What Dreams Are Made Of

Congrats on the win! Not my style but it’s a gorgeous design.

Gratz Alvin on the shirt, I really like it, however I would like to see it on a chick, with big, well you know, and soon there after see her out of it. if you know what I mean, wink wink…

Gatzby, quit editing my shnizzle, fizzle!

Wow, a Derby winner that wasn’t sold out by the time I got to work in the morning.

I’m on the fence because it’s a beautiful design, but I don’t know if i like it on a shirt and I have so many shirts already. >.<

Definitely congrats to the winner! ^^

YES! Another lovely design! Its so hard to find cute and cool tshirts but Woot! has had a great couple days of them so far…

derby champ not sold out yet?

arr?

There seems to be a misunderstanding.

Most of the people who don’t like this shirt are probably like me. They don’t hate the actual “art” or think that the person who created this design is talentless. Quite the opposite in fact. This design is both captivating and says a great deal about the artist. (All good in my book.) It’s just in the wrong place.

I think this art belongs more on a felt painting under black light. A tee shirt - not so much. A tee shirt is meant to be either something to protect real shirts from you, or a whimsical little message that people might read and have about a millisecond of a laugh. For instance - An orange who is dressed up like a Pirate saying “Say no to Scurvy”. If somebody doesn’t at least smile the first time they see that, it’s most likely because they are an idiot and don’t get it. But then there is the safety net that they migh be so much of an idiot that they’ll be amused that it’s an orange dressed up as a pirate. The danger zone in the middle is quite small.

Anyway… nobody is going to look at a shirt and say “Oh my! That ten dollar tee shirt has such captivating taste. It smacks of Picasso, and Dali, and oh, oh, do I sense some Michelangelo in there?” No - nobody will say that or even think it. They’ll look at it and say or think: “Hmmm… A fairy and a unicorn, that’s nice.” If you’re a guy, they’ll feel they’ve just learned something about you.

All that said - can we please stop with the seriousness? If this is supposed to be an art gallery, then let’s move to start artgallery.woot.com, where people can be the first to procure art from up and coming artists. Then we can all sit around and discuss the wonderful influences behind designs in the proper forum.

I don’t think shirt.woot has had a rush of much of anything this week. :wink: Let’s just hope it can go as a lesson learned.

Ah, I think you are right.

You’d be amazed how chilled I am.

I feel that it’s something worth noting. Just as some people won’t buy non-organic food, and some people won’t buy major label music, and some people won’t buy sweatshop produced clothing, consumers deserve to know where their design came from. The designer was quite proud enough to state that the art used here was clip-art and not his own. What difference does my stating it here make?

Ya think? LOL! I’m 53 and been married 24 years, but my wife would divorce me tomorrow for wearing that.

• Bama

Visit My Photo Galleries!

And what difference does it make that I think it fits perfectly within the realm of “art”? I just wanted to express my opinion as well.

I don’t think anyone could have put that any better.

I firmly believe that T-Shirts should be just what you described, simple, catchy, and entertaining.

Don’t get me wrong, I appreciate the art in this and other designs on the site, and I have bought T-Shirts before if the abstract design was appealing to me. That being said, this design and many of the others just don’t translate well onto T-Shirts.

To me, this would look great framed on a wall. I could see this as a nice desktop background, or as part of a larger outdoor mural … just not a T-Shirt.

Think of an artist like Jackson Pollock. If you took his piece, Number 5, and put it on a T-Shirt, it wouldn’t translate well. However, as a painting, it’s a tremendous peice of art.

In the same vein, if I took the Eating Healthy shirt ( which I proudly own ), framed it and threw it on a wall, it may look tacky.

I believe when people vote in the Derby they have to remember that they’re voting on the best T-Shirt design, not the best artwork, otherwise this would have to be artgallery.woot.com … like you said.

As I mentioned before, this is the first Derby since I began visiting the site where I have absolutely no urge to buy any of the shirts in the fog. The only reason I’ll be visiting this site over the weekend is to view the new Derby entrants. I am confident that my bank account is safe … I say this as someone who purchased 2 of the 3 Derby shirts last weekend.

Shirts shouldn’t be limited to one particular form of style. That’s why there are niches. Personally, I like them art shirts because I’m an artist myself. I designed yesterday’s woot and got a lot of the same “enough of this artsy fartsy crap” comments . lol. I can’t blame people, I guess woot is known for the threadless type /clever message type of tees. I guess it really depends on who’s buying. When I was approached by woot to design a shirt, they particularly asked for my calligraphy experiment styles to test out the audience with. I was a bit wary because I checked out past woots and I thought my work seemed too ‘out there’ for this market. All in all, I’m happy I sold 700 plus shirts (which is apparently low to some folks here hehe). Now I don’t know if woot owners are happy with this ‘experiment’. Who knows, I just might design another ‘art’ shirt down the road and see how it goes.

aj

not my style.

would you all stop arguing over this ghhey shirt? Thanks.

Blah Blah Blah…dont buy it if you dont like it! Talk is cheap. I personally am in for one! Love the design. My first shirt woot!!! Congrats to me!!!

Saying that shirts should have one particular style is like saying bands/musicians should play the same kind of music --‘simple, catchy, and entertaining’. I don’t blame you for liking that kind of style, I’m just saying that it shouldn’t be the ONLY style. Don’t get me wrong either, I love ‘simple, catchy, entertaining’ shirts, but i also love abstract shirts.

On the contrary, I think pollock’s no. 5 work would translate well into a shirt. I can imagine that as an all-over print. And most of his paintings would probably work even better on hoodies/jackets with all-over prints.

Just as you’ve indicated by stating the designer already disclosed this information, it’s redundant and serves no purpose in this thread. It’s also deliberately negative and, sadly, sounds rather bitter. Much like someone typing the word “ARTwork.” Now, coming from one of the people who is so against negativity towards designers, that’s more than a bit ironic.

You’ll get your octopus tonight. Meanwhile, this design won the derby. Let Alvin enjoy his time in the spotlight.

Again, Alvin, congrats! My son purchased this shirt this morning. Looking forward to seeing it up close. We think the images have a bit of a “Chronicles of Narnia” feeling to them. Very nice. :slight_smile: Enjoy the win!

As an abstract artist myself, Jackson Pollock’s work on a t or on hoodies would be amazing… I agree with you about the music analogy as well… Pollock FTW!

It’s not redundant because the discussion of this being clipart didn’t take place in this thread. Many wooters don’t follow the derby… they vote and they’re done. It’s completely relevant for me to mention it here, just as it would be completely relevant for me to explain to someone on the streets in NYC why the Kangol or Ray Bans they’re about to buy are knock-offs and not a really good deal on otherwise exorbitant merch.

You may be right, though. I am a little bitter, though not for my sake. It’s simply incredibly frustrating to see entry after entry of creative, cohesive ideas which were created by a designer, and then see a hastily slapped together text shirt or a clip-art collage win instead. But yeah, I suppose he should have his moment in the sun for it. Just like how Milli Vanilli shouldn’t have been stripped of their Grammys for lip-synching over someone else’s recordings. I’m sure if you ever encounter in your career someone who passes off your work for their own and gets a promotion you deserved for it, they will be relieved to know your stance on such matters. After all, you didn’t copyright the work, and he DID present it his own way.