WHO WOULD YOU INVITE TO YOUR DINNER PARTY?

Yes, I know it is cliché…but…after reading Parade’s 50 Smartest People list, I would have to disagree with many of their choices. The list.

If you had a dinner party and could invite twelve people, living or dead, who would you invite? If some of the people are currently dead, we’d assume they’d be back to life for the dinner…

Secondly, what would be served for dinner?

This will require some thought . . . so I’ll just read what everyone else posts . . .

My parents, grandparents and aunts and uncles when they were in their late 20s, early 30s. Just to see if I would have liked them or not.

You’d have to serve Meat Loaf.

Just so we could “Do the Time Warp Again”

I’d invite

1. Jesus- just in case.
  2. William Harvey
  3. William Shakespear
  4. Lord Byron
  5. Richard Feynman
  6. Maya Angelou
  7. My mother- I really want to talk with her- she has Alzheimer’s now.
  8. My dad- I’m sure he would like the same chance.
    3-5. forget the first 6. my 3 brothers
    6-9. my 4 sisters
    10-12. my 3 kids- they never knew my mom for real.

damn, I had no idea how much I wished this could be true.

John Lennon, Jon Stewart, Stephen Colbert, Al Gore, Albert Einstein, Thomas Edison, John F. Kennedy, Abraham Lincoln, Jesus Christ, Eleanor Roosevelt, Alan Alda, Leonardo DaVinci

We would have dinner at that restaurant in Chicago(?Moto) that has all the techie/science food like popcorn frozen with nitrogen, edible menus, lobster cheetos, crunchy olive oil, etc. And margaritas.
The topics of discussion would be global warming and the energy crisis, the war in Iraq, who should be president in 2008, and in general, what can we do to make earth a better place to live.

Galileo, Steven Hawkings, Benjamin Disraeli, Sun Tzu, my f-i-l’s grandmother (you’d have to hear the stories), Harry Truman, Groucho Marx, Bill Cosby (from the 70’s), Jim Thorpe, Lenny Bruce, Carol Burnett, and a post whore to be named later.

For dinner, we’d order pizza and Chinese . . .

Oh, I would have invited Steven Hawkings, but not after his recent statement that we will all be living on Mars in the future.

You find that offensive?

No, not offensive. It just looks like a horribly depression planet to live on. I won’t go!!! :slight_smile: Ok, I’ll swap out Eleanor Roosevelt for Steven Hawkings so that he can explain that comment.

He’s inferring that we’d terraform the planet . . .

(mtrlgrl looks up definition of “terraform” so as not to embarass herself)

OK, as long as Woot is there…and some shopping malls. But I don’t wanna wear a spacesuit cause it makes me look too fat.

In no particular order:

1. Elizabeth I
  2. Confucius
  3. Mata Hari
  4. Boy George
  5. Leonardo da Vinci
  6. Pablo Picasso
  7. Jane Goodall
  8. Frida Kahlo
  9. John Pemberton
  10. Robert Smith
  11. Galileo
  12. Salinger

BOL

“In no particular order” means

1. Robert Smith . . .

Oh, and 11 other . . . whoevers . . .

It’d be awesome. Huge mountains, very deep crevasses, all those four-armed dudes.

My second party would include:

1. Socrates
  2. Michelangelo
  3. David Bowie
  4. Darwin
  5. John Cusack
  6. Nostradamus
  7. E. E. Cummings
  8. Marie Antoinette
  9. Robert Smith
  10. Henri Matisse
  11. Octavio Paz
  12. Sylvia Plath

I sense a trend . . .

This is tough, but I’d like to come up with an answer. I’ll think while I run.

Small factoid: My grandparents are Jane Wilde’s (Hawking’s first wife) godparents.

I disagree with Parade’s list.
Any list like this is entirely subjective anyway…

My party wouldn’t be the smartest people, but we’d have fun.

1. Sam Kinison
  2. Ernest Hemingway
  3. Teddy Roosevelt
  4. Bert Rutan
  5. Katherine Hepburn
  6. Hunter S. Thompson
  7. Thomas Edison
  8. Isaac Asimov
  9. Mark Twain
  10. Emily Dickinson
  11. Kurt Vonnegut
  12. Babe Ruth

We’d eat White Castles, chicken wings and have a fart lighting contest, then watch Edison and Rutan do body shots off Kate’s belly.
Drink beer, mojitos, and have a brandy with cigars watching the sunset from Mallory Square.
Then call up the Filipino hookers.

Two women, interesting…

Young Kate or shaky Kate?