What was your favorite thing about elementary school?

What was your favorite thing about elementary school?

Recess!

22 Likes

Freaking recess! That should have been num one! I never got a single nap in school, I did in pre-school, but never elementary school on up.

12 Likes

Books!

5 Likes

I know you can smell it.

18 Likes

The school carnivals!

season 4 GIF

5 Likes

We OLDEN ONES discovered printed media.

2 Likes

RECESS!!!

8 Likes

Mimeographs

4 Likes

Math. I’m a nerd.

2 Likes

Never had snacks or naps, but loved recess, dittos, and the bookmobile.

3 Likes

The library. That was my happy place back then. All throughout school, really.

3 Likes

You know that thing when you are in first grade and you are having circle time outside with your class and you get stung by a bee for the first time and you start crying and then the teacher isn’t quite sure what to do because she doesn’t want to leave the class outside to take you to the office but she can’t send you to the nurse by yourself because you are six and might have a reaction to the sting so she sends you with another student named Jenny or Jamie or something that ends in an e sound and on your way to the office you see a giant grasshopper that is blocking your path to the front door of the school so you and -e stop and look at it and then it jumps and literally flies over the school and after a short amount of screaming the janitor runs out the front doors in action mode and asks what happened and you say you got stung by a bee and that a giant grasshopper flew over the school and he just kinda looks at you without saying anything and walks back inside and when you eventually get back to class no one believes you and kids start calling you grasshopper and Julie all of a sudden isn’t sure what she saw and 30 years later you want to ask her if she remembers that day but you know that given her apparent memory deficits she probably won’t remember you? I liked learning about Lewis and Clark.

18 Likes

I just love your stories. Seriously. Please continue.

4 Likes

I have to agree with recess and carnivals! But I had a great 6th grade (still elementary school in my day) teacher that went beyond just lessons. He let us do actual animation with his own equipment, and several other fun things not offered to the rest of the school. He also was a pilot, and gave airplane rides to all the students that didn’t get too many “demerits”. But he was a huge softy and took everyone up that got parental permission.

5 Likes

Recess and passing notes!

2 Likes

Hey Arnold Fortune GIF

Cootie catchers

6 Likes

BONGK! Being picked to be the student who got to advance the filmstrip every time it beeped.

https://youtu.be/xp7IpMXE_kA

2 Likes

I am intrigued by your ideas and wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

2 Likes

It takes surprisingly little startup capital to loanshark at that level, and enforcement is cheap.

2 Likes