Wellington Cabernet Sauvignon Assortment

I talked about this some on my vintner’s voice mail, but I guess I recorded it too late for inclusion. The 2006 grapes tended to have less tannin than 2005, so many wines are softer. In our case, we added all of the press wine back to the free run with both Mohrhardt and Handal (whereas, more often than not, we typically don’t use press wine in the single vineyard Cabernets or the Victory. The Karren never lacks for tannin, so it was pressed after only five days of fermentation, aged in a higher percentage of new oak, and the press wine was excluded.

All three are very typical of their respetive vineyard sources. The Karren is still the chewiest, but is softer than the 2005 is right now.

Buy a little less, drink a lot more!

The Duchess will be near equal parts of Sauvignon blanc, Roussanne and Chardonnay,
with about 8% mixed old vine whites, including Semillon, Muscadelle de Bordelais, Palomino and Monbadon.

I’ll be back in the morning to respond to any questions you’ld like to ask (about wine, etc).

Goodnight all.

I promised I wouldn’t check wine.woot until I finished my taxes. Well, I’m done, and I’m getting a refund. I’m in for three. Love, love, love my Wellingtons, though I’m going to have to start drinking them faster. I’m up to several cases of Peter’s wines resting quietly, just waiting for the right time to open up.

Several years ago, I gave my first Wellington purchase as a gift to my brother. I had no idea what I was giving him. Never again - it’s all for me now. Fortunately, he shared.

I’m working on it…where’s that LA area gathering people were talking about…

I’m sleeping on this and will decide 1 or 2 in the morning. Unless the east coasters buy it all. That’ll teach me.

Can I buy a set of the 2005s from you? It’ll lighten your issue! And… See you this week!

You have some strange grapes on your estate, Peter! This should help a few people hit their wine variety century! Btw, people have been asking me, what’s in the Duke from the last two years again?
And… Sorry if I miss the Vintner’s voicemail!

Yep…This is a tax day sale…

If they want to give me money back…

I will spend it on wine!

Welcome back “HOME” to Woot, Peter!!!

Peter’s wines are an auto-buy, usually X3 if funds and SWMBO permit.

Peter has a lovely touch with Cabernet; it’s harder to get really interesting results with Cabernet in Sonoma County than in the heart of the Rutherford Bench in Napa, but Wellington wines are always worth trying. Outstanding QPR, always.

Peter is always gracious to wooters visiting him, and anyone who has been on one of our Tours will tell you Peter is one of everyone’s very favorites who goes well out of his way to share his love of wine and his knowledge in exciting ways. We have no better friend in the Sonoma Valley.

While Peter will tell you, correctly, his wines are designed for present to mid-term drinking, I will tell you they age well for those with the patience to wait. On the 2008 Magical History Tour, peter shared a very large bottle of his 1995 Cabernet Sauvignon. At 13 this wine was still developing, though quite mature enough to be the wine of the night (though the competition from its 1994 Wellington Zinfandel sibling made the choice a close run thing!) at our dinner at Deuce - a wonderful restaurant that (alas) is no more.

We are all looking forward to seeing Peter and what he has in store for us in July.

Been a long time since my last winewoot purchase. It took a Wellington deal to coax me. You know, it might have been a Wellington for my first, too. It’s amazing what a loyal following he has (well deserved, though).

db

I am trusting all of the positive comments, and am in for one.

Could use some advice from those with Wellington experience. I’ve seen comments about breathing and about laying down for these wines - what’s the sweet spot in terms of aging vs. impatience? I.e., after how many years (weeks, days?) should I even consider opening?

Can’t pass it up…

Speed to First Woot: 0m 43.517s
First Sucker: MarkDaSpark
Last Wooter To Woot: fred2001

Still have the 2005’s on ice from years back. Missed these last time they were offered. In for 2!!!

Autobuy for me! Can’t wait to see you in July Peter!

…and the thou shalt woot will be 2 or three. One is right out.

Wellington club shipment last week from Toby, ouch! in a good way.

In for three here, ouch! also a good way.

Taxes, triple ouch! not in a good way.

Same here, and that’d despite the fact that I just GOT six bottles from last week’s Wellington wine club shipment. Of course only in for one because like Mark, I have NO ROOM!

Love Peter’s wines so I’m probably in for at least two anyway, but can someone speak to the style of these cabs?

I love Peter’s victory Reserve(also 2006, but a mostly cab blend) because of a gorgeous nose and wonderful mouthfeel.

How would you compare/contrast these wines to the Victory Reserve??

I’m definitely going to be in on this, not sure yet about 1 or 2, but I will not miss the opportunity to extract as much knowledge for Peter as I can.

Peter, from what I can see on the write-ups, the Karren seems to be more tannic and earthy, the Handal-Denier seems to be a little brighter and bolder and the Mohrhardt Ridge seems to be more complex with a wider array of flavors and maybe even a bit lighter? I’m just wondering what else you might be able to add/correct from this observation comparing the 3 different vineyards. I’m guessing these are all a direct reflection of the terrior, and you let that speak for itself.

The write-up on the Handal-Denier notes a bit of sweetness, is this from any RS or just from the bold fruit flavors?

Also in keeping with the comparison, what about the Mohrhardt Ridge leads you to using both French and American Oak, as opposed the others which you just use French? Also, though I know it is very commonly done, what does the Cab Franc add to this wine?

Also just an observation. The Mohrhardt Ridge production is 4 times that of the other two, is this due to general yields, availability of sources, etc?

Thanks!