What's your preferred web browser?

Some of us were actually there, man.

7 Likes

Yup - why else did I cite Procomm Plus, FIDO, and BBSLink immediately? From using them daily.

4 Likes

Uh huh.

2 Likes

Good night folks.

2 Likes

I don’t think anyone misses yahoo!

2 Likes

Used and loved them all! Used to run my own bbs back in the day. I think I was running either RoboComm or WildCat. Can’t remember which.

5 Likes

Somebody’s getting fired

1 Like

Very true - Yahoo was awful as a search engine. Then as now, poor hits. And yet, it found its niche and prospered while the others were eater or faded away.

I think I liked Inktomi best way back when. This was pre-Yahoo acquisition and wrecking it. It serviced many others in background. Alta Vista was good but almost too broad. Not as specific in searches.

1 Like

2 words…

uh 3 words…

Broadcast

Dot

Com

Please stop attacking me or I’ll be forced to report you.
1 Like

Mosaic

2 Likes

Wow, this one got me thinking about some old times… I used to boot up DOS from a 5.25" floppy on an old Zenith portable and log in to the Cleveland FREENET at Case Western back in the early 90s. My dad used CompuServe quite a bit in the 80s… but I was a little young still, and not really that into the computer thing back then. I do still use Lynx occasionally for specific tasks on headless servers to this day.

I definitely know Mosaic, but never used it. I worked for Caldera Linux for a few years in the mid-late 90s before they bought SCO, and for a while after… we always used Netscape (Navigator that is) since it was about the only decent graphical browser available for Linux. Opera came around to Linux at some point, but I never really got into that one.

These days it’s Chrome or Firefox depending on what computer I’m on and what I’m doing.

2 Likes

Pale Moon (can run old crap, like Flash, if needed)

I grew up on the west side. Started out on PlayNET in the 80’s using a C64 and a 300 baud acoustic coupler modem.

1 Like

Mosaic now get off my lawn.

2 Likes

Telnet? Gopher? Bulletin Boards? My people!!

Awesome Futurama GIF

5 Likes

I use Bing and Duck, Duck Go. Bing pays me to search. I save certain searches for DDG.

Brave and Duck Duck Go

1 Like

Flashback to early internet. I remember our 1st family computer a C64, well my brother’s. Then of course Windows took over. I recall AltaVista, early AOL, Yahoo & Excite. Even knew someone whom worked for Excite.

High five

1 Like

Lynx

3 Likes