Wedderspoon Gold Raw Chilean Honey (4)

WOW … Expensive honey

I buy from a local beekeeper, by the quart jar. It’s raw, just strained through a filter to get the stingers out.
There’s usually 5 or 6 flavors, depending on the location of the hive.
$10 a qt. It’s really good!

Yeah, I’d probably try 2000 year old honey if I had the chance. Hopefully it would better than the old expensive egg someone made me once try. shudder

A shill? Really? I’m a sahm to a 3 yo and a border collie and my husband owns a collectible toystore in Chicago that starts with a Q. Call him and ask. Please. I wanna hear him laugh all the way down the street.

I’m sure this is not organic, but I’m questioning if the organic labels can even be trusted. See the reports on how little honey is actually in many honeys? Even organic ones? Wedderspoon was recently called out for their mankua having under testing very little mankua in it.

The size I previously bought was the same exact one and the bottle shapes exactly as unique although a different label. I guessed since there is so little of this that they are all processed in the same place/same source and labeled by the buyer?

And I do support the local beekeepers around Chicago as well (there’s even a honey co-op here!) but honey varies by region and there are some real treasures to try both in flavor and properties. White honey, tupelo, orange blossom, real mankua, ulmo, sourwood, sidr, to name just a few and I find it’s a great way to learn about an area actually.

The compounder pharmacy I use interestingly is also a passionate beekeeper (they’re in Aurora). Their honey REALLY helps during allergy season but is not great-tasting. I’m not a big dogwood fan and it kinda tastes like ithat smells with a bit of goldenrod? Earthy and mediciny with old lady perfume mixed in. I take a spoonful when my allergies have me stuffed up. Works great!

Start your own hive.

http://www.EvansCedarBeehives.com

Two things. Tyger was joking when he called you a “shill.” And, thank you for sharing your honey wisdom. I had no idea honey was so expressive. I’m not a huge honey fan, but now I’m interested.

How do you consume the honey so as not to mask the various flavor aspects?

Hi again, please feel free to be in touch with us at Wedderspoon , we will answer any questions honestly. Our Manuka in fact is always tested 70% or higher pollen count, Wedderspoon is a company with such integrity, I am proud to be employeed by them. I hope everyone enjoys there wonderful Chilean honeys! I know I love them myself. Thank you Wine Woot and all the Wooters!

And he did purchase. You, he and Kyle now have me interested.

(I wasn’t really mad and sorry if my poor stab at humor seemed like I was. No, I just really wanted someone to call my husband and ask. He says he wonders what I do all day. It beats my standard answer of chasing around after a toddler and a border collie!)

As for tastes? I used to bartend a billion years ago. I like playing with flavors and water. Leave me in a tea shop for an hour or so and I’m a happy girl. I love it like I love exploring wines from the history to the regions to the better years and seasons. There are always new things to learn and try, so it’s fun.

There are so many different teas to try with different honeys. That and traveling are kinda how I got started with honeys a long time ago. I also use honeys and teas in cooking and baking which I did much more of before kiddo.

Darjeeling and Assam are two staples I use with tasting different honeys.

Darjeeling (first or second flush) are nice, light teas (that can be very fruity) with a clean finish. You can really taste a light honey and sometimes the tea brings out flavors in a honey (and vice versa) that would not be noticed if you just tried a spoonful. The ulmo is great with Darjeeling and it takes a good milk well.

Assam is more astringent to malty so a stronger honey is a nice counter-note. Tupelo can be lovely with it and Assam is what I would first use with trying Tiaca.

A Darjeeling is probably fine with it too, but you will not teally taste the tea, just the honey.

And that’s just two of the black teas! There are a zillion combinations. Come to think of it, there was a yellow tea I really loved with the Tiaca. I think I need to buy some new teas before the honey arrives.

Have fun! :slight_smile:

And now Wedderspoon employee, you have me curious about your Mankua. There’s a discussion on Amazon about the reports showing little pollen in testing and someone there supposedly from your company said it was illegal to show the actual test results!

I generally only buy UMF certified mankua, but I completely understand that much like the organic certification in the USA, you’re paying for a name/label. And I’m not sure if they’re being aggressive with protecting their label, the honey, or what.

So, I’m curious. I’d love to compare with the ones I know and also wonder if what is in NZ is the same as is here in the US.