Westinghouse 46” LCD HDTV

A 46", although only about 9% more diagonal inches, is actually 20% more total screen real estate – a pretty substantial amount.

And froogle has it about $1400 or so

So the description story thing is based on Episode 3 of Season 9 of Seinfeld. Kessler is Kramer (Jerry makes the mistake of thinking Kramer’s name is Kessler at the end of the episode). Delano Rabinowitz is a reference to FDR, who wished Kramer to “drop dead” in the episode. Question though: who is Mrs. Nosybody supposed to be?

There isn’t really a standard for measuring contrast ratio from company to company.

in all honesty with a TV this big 720p won’t make that much a difference. plus, there is a majority of media that can’t play on a TV that is higher. but do what your gut tells you.

Flat panel LCD’s do not have “lamps”. They have a luminescent panel. If it dies, it’s dead.

Thankfully, they are not expected to burn out as projection bulbs do.

Most likely, it’s a native measurement. While a 1000:1 IS still pretty low, you have to compare it to other native contrast ratio measurements to be fair. I wonder what it’s rated as far as dynamic’s concerned, though.

Cosco has a Sceptre brand 46" 1080 lcd for $899.99just finished setting mine up so far looks great…

This set does supports 1080i
http://www.westinghousedigital.com/details.aspx?itemnum=71

From the spec sheet:

1	HDMI-HDCP + L/R Audio	480i/p, 720p, 1080i

1	VGA/D-Sub/RGB + Audio mini jack	480i/p, 720p, 1080i

2	YPbPr Component Video+ L/R Audio	480i/p, 720p, 1080i

Egggggsactly.

am I missing something here? sure looks like 1080i to me…

Compatible Modes:

* NTSC: 480i
* HDTV: 480p, 720p, 1080i
* PC: VGA, SVGA, XGA, SXGA
* Clear QAM

Lewl, TVs with 720p ALMOST ALWAYS output 1080i. this tv is garbage. get a plasma 50 inch 720 p for the same price. get a samsung sor something nice. not a bad price tho…

Aye. It accepts up to a 1080i input, but since the panel itself has a native resolution of 1366×768, it will scale any 1080i source down to 720p. Set will not accept 1080p input (blank screen until you change the source resolution to 1080i or below).

The best out there right now would be 1080p. Most televisions 40" and up nowadays are 1080p-capable, though that’ll really only come into play on a 1080p source, like a Blu-Ray player, PS3/Xbox360, etc. 1080i just doesn’t give you anywhere near as nice a picture as a 1080p model will, and that’s why 1080i/720p models in that size range are, for all intents and purposes, obsolete.

I own a 37" 720p and a 47" 1080p Westinghouse. I bought them refurbished at prices comparable to the Woot deal and would buy them again. I’ve seen a 46 inch Westinghouse at eCost for 799 but 5 dollar shipping seems to make it a good deal if you’d like a TV like this.

Like so many TVs, the panel is not native 720p. It has 768 lines of detail.

Even with a 720p signal, it’s not displayed natively when it’s scaled up to 768p.

Both 720p and 1080i signals have to be scaled to display on 768 lines. No matter what type of signal it can accept/scale, the native resolution of the panel is what really matters.

There is no such thing as a native 1080i LCD. Only traditional CRT’s can display 1080i signals natively.

A 1080P LCD can reproduce 1080i because it can draw the alternate interleaved lines in the correct place.

omg

ok, time to be educated since we can’t do it ourselves. Any TV that claims to be HD or HD ready HAS to display in both formats! 1080i and 1080p are very different!
A 720p signal is made up of 720 horizontal lines and each frame is displayed
in its entirety on-screen for 1/30th of a second. Hence the ‘P’ because this is what progressive scan is! Ok so 720p is at 30fps.

A 1080i signal comprises 1080 horizontal lines but all the lines are not displayed
on-screen at the same time. they are interlaced (1080 i!) ie every other
lines is displayed for 1/60th of a second and then the alternate lines are displayed
for 1/60th of a second. So, the frame rate is still 30 frames per second, but each
frame is split into two fields, which your brain then puts together subconsciously.

Most of the time interlacing works fine, but for fast moving images, such as sports
like baseball and hockey it can cause problems which manifest themselves as a
‘stepping’ effect on-screen. Progressive scan signals don’t have this problem and so
are better suited to sports.

there

Thanks for typing all that out. I’m too lazy. :smiley:

Contrast numbers are mostly meaningless. Different mfg use different measurement techniques.

I have only one thing to add. Horse Head Bookends…