What was your first job?

Counting penny candies. You know how sour straws (candy) come in packs? They didn’t when they first came out. My first job was to count them out into 25, 50, 75 and 100’s into bags. The store wanted help during the after school rush.

1 Like

Not to complicate the poll, clarify first job!

Yard work/ various fixing up houses with my dad (paid something)
Babysitting for family (pd according to the family)
A stint at Taco Bell (official)

4 Likes

Papergirl

2 Likes

Custodian at my elementary school

1 Like

Drafting for an engineering firm. I was finishing my senior year of high school. Been there for 41 years.

5 Likes

Stuffing Sears color sales ad slips into envelopes for a penny per envelope. I was seven years old and made over $17.

1 Like

Haying, cutting yards, and shoveling snow.

1 Like

Sanitation porcelain engineering

2 Likes

Remember back before Golden Corral was a buffet? You went through a line, ordered your steak, got your salad bar plate, and the girl took your order and gave you a ticket. I was that girl.

6 Likes

So you are one of those folks. I’m always complaining that the drawing aren’t clear on intent of design. LOL and partially just kidding.

Good for you. 41 years is amazing. Longest I’ve made it at the same place has been 10 years. Although I am closing in on 10 at my current job and, unless things go very wrong, I will make it beyond that mark.

1 Like

It depends.

My first tax-paying job that I had a boss would be working the loading dock/stock rooms at a big Department Store (Robinson’s), I was 16.

My first job I got paid by other people, I did yard work/landscaping. I’d tie tools to a mower, tie my mower to the back of my bicycle and had an area of a few blocks.

3 Likes

Shoveling manure for a neighbor (but that was a short-term paying gig).

Installing chain link fence was my first full-time job

1 Like

My first job for $$ was bucking hay. This was way before those machins made giant rolls of hay. Those way tons! After, We’d pick Strawberries, but usually ate more than we picked. Paid by the flat, so you had to be pretty fast to buy that beater of a car. Hhaha. Then, after that season, we’d move on to harvesting tulips and daffodils. After the flowers we gone, we’d pick the bulbs for worldwide shipping. Did you know that more of the flowers are sold from the Skagit Valley than Holland. Interesting factoid.

3 Likes

Caddie at a golf club

1 Like

Life Guard at summer pool

Usher @ a movie theater (before multiplexes). Should have got combat pay when we had kiddie matinees on Saturday. Parents would just drop the kids off and those children would get all sugared up and go wild!

3 Likes

Caddy. It was fantastic.

2 Likes

Delivering newspapers.

1 Like

Pattern scrubber in a Bronze Memorial foundry.

I had a paper route in phoenix. They fired all the bicycle delivery people and switched to vehicle deliveries. So I was the last paper boy!

2 Likes