Wellington Syrah 2 x 2 Pack

The Estate is exclusively from our vineyard/winery site - about 1/3 ancient vines and 2/3 younger vines. The EnglandCrest is literally right next door. I was still managing/farming/sharecropping EnglandCrest in 2006. Therefore, the soils, climate, and farming are close to identical. Winemaking techniques are also very similar; the main differences in these wines is due to the clones, rootstocks, and vine age.

That several of the reviews on CT keep talking about blueberries push me even closer to hitting the big button. I really don’t need more wine nor do I have room for it!

(Trifling problems, I know…:))

I am flat out broke right now… but just yesterday I was lamenting the fact I no longer have any Wellington Syrahs around, and lo and behold, a 4-pack pops up.

Do I go for broke and hit up the full 12 and face the wrath of the wife, dial back, feeling guilty and get 8, hit the cheapskate route and go for 4, or save myself the interest and pass for this time? Man, I am just torn. Darn you, SB (and of course WD)!

The 2006 EnglandCrest is a w00t launch (other than our wine club).

We’re big fans of the cabs and were hoping they would come up on the woot off. Never tried Wellington syrahs, but we’re hoping they’re as good. In for 1.

There’s always next time:)

Then thank you! In for… er… 12. I still have some questions though to help me understand them as I drink / keep them! Feel free to blind us with growing techniques and grapes, and what kinds of outcomes you’re looking for as a grower in answering my simple, dumb questions below :slight_smile:

So, is the Estate bottling the “reserve” one? You call it more supple and less acid, easier to drink without food.

Or are they both just different styles and both as complex / structured?

(Edit: in previous Syrah discussions, the cognoscenti on here have asked things about whether a Syrah is in the style of a Cote Rotie, or other regions, or how a winemaker is looking for a Rhone style at all. From what I gather you’re one of the best so you’ll know exactly how your techniques compare, what flavours you’re looking for and what style you’re definitely NOT. I bet those smart guys arrive in a minute asking these kinds of clever questions in erudite manners, but this is my shot :sunglasses:

VERY tempting offer, but I need to stick to my SIWBM, seriously this time. :frowning:

It’s nice to see you back PW. It feels like it’s been a while. I hope all is well.

I absolutely loved the Wellington Cabernet Trio deal. I’ve tried one of the bottles, and it was the most excellent wine I’ve ever tasted, and my dad agreed. We’re not very disciplined wine connoisseurs, but we do know when we taste good wine.

So, I’ve been waiting and waiting for more Wellington deals… Now I’m contemplating on how many of these to get. 12 bottles would be a lot of wine, but I have faith that they would be very good wine. My wine cabinet is full, and I already have extra wine on the floor. I need to hurry up and bust open the staircase to create a cellar…

Sleep at your peril. That bouncing ball may come and go like a thief in the darkness.

Tough question!..Both fit the Wellington house style. I find the Estate more complex and interesting but a little more elegant as far as structure goes. The EnglandCrest is darker, more intense and not as complicated.

Thank you! Sounds like the EnglandCrest is rougher, more tanniny, and will soften with age, whereas the Estate will just daintily redden… :slight_smile: I’ll enjoy comparing them. Glad I bought the full load.

I’ve managed to improve the questions, maybe:
In previous Syrah discussions, the cognoscenti on this here woot thing have asked things about whether a Syrah is in the style of a Cote Rotie, or other regions, or how a winemaker is looking for a Rhone style at all. Now you have your own style (eg. 5% viog not Cote Rotie’s 20%), but can you tell us how your Syrahs might compare in tasting to various other known styles, for those who haven’t had the privilege of tasting them yet. And also so we can know what to look for these differences and aspects in drinking!

From what I gather you’re one of the best so you’ll know something of how your techniques compare, what flavours you’re looking for and what kind of styles you’re definitely NOT. I bet those smart guys arrive in a minute asking these kinds of clever questions in erudite manners, but this is my shot :sunglasses:

Thanks,

I have been particularly occupied with family matters - my wife’s been gone about 50% of the last 4+ months helping care for her mother. I’ve been meaning to write a blog entry since harvest ended, but carpools, cooking, etc. have taken priority. I’ve got even more respect for single parents than I had previously.

I’d love to say my Syrahs emulate Cote Rotie, my Cabernets Bordeaux, Chardonnays Burgundy, etc., but the truth of the matter is that our fruit doesn’t grow in France, it grows in Sonoma. While I am influenced by European winemaking style and tradition, it would be a mistake to try to mimic those wines. As far as I’m concerned wines should have a sense of place. I like to think that my wines express the terroirs of Sonoma with some old world sensibility or frame of reference.

edit: what styles I’m not: sweet, oak dominated, “Parkerized”

And with that, off to bed - I’ve got to get up at 6 to make breakfast for my 15 yr. old and get her to school. See you in the morning.

SB: Did you know going in that you’d add the touch of viognier to one syrah but not the other? What goes into that decision? Thanks!

Thank you again for your fast responses! I think that’s enough from me. The Syrah hordes will doubtless descend upon you in the morning with their clever, complicated queries. good luck with the children single-handed!

In for 2. Very little Syrah in my collection and never enough Wellington in general. Prayers going out to your wife and her family, Peter. Best wishes to all.

Hey WineDavid, what happened to New Hampshire? Yesterday the Ty Caton, today the Wellington. They both used to ship here, but now neither of them do. Was there some change to the shipping laws?

No brainer for me, if these are remotely the QPR as the cabs Ill be thrilled!

Wellington, of course in for 1!