WEN Gas Generators - Your Choice of Wattage

Time to check out the product page for the 56475

and

Let’s learn all about WEN

and

Don’t forget, SAFETY FIRST!

I’m curious as to how many total amps this can handle and if the four outlets are broken up into two separate circuits or are all four outlets on the same circuit.

Home Depot has some good reviews for the 9000W and 3500W

Can anyone give me an idea of which unit might work to power a sump pump, water pump and fridge (as well as charging phones/laptop/router)? What if I wanted to add in the water heater and/or furnace? Do I need the highest wattage?

Many places online that have the wattage info. Here are a couple.

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/resources/images/video/wattage_calculator/wattage_calclulator.html

http://www.generatorsales.com/wattage-calculator.asp

The sump pump, water pump, water heater and charging duties do not require a big generator. However, the furnace depends on what kind of heating you have. For example, if you have hot water baseboard heating, a smaller to medium generator will be okay…on the other hand a forced hot air system will require one of the larger generators. To be sure, you can check with each of the items you wish to run and add up the draw of all of them, then compare with the generator that suits you best.

A WORD OF CAUTION TO ANY WHO WANT TO PURCHASE A GENERATOR. This is one of the best times of the year to buy a generator! Why?..because demand is relatively low and stocks are up. This translates into low prices. If you wait until July, you will have the hurricane season upon you. At that time demand will be high and growing fast, stocks will be low and prices will hit the ceiling. When a hurricane or bad storm is heading your way, it will be too late. At this point you couldn’t find a generator even if you were willing to pay a premium and your brother-in-law owns a generator shop.

Why do all of the outlets have a 120v label on them, but one of them should be 240v?

The links to Home Depot WEN generators have a generator with an outlet indicating 240v.

Take a look at the larger 7000 or 9000. They both have an outlet for 240 volts.

P = E times I

P = Watts

E = Volts

I = Amps

Don’t kid yourself – the “N” is for NOISE. I don’t think they make generator in this form factor that’s not horrifically loud, to be used at a time when your neighborhood is pin-drop quiet.

I have seen projects to build housings for these things, but it’s kind of involved because you need to vent all of the heat.

I bought one in a previous Woot!, the 9000W version. It came delivered in one piece with no scratches or dents, started up pretty easily, and runs good. Of course now that I have a generator the power will never, ever go out, but I am OK with that too.

As for noise: No, it isn’t a whispering Honda, its also a lot cheaper. Make no mistake, the 9000W has a 15HP engine, and it is going to make some noise. It is quieter than my Cub Cadet WAW mower, but of course I don’t run that at night. I have a large enough yard that any neighbors are more than 250’ from where I’d be running it. If you live in a tight neighborhood, the noise may be an issue.

There are several places on line that will be uncovered with a search for adapting generators to have quieter mufflers. Some companies , particularly the ones who make hospital generators or RV generators have super quiet mufflers for their engines…keep in mind most engines are noisy on their own even with a quiet muffler. Also, in the middle of a hurricane when the neighborhood is without power no one (and I mean noone) is going to care if your gen unit is running. Not only will you find it’s not as loud as you think it is once you walk around the side of the house, you find out how many neighbors have gen units too.

Personally, I don’t trust WEN - was always a cheap Chinese brand.

The smallest would be fine for the first solution.

The answer to the second part depends on what type of water heater, and furnace you have. If they are gas, and just requires power for blowers then the next size up would be fine. If they are electric, none of these will really work, although the largest could power an electric water heater (probably)

You should also consider a manual transfer switch (makes life easier)

Would this type of generator be good for power outage emergency at your home? What would you use it for? Charge laptop? Run the fridge? I haven’t had to deal with power outage longer than 12 hours, so not sure how to handle a situation longer than that. Thanks for any advice/opinions. wooters!

I have a 6500W Generac unit in my detached garage that I can back-feed to my house (after throwing the house main of course) and it’s pretty damn loud.
Earlier this year I embarked upon a project to put a fitting on the exhaust from the muffler and route the exhaust outside my garage through about 5 feet of iron pipe so I can run the generator while it’s secured inside the garage.
(Yes, I know this is not recommended)

Even with the exhaust routed outside, it’s still loud as hell. And stepping outside to where the pipe exits, the noise coming from the pipe is almost negligble.

In other words, the exhaust is NOT the source of 90% of the noise these things make.

On day 4 of a power outage this winter I borrowed a generator the same size as the smallest one here. I back-fed it into my house wiring and ran a fridge, a full-size freezer and the blower for my gas-fired, forced hot air heating system. I also ran a coffee maker and charged every device I own.

I have city water and a gas water heater so I never lose the ability to shower but an electric water heater would probably crush the little one.

I have a 6500 watt Generac too. It is very loud with just the factory spark arrestor. A few years ago i welded a pipe bracket to the spark arrestor and installed a standard truck muffler to the bracket using flexible metal tubing. The result was a surprisingly quiet running generator. The truck muffler totally cuts out all the loud spark arrestor noise. All the sound that was left was similar to the sound of my car idling. Actually, it is more quiet than my car idling. When I put the generator behind my home, you can’t even hear it running in front of my house. Also, the power loss due to using a truck muffler is negligible at the very worst. This would be my suggestion to anyone for making their generator more quiet.

Not really. A gas or oil-fired forced hot air system runs on 110VAC and only needs enough power to run a motor.

A heat-pump is another matter entirely.