Wild Alaskan Smoked Salmon Bonus Pk (2)

Wild Alaskan Smoked Salmon Bonus Pk (2)

Is there a sell-by date? If so, what is it?

I looked at their website and a similar, smoked wild salmon product says:

“Our smoked wild Alaskan salmon have a shelf life of approximately four years and require no refrigeration until they are opened. Once opened, they will last 4-7 days in the fridge.”
Doesn’t matter - If I buy some, it’ll be gone in 2 weeks anyway.

1 Like

These are “shelf-stable” in sealed pouches, so as mikeyancey says, “approximately 4 years.” There are two ways people can buy “smoked salmon” – refrigerated, and this way. There is different processing but both can start with the same type of salmon.
They don’t need to be refrigerated until they are open.

I live in the NorthWest and these are commonly-sold in many stores, especially stores that cater to tourist who want to take it home with them. I was going to say also at Airport stores but not sure anymore because TSA would not trust what is within the foil pouch and might have to confiscate and enjoy for a snack after their shift. I think there are stores beyond the security checkpoints that sell it, anyway. Probably better to order with shipping and not worry about taking it on a plane.

Costco usually gets in a batch around this time of year for Holidays, one large filet usually a bit over 1 lb, for about $18-20. Those are in one large bag so once you open it, you do need to use it all quickly (i.e. it’s for bringing to parties). I have driven one of these 2800 miles to North Carolina and it was enjoyed for holidays there.

[Edit: forgot to mention that one nice thing about this is 2 boxes, which would be ideal for gifts or bringing to parties, and each box has 2 smaller pouches (4z + 3z) so even then one could be opened and the other opened at a later date. So the Costco example cost/lb is lower, but this is much more suitable for multiple events and gifting]

If you are a doomsday prepper, you may want to stock up on these.

In contrast, the refrigerated ones do need to be kept very cold and used usually within a few weeks max (depending on amount of preservation in smoking/curing process). I find the texture of the refrigerated ones to be a bit nicer because it feels more firm. The ones preserved in foil pouches are softer and usually have some liquid in the pouch which separates during the process. It is all still good.

1 Like