Wellington Chardonnay (6) -- Remix

Oh my!
What a lovely surprise after missing out on the 2012 earlier today!

Well, hello again.

I guess this answers RJQ’s question about whether we’d see the 2013 Chardonnay here.

This 2013 version is stylistically quite similar to the 2012, but there are differences due both to vintage variation (weather, essentially) and a change in vineyard source / clones. Our two largest sources of Chardonnay for many years have been our estate vineyard and the Nelson Vineyard on Sonoma Mountain. Since 2008 we have also used Carneros Chardonnay, typically 20-25% of the blend. The Carneros vineyard we used in 2012 was bulldozed after harvest that year, but in 2013 we were able to obtain a few tons of beautiful grapes from Dale Ricci, including one press load of an extremely aromatic clone. Although that one press load comprised only about 6% of our 2013 Chardonnay blend it definitely has an impact. To me it has just a hint of a floral character along with the expected apple, pear, citrus, toasted bread, crème brulee etc. I like it.

And here I was coming back to dip into some more of the '12…
Guess the '13 will have to do now.

Thanks again Peter!

2013 seems a little bit older for a chardonnay. How long has this wine been released and what is the drinking window for the wine. Should there be any concerns with the 3 years since the vintage essentially is the gist of the question? We love your reds but are not as familiar with your whites. We want some oak presence which is sounds like this has?

This is the quietest I have ever seen it for a Wellington discussion!!

Wellington Vineyards Chardonnay 6-Pack Remix – 2013 Vintage
$69.99 $144.00 51% off List Price
2013 Wellington Vineyards Chardonnay, Sonoma Valley

This is actually a recent release. We just sold the last of the 2012 right here today. Our Chardonnay is built to develop in bottle and is usually at its best 3-5 years from the vintage. We are currently 3 years and 4 months removed from the 2013 vintage. Some of the keys to making age worthy Chardonnay include using fruit with good flavor/aroma intensity and some tannin, treating the wine gently and protecting it from oxygen at every stage, and perhaps most importantly, low pH.

Could we get some additional deets to supplement the AbV?

Co-worker wants some, so, in for another set.

So by low pH do mean it has some acid? Can I assume that it is not creamy? How oaky would you say that it is?

25% was produced by cold stainless steel fermentation, racked off the lees within a few weeks after fermentation is complete and no malo-lactic fermentation. The balance was barrel fermented in French oak (less than 25% new oak). Barrel fermentation contributes smoothness, richness, creaminess to the wine. Low pH does mean more tartness / perception of acid. The goal is textural harmony - seamlessness. As I said regarding the previous offer (2012) today, this is below average on the oakinless scale for a California Chardonnay. For my preference, oak should always be subtle and integrated with other wine aromas, never obvious like Tammy Faye Bakker’s makeup

This is round 2.
Here’s round 1: http://wine.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=7068806&pageindex=1&replycount=32

I don’t think I can justify two sets in one day! Maybe next time (and next cc cycle)

Wow. Not sure I have ever seen 100% of purchasers over one year old. That says something.

Already got 3 of the 2012. Not sure I can justify more 2013. Thanks for bringing more to the table though.

I shoulda just hit the get three to begin with.
Split coming at you.

I’m bummed I missed out on the 2012, but I’m thankful for the chance to try the 2013. Similar to others that have posted, I’m not much of a chard drinker, but I have great faith in Peter and I’m looking forward to trying his take on the varietal. Thanks Peter :slight_smile:

Edit: Last wooter to Woot!