Wesley Ashley Wines Sampler (3)

Wesley Ashley Wines Sampler 3-Pack
$69.99 (Normally $110.00) 36% off List Price
2 2007 Intelligent Design Cuvée
1 2009 Intelligent Design Cuvée Blanc

Winery website

Summer shipping is in effect so don’t worry about your wine.
Every winery needs a separate license from each state which is why your state isn’t listed.

™ © ®

The name made me look :tongue:

The addition of a few % pinot noir made me come here and wonder aloud why one would do that. Any guesses or winemakers around?

Looks like a tough sell: some generically Rhonish central coast blends at ~$23 per bottle. This just gives the impression of a first time producer with average fruit sources pricing to cost.

And now having looked at their website . . . . the first impression is about right. Successful business guy, loves wine, starts winery. Sorry, but that’s a pass.

Remember when Michael Jordan decided to play baseball? Being a baller at one thing doesn’t usually translate easily or immediately to another. Even Journeyman pros in their field are a more reliable bet. And at this price point you can also find entry-level cuvees from some great producers.

Pretty bottles… :slight_smile:
I know nothing about wine and have only bought from WineWoot! once and that was for decoration purposes… needed the bottles for a wine rack I bought at a yard sale for $3. :slight_smile:
$3 wine rack = $79 in wine… What the heck was I thinking?!

The Intelligent Design Cuvee Blanc was the last of the four wines we had as bonus tasters at the Denver Wine.Woot gathering.

While I do agree that it had a nice silky mouthfeel, I really only got the mineral taste from this, and none of the more complex flavors the wine description describes.

I’ve gone back to the bottle in the fridge a couple of times since, and found it to be a perfectly adequate patio wine, but not something I’m willing to pay the offer price for.

A visit to the winery’s website makes it clear that this wine’s name means exactly what I thought it did.

Pass with extreme Darwinian prejudice.

Successful family guy starts winery. Loves his job. Loves his grapes. And loves the awards. Sorry, we’re not just dabbling here!

Get it? Got it? Good. But you don’t have to get it to appreciate the wine. Haven’t you ever heard the phrase “Don’t judge a book by its cover?”

You’re thinking how great those bottles will look in a wine rack, and you’re going to dig the wine. And yeah, our labels rock! Thanks!

Our bad. This was meant for you!

Successful family guy starts winery. Loves his job. Loves his grapes. And loves the awards. Sorry, we’re not just dabbling here!

Just so we’re all clear on what we’re talking about. From wikipedia:
Intelligent design (ID) is a form of creationism promulgated by the Discovery Institute. The Institute defines it as the proposition that “certain features of the universe and of living things are best explained by an intelligent cause, not an undirected process such as natural selection.”[1][2] It is a contemporary adaptation of the traditional teleological argument for the existence of God, presented by its advocates as “an evidence-based scientific theory about life’s origins” rather than “a religious-based idea”.[3] The leading proponents of intelligent design are associated with the Discovery Institute, a politically conservative think tank,[n 1][4] and believe the designer to be the Christian deity.[n 2]

We tasted this in NY as well- communal notes ripped from HAK:

So as much as I wanted to hate the wine based on the anti-intellectual name, it wasn’t bad.

BTW “Anti-Merlot” comment was referring to it being a wine with little nose/front palate and a moderate finish, but a significant mid palate- lots going on in there. Which is unlike Merlot that smells awesome and explodes on the tip of your tongue and then tastes like dirty water until you swallow :wink:

Relax. So we pose a question with our label. Shouldn’t good wine with good friends breed good discussion? Around here, we like to chew on our intellect with dinner…

Glad you’re not a hater! Love your anti-merlot bit.

Really??? Successful business guy loves wine and starts a winery, but it’s a pass? You’re approaching wine production in the wrong way. Great producers put together great teams to produce great wines. My business background has given me the skills find the best people, the best fruit and the best processes. Your statement that being successful in another business outside of wine is some sort of a handicap is hilarious.
Wine is a journey; wine is about trying new things. Why continually rely on Journeyman pros, there are plenty of great producers in the minor leagues who will eventually get a shot at the big time, you just need to give them a chance.

If I disagree STRONGLY with what you believe, it’s not clear to me why I should even think about supporting you financially.

Especially when it comes to wine, when there are a world of other wines and wineries out there that don’t explicitly flaunt their political/religious/faux-scientific beliefs right there on the label.

This was our first release - having fun with the blend. The bike on the label was a photo I shot in Cuba. I loved the bike because it was a lot like the blends that we make. Something made up with different components. This bike had a lot of different components, a lot!! When we were working on the blend, we threw a bit of Pinot in to see what would happen and it made a difference. So the blend is a bit of a mad scientist blend. Our most recent releases have been a bit more focused but we had a lot of fun with this blend and I know youll love it!

Saying that you’re “posing a question” is, IMHO, disingenuous at best.

My Notes on the Red Notes hold for opening and the first hour-

Intelligent Design Cuvee 2007
Wesley Ashley Wines

Color: Somewhere between Crimson and Garnet. Pink on the edge. Medium deep concentration with good clarity.

Nose: Fresh… first impression was that it somehow smelled cool even though it was served just below room temp. Raspberries, a hint of bay leaf, some acidity/light molecules that tickled my nose. Just a hint of oak. This wasn’t a hugely aromatic wine, but those are the notes I got.

Palate: Red berries and minerality. Blooms up fairly big and fruity without being heavy. Fresh acidity, good concentration, decent complexity.

Finish: This finished like a brandy without the burn. The minerality fills in where the burn would be and you still get a touch of oak at the end, perhaps a bit smoky.

The minerality definetly shows the Carignane dominating the blend. and the finish was interesting. In terms of the Pinot Noir (4%) that Klez noted, I have no clue what it does in this blend.

This tastes rather like a Priorat (Spain). Solid wine, reasonably complex. I’d urge those who don’t know Carignane to try it.

Fair price at $23, not unbelievable QPR though.