WEN Gas Generators - Your Choice of Wattage

Price: $259.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard
Condition: New

Comparison Links:
[Google Products](WEN - Google Shopping Gas Generators - Your Choice of Wattage) - [Amazon](http://www.amazon.com/s/?field-keywords=WEN Gas Generators - Your Choice of Wattage) - [Previous Woot Sales](Google Gas Generators - Your Choice of Wattage)

http://d3gqasl9vmjfd8.cloudfront.net/0fdd0c4a-07de-4a6e-aa64-8675cd96e8b0.jpg

Price: $259.99 - $719.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard
Condition: New

[http://www.wootstalker.com/images/blog.png

Read the Blog](http://tools.woot.com/blog/post/wen-gas-generators-your-choice-of-wattage) [http://www.wootstalker.com/images/buy.png

Buy It](WEN Gas Generators - Your Choice of Wattage) [http://www.wootstalker.com/images/amazon.png

Search Amazon](http://www.amazon.com/s/?field-keywords=WEN Gas Generators - Your Choice of Wattage) [http://www.wootstalker.com/images/google.png

Search Google](WEN - Google Shopping Gas Generators - Your Choice of Wattage)

Home Depot has some good reviews for the 9000W and 3500W

Check out the product page for the 56352 , 56682 and the 56877

I am wanting to run 28 amps off of one of these. Is that possible? (4 moonwalk blowers, each blower is 7 amps) Will any of these generators be able to handle that many amps? It says that there are four 120 outlets, but are they on two different circuits or do they share one curcuit?

You couldn’t spend your money more wisely and with more potential satisfaction than buying a good generator for yourself and for your family. I own 2 generators and the first outage we EVER had (Sandy) more than justified and paid for the cost of the generators.

So here you have an American company who is marketing a line of generators under their own name, but they are born, built and completely assembled in China. Please understand that there is NOTHING wrong with a Chinese generator…as I said, I own two of them. The price you are getting here is a very good price when you consider that you are getting shipping for $5. The two larger generators shown here weigh in at about 200 lbs. or more. In the real world it will cost you well over $100 to ship one of these generators, perhaps more depending on where you live.

Okay, so what will the generator do for you? Well I’ll answer this way: When Sandy blew in one year ago last month (I live in NJ) the generator was the ONLY thing which separated me and my family from total insanity! We had all the comforts of home, heat, lights, TV and computers, hot water and everything else you would normally have.

So if you do not own a generator, jump in and get your feet wet. You will not be sorry! By the way, all of the engines in these machines are cloned Honda engines and they run very will. Change the oil frequently, do not keep fuel in the tank and perform tune ups as you would with your automobile. Doing this will insure that your new generator will run strong and perform well for many years into the future.

Yes. power (watts) = voltage (volts) x current (amps).

So you will require 28 amps x 120 volts = 3360 watts; assuming they are 120 volt blowers.

I would go for the 7000 watter. Better to be safe than sorry.

Hey guys- Per the vendor, we aren’t able to offer these generators in California.

If you’re the person that ordered, you’ll be refunded tomorrow. Sorry for the mix-up.

The generators here are listed in terms of wattage. If your fans suck up more than the wattage listed, that generator will not do the trick. If your fans require wattage near the limits of the generator, then you will need a larger generator or two of the generators shown here. Believe it or not, two generators will be cheaper than buy one large one. I’ve been down this street and I already researched this question.

Last thing that’s important to say before I hit the sack…

When there is a wide spread outage, homes are not the only customers who are effected. Many restaurants are closed, as well as supermarkets, malls, and most importantly GAS STATIONS! You may need to travel many miles to find gas stations that are pumping gas with generator power. Unfortunately the lines will be very long and time consuming to wait on and the gas prices my be artificially inflated, to add to your misery. So what do you do?

Well here’s what I did. I found a company (there are about 4 or 5 of them online) that sells a kit that bolts up to your engine, allowing you to burn your choice of gas, propane or natural gas, by just flipping a switch. I purchase one of these kits and installed it on my generator. It was inexpensive and quite easy, even if you are not a gear head. I now burn natural gas, which saves me more than 1/2 the cost of gas, not to mention finding a working gas station and waiting on line.

I suggest you consider the 7000 or 9000 watt unit. Each blower motor may only draw 7 amps while running, but the starting current of a AC motor is several times its running current. Even if you started the blowers one at a time, the running current of the operating blowers plus the starting current of any one blower would likely overload the 3500 watt unit.

More specifics on your adaptation would be welcomed… thanks for the outlook…would like to know more!

I noticed that, too. Plus, you’d have an extra one if one were to give out too soon. Great idea to order 2 of the smaller ones! How protected from the elements do these have to be while in use? While in storage? Would a makeshift tent or canopy be enough? (They could stay in my barn while not in use, but that wouldn’t be very convenient to where I would need to use them.)

more info on where to get the natural gas conversion kits please…thanks

Google is your friend

I bought a generator during hurricane Sandy and I also agree it is a great investment. It sucks buying when you don’t need it, but consider it insurance, when you do need to use it you will LOVE it.

That being said, there is an investment to be made. If you only have the generator, you will have to run extension cords all over your house. I had to have one window slightly open to pull the extension cords into the house, so there was a nice leak of cold air even though I taped it off. Then I had extension cords and distribution plugs littered all around the house. Things like my built in fridge had to be pulled away from the cabinetry to work.

If you do get one of these I recommend an Interlock kit. I looked at getting a transfer panel but they cost more and you have to pick which circuits you want to power. With the interlock kit I can power every outlet in the house, I just need to make sure I keep certain items turned off (Central AC) and turn off lights in a room before moving to the next so I don’t trip the circuit in the generator. Now I have a nice outlet outside my house to plug it into, no more extension cords, etc.

Figure you will pay around $500 for an interlock kit, outside panel and labor to an electrician to install. Less if you can do it yourself. I looked at getting the natural gas conversion but while the kit was cheap, labor was going to be nearly $2K for me to have a natural gas line ran to where my generator would be. While I would love it I will continue to have to search for gas in the future.

I may have missed it somewhere but any idea of run times on a tank of gas?

There is an easier way to “create” an interlock. If you wire a dryer plug for 30 amps at 240 V to your panel, you can build a reverse plug for your generator. But before I go further, please understand that the “interlock” is really either your meter head, or your main breaker on the house panel.

The best interlock is that while the power is still lost to the neighborhood, you pull the meter head all the way out. Many new meters are smart though, and when you want to use it again the power might not go through it and then you have to argue with the company as to why you did this. The reason for it is to protect any of their workers once you turn power back on via your generator and new plug connection. Next option is to turn off or - even better - pull the main breaker out of the panel BEFORE you turn on and plug in your generator.

You will only have 30 amps across your whole house, but if you are very judicious about your power, it is actually enough for most homes. The furnace motor will run, a few refridgerators, especially if they are newer will be ok, but stop playing with the stove, microwave, and toaster at the same time. Central air and all but one small AC are probably not wise.

When the neighborhood homes all start showing lights, you reverse the connection process. Generator off, PULL REVERSE PLUG OUT, then put meter head or main breaker back in, or turn main breaker back on.

It might be wise to tape shut the panel when you are running your own power so no one inadvertently
turns the main on, think tag out procedure.

I have only lost power 2 or 3 times in 20 years, but it is a nice thing to know you do not have to worry about freezing kids or water pipes during a bad ice storm. And this somewhat meager solution is is phenomenally cheaper than a properly wired and sized whole house natural gas generator with a transfer switch installed. ($3K-5K)

The biggest genset is really a good deal, but I do not know about Wen reliabilty.

The product pages from this post have wiring diagrams. For a 120 volt, 28 amp load you’d need at least the 7,000 watt generator, and I didn’t look at the diagram for that one, but the 9,000 watt gennie shows that the 120v receptacles are two to a circuit, and each circuit is 20 amps, so it should certainly meet your needs.