$34.99 + $5 shipping
CONDITION: White
PRODUCT: 6 White Oak Winery 2007 Russian River Sauvignon Blanc
CT link above

Winery website

Twitter
Facebook
Yelp

Holy smokes of a great deal! I don’t know if I’m in or not, but what a deal!

Um, half a case of SB from the RR, for $40?? catch? Rats, what’s your take?

The 2009 is $16 at the winery LINK

Isn’t the 2007 vintage a bit “old” for Sauvignon Blanc varietal? I always thought they had a pretty short rack-life span.

The ones that have been subjected to malolactic fermentation have shorter lifespans. This one had no MLF.

Also, check out this article:

Sauvignon blanc improves with age

I’d like to know the residual sugar for this. Since it’s aged sur-lie, and not subject to MLF, I’d wonder if any RS is subject to secondary fermentation. Then again, since it’s 2007, it must be reasonably safe. Just curious, you know…

Awful yellow for a Sauvignon Blanc, isn’t it? I think that’s just the bottles, though.

Looks like someone’s trying to liquidate some old inventory. Unless it’s a Sancerre, Sauvignon Blanc from 2007 should have been drank years ago.

I’m a sucker for Russian River SB’s, interested to see the discussion on this one. Especially at this price point.

Indeed - a great read, about FOUR styles of SB: grassy, fruity, spicy, and oak-influenced. The current offering sounds as if it’s the fruity style.

Great link. The key is in this sentence: “If it’s a well made wine it will develop complexity, lose those hard edges and become a very approachable wine with broader appeal…”

So, is this a well-made wine?

Also, on malolactic, isn’t it the opposite? Certainly with Chardonnays, the buttercreamy, oaked-to-the-hilt, lactomanic “Reserve” bottlings of most wineries will hold out much longer than the nice, clean versions most people taste and go “whoa, I thought you said this was Chardonnay?” (i.e., TLC).

Not if the wine is well made. There is the concern, that if there is RS and no MLF is carried out, it can go ahead and occur anyway in the bottle, with potentially disastrous results. Obviously, the longer the wine ages, the more the potential for that, which may be what you’re thinking about.

It is thought, at least by some wine experts, that MLF reduces acidity that predisposes the wine to age well.

I haven’t found a source on the web about SB, but this aging guide says this about finer Chardonnay:

“Be aware that Chardonnays that have fully gone through malolactic fermentation have greatly reduced life spans.”

BTW, I’m pretty sure I’ve linked to this same guide before - as the author says, don’t take it as gospel.

Lower price, yes. A Deal in wine depends on taste.

Anyone savor this wine before?

OK Woot,
woot.com crashed so bad, Clicking the Write us to tattle tale that its not working doesn’t work.

Sellout.woot.com doesn’t even give me an error message, just displays a blank page.

Shirt and Wine woot work though. Kids woot says service not available.

That did actually happen to me with a bottle of South Carolina Chardonnay (not a typo), but I don’t think that’s the issue. Rather, it’s probably mostly the oak influence that makes a difference, which goes back to the micro-oxidation conversation of a couple threads ago. From the tasting notes, it sounds like this one didn’t see any oak, but we’d need the winery to know that for sure.

all of White Oak’s s/b’s are built to last, the 2007 is no exception. It is still tasting great!

so… whats the maximum age recommendation on this wine? ASAP, or can it sit a few years?

shouldn’t there be some rats for this one?

It will still drink well for the next 12-14 months.

Perhaps - now that I think about it, white Burgundies don’t do malolactic and the good ones last for ages. I suppose the difference may just be an issue of timing - since MLF and oak-aging take time, those wines get bottled later (say, six months to a year) after their clean cousins, and so only seem to age better because they come to the market later.