What I want to buy for myself (or anyone else) today.

This thread has now become the What I want to buy for myself (or anyone else) today. thread.
Please see our sister thread What I bought for myself (or anyone else) today.

Looking for something to buy, find a good deal, etc? Post here.

My brother wants a somewhat cheap Hard Drive camcorder for their baby that is due within a month. I have asked Blue, but seeing who he now has a life*, he might have other things to do. So, I am asking those of you who don’t have a life for your input.

*Pfft! Lives are over rated.

Yeah, that will make them want to help you!

Go to Costco, see what they have, and buy one.

Is this your first niece/nephew, Uncle Fennie?

People without lives don’t need camcorders, there’s nothing to film.

Wow, a record! Four minutes and this is completely off track!

I went to the track once, in San Diego. It was fun, but I am not really a horse fan.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?A=search&Q=&a=227_7749&mnp=0.0&mxp=0.0&cmpsrch=&cltp=&clsgr=&shs=&ci=1871&ac=&Submit.x=19&Submit.y=5&Submit=Go

Going off the specs for the JVC, the MG 77 should have the better picture quality… about the only difference i can tell between the 21 and 27 is that the 27 has a widescreen LCD, but none of them are actually HD, unless he wants to drop $1200 for the MG505, which would be the best quality…

checking specs for sony next, i’m generally a sony fan, not that JVC is bad, they’re good too

of the sony stuff that is in stock, the sr 40 has a smaller drive and a smaller image chip than the sr 80… thus the price difference…

if he really wants to spend some money, the hdr-sr1 looks like it’s basically the camcorder i got (sans all the pro features) only going to a hard drive instead of tape… it is a true high def camera, though…

the JVCs have a little better price, but i don’t know necessarily how their image quality stacks up to the sony… personally i’m a sony fan, but that doesn’t mean the JVCs are bad… check the reviews to get an idea of what might work best for your situation… if you do go with B&H, their kits are usually a good way to get a little more for your money… if you need a few of the things included in the kit, buying the kit can save you money over buying the pieces on their own… for pro stuff, B&H’s prices are hard to beat (when I got my camera, the price I paid up front was what a local dealer’s cost), but i don’t know if that translates into the consumer side… you’re a smart shopper; compare prices on whatever model looks right for your situation…

1/6" CCD, 680,000 Pixels Is that going to be the recording resolution?

Because it said 640x 480 or something for a still shot.

Update: Name Change

Current items
FenStar
-Hard Drive Camcorder

Gulls are birds in the family Laridae. They are most closely related to the terns (family Sternidae), auks, and skimmers, and more distantly to the waders. Most gulls belong to the large genus Larus.

They are typically medium to large birds, usually grey or white, often with black markings on the head or wings. They have stout, longish bills, and webbed feet.

Most gulls, particularly Larus species, are ground nesting carnivores, which will take live food or scavenge opportunistically. The live food often includes crabs and small fish. Apart from the kittiwakes, gulls are typically coastal or inland species, rarely venturing far out to sea. The large species take up to four years to attain full adult plumage, but two years is typical for small gulls.

Gulls — the larger species in particular — are resourceful and highly-intelligent birds, demonstrating complex methods of communication and a highly-developed social structure. Certain species (e.g. the Herring Gull) have exhibited tool use behaviour. Many species of gull have learned to co-exist successfully with man and have thrived in human habitats. Others rely on kleptoparasitism to get their food.

Two terms are in common usage among gull enthusiasts for subgroupings of the gulls:

* Large white-headed gulls for the 16 Herring Gull-like species from Great Black-backed Gull to Lesser Black-backed Gull in the taxonomic list below
* White-winged gulls for the two Arctic-breeding species Iceland Gull and Glaucous Gull

Hybridisation between species of gull occurs quite frequently, although to varying degrees depending on the species involved (see Hybridisation in gulls). The taxonomy of the large white-headed gulls is particularly complicated.

In common usage, members of various gull species are often called sea gulls or seagulls. This name is used by laypeople to refer to a common local species or all gulls in general, and has no fixed taxonomic meaning.
Gulls can be quite aggressive, taking food from a human’s hand
Gulls can be quite aggressive, taking food from a human’s hand

The American Ornithologists’ Union combines Sternidae, Stercorariidae, and Rhynchopidae as subfamilies in the family Laridae, but recent research (Paton et al., 2003; Thomas et al., 2004; Paton & Baker, 2006) indicates that this is incorrect.

Girr…

Seagulls don’t like Alka-Seltzer.

They can remember a garbage can they found something good in. Next door neighbors threw away a bunch of fried chicken in an open can. The gulls found it. They came back for over a year and would go to that house and rip up the garbage. Only that can. We are 10 miles from the sound or the ocean. They flew 10 miles to find one can.

Also, stlwooter, since you are the new gull expert…Before paved roads, how did they crack clam shells? They are always flying high and dropping clams on the road until the shell breaks. Big rocks must have had a line of gulls waiting before roads!

Why are we talking about seagulls? I don’t want to read back.

No more talking about gulls!

O.K. Fen.

What I want to buy:

I want a good pair of bluetooth stereo headphones. Something to use with the bluetooth
that came integrated in my laptop. I’m not interested in the behind the neck style, as
I’ve read that those can become uncomfortable after using them for a couple of hours.
I’m trying to keep the price below $100 but will go as high as $125.

Anyone have suggestions or links?

No, the actual TV signal’s resolution will still be 720x480, standard for digital video. That’s the total pixel count on the chip. That image is then scaled down to get the decent looking video image. It’s basically the same as taking a really high-res photo (say 8MP) and then scaling it down… it’ll look really fantastic at lower resolutions. The resolution you see listed as a stat is what the image processor will work with. Having more resolution/better data to start with is a large part of the equation to get a good picture. The lens is also very important, as is the actual chip doing the image processing. The chips are where distinction can be, but one thing that might be an advantage for Sony is that their lenses are made by Carl Zeiss, a company that makes a lot of professional lenses. The JVC could be fairly comparable, though, since this is consumer grade equipment. The most useful thing would be if you could find footage from the cameras shot under similar conditions to compare them. Even going to a Best Buy or Circuit City would be useful to try the cameras out yourself and see what you think of them. You obviously don’t have to buy from them, or buy then and there. Pick the model you would like first, then start comparing prices to decide if it fits your budget.