed” it, but then it was gone. And you wait until NOW!

Now the Tiaca has a completely different taste and texture. It feels more dense and buttery on the tongue, feel is more like tupelo but without tupelo’s distinctive pine taste. It’s stronger-tasting than ulmo, will take over a light tea, and if they made vanilla licorice, this is how I’d imagine it tasting. It is not as medicinal tasting as mankua and I never noticed any immune boost or cold fighting benefits as I do from ulmo and mankua. It is a pleasant honey and I like it in herbal teas or tisane drinks that on their own might not taste very nice (I’m looking at you valerian and skullcap). It’s lovely with camomile.

So no, up north it’s not “honey” season, but these are out only once a year and there’s not tons of either of them produced. It’s well worth grabbing and storing although mine never last. I’m always out and waiting for the next year’s harvest. I’ve bought this for $8.99 and once for $6.99 but I usually only buy this because I’m craving ulmo and nothing is like it.

Hope that helps describe. Off to buy! Thanks, woot!

And some health studies on Ulmo in case anyone else is a google wannabe-doctor/health geek like I am (can’t make links easily on my phone one handed while holding my sleeping toddler, sorry. If I let her go, she’ll wake up and want her 438th glass of water tonight -_-):

I’d rather continue to support my local beekeepers. Pass.

Not organic - according to:
http://www.wedderspoon.com/shop/Wedderspoon-Gold-Ulmo-Honey.html
and
http://www.wedderspoon.com/shop/Wedderspoon-Gold-Tiaca-Honey.html

Didn’t see this on the packaging, but remember that honey is not safe for babies. Children under the age of one are at risk of intestinal botulism because of spores common in all honey.

While I would love to always support my local beekeepers, many of them are not in production here yet - spring has been very cool, so things are taking a while to flower. Also, I use enough honey throughout the year that I can buy this and still by local once new raw honey gets to the shelves. I think I am in for at least one.

Who in the hell would eat 2000 year old honey to see if it was edible?!??!

…and were those purchases for ~9oz jars?

This is very tasty honey, but as mentioned earlier, I prefer to support the local producers.

Aside from keeping the money in the community and supporting a local business, there is another benefit of local honey - if you are prone to allergies the local honey, having a lot of the sniffling/eye watering causing pollen in it, helps build up your body’s natural immunity. Same goes with locally sourced bee pollen.

That shill suteishichic convinced me…I think I have to try this :slight_smile:

Plus I don’t think we have any local bee keepers in the big city?

Last wooter to woot:tytiger58

Very interesting info in this thread, particularly from suteishichic. But I am fortunate enough to have a friend in Bodega Bay who gives me locally gathered honey in such bounty that I give away a fair amount more than I can personally use. Tastes good, but I’m no honey connoisseur. It could be the equivalent of mass marketed grocery store wine and I probably wouldn’t know!

Thank you suteishichic for the great run down of these honeys! I was waffling a bit on whether or not to try them, and you have definitely swayed me towards them.

And to those saying they’ll only support their local bee keepers, I don’t understand the rationale. You can’t have both? Honey from different regions tastes different and by all means support your local guys, but nothing wrong with having different types of honey on hand. Honey doesn’t go bad.

I would, for one. I should have clarified:

They knew of honey’s properties long before the discovery of it in the tomb. So, they’d already have known if it was honey, it was probably edible.

Hi, the Chilean honeys are tested in the same way we test our Organic honeys, the only difference is the farm in Chile is not certified Organic, although all the same important aspects are followed. This honey is NON-GMO, antibiotic free, never any additives if any kind, no manipulation. Very clean, very pure.