Willapa Hills Farmstead Artisan Cheese - 3 pack

Our aged cheeses - like these three - use traditional animal rennet. We use vegetarian rennet for our fresh cheeses. We did start with vegetarian rennet, but felt that the vegetarian rennet contributed to some off flavors when we were developing our recipes and made test batches.

FYI - Our blue mold is certified gluten free.

We do use animal rennet. We tried vegetarian but were unhappy with the results for our aged cheeses in terms of curd texture and taste over time.

I must confess I do not think I have enjoyed Coulet - although I am going to track some down! Based on your description, it seems there are some similarities to Two-Faced Blue. As you know, room temperature is key to enjoying a nice blue and as it ripens a little Two-DFaced Blue is extremely creamy and spreads easily.

Janet Fletcher (The Cheese Course, San Francisco Chronicle) notes of Two-Faced that “…the butter-colored paste is open in texture, smooth and moist, but with little of the weeping, or loss of moisture, that many blues evidence at room temperature. The cheese smells pleasantly of damp cellar, mushrooms and toast, but what I love most is its buttery texture and suave mellowness. It packs no heat.”

We also make a cheese called Ewe Moon that is 100% sheep milk (currently out of season). We describe it as loosely inspired by classic Roquefort - meaning we chose a format, cultures and mold strains that are similar. Being all sheep milk, it is almost butter-like in its consistency.

I sure hope these three could deliver for you on the occasion of your father’s birthday. If you opt in and he doesn’t enjoy them let me know and I will send him a complimentary piece of Ewe Moon when it comes into season in August.

Now, where to track sown some Coulet…

Me too! :slight_smile:

When you fill my order, please leave out the cheese made from the dairy rams.

Are your cheeses available in Oregon? I would love to try another Northwest blue cheese not from Rogue Creamery, unfortunately $35 is out of my budget.

Noted! Just remember it takes two (sheep) to Tango…

In the next month some of our cheeses will be in Whole Foods (NW). We are also at the Hollywood (Portland) & Cannon Beach Summer Farmers Markets.

:frowning: only raw for me…

/outlaw milk buyer.

Good Night Wine Wooters -

Thanks for the questions and feedback. Until the morning… I leave you with one of my favorite cheese/wine quotes:

“Wine and cheese are ageless companions, like aspirin and aches, or June and moon, or good people and noble ventures.”
- M. F. K. Fisher

This has my vote for funniest post ever! (But, it is really late. So I’ll return in the morning to reconsider both the joke and whether my palate would enjoy this offering.)

I’m so very torn here. $35 is right outside of my budget, but I am a sucker for a terrific blue cheese. I am going to have to sleep on this one.

If a wedge is opened and not fully consumed, how do you recommend further storage? How long can an opened wedge be safely refrigerated? How long for an unopened wedge?

Wikiblue

…and just for fun…

The Uncyclopedia of Blue Cheese

and, oh yeah, I’m in for one…

Hey WD - when mewalk and I told you we wanted more cheese at Scott’s, I didn’t mean blue :wink:

Still, good to see cheese on here again. Woke up, saw cheese, got all excited, was about to hit the button and saw 2 blues. Sad for me.

Now, if there’s someone who loooooooves blue around here and wants the two blue wedges and I’ll take the other one (or is that a blue, too, I couldn’t tell from the description), I’d be happy to split. :slight_smile:

Yumm!!! Cheese!!

Mmm, cheese.

I’d like to push that stu****pid yellow button, and compare this to Rogue River selections (would the cheese master have anything to say about a comparison to Rogue River?)

But…

March is a crazy stu****pid month for me as far as travel is concerned, and I would be afraid that it would show up at the UPS Store while I was gone, and it would sit there for a week until I could pick it up. That isn’t optimal.

Is there any clue as to when this will ship?

I am a raw milk partaker too, I have drank it for years.
These cheeses sound pretty good. I will be in for at least one. I am a huge blue cheese fan, well, heck, a fan of all cheeses if the truth be known.

Hi Stephen and Amy,
Welcome to Woot! Do you have any wine pairing recommendations for these cheeses?

I don’t eat a ton of blue cheese on its own, usually as a topping in salads or on burgers.

Greetings Stephen & Amy!

Best wishes for your lambing season. Remarkable to be a part of that process. I spent a long weekend at Heifer International Women’s Lambing Retreat and learned about the animal husbandry side of the practice of farming. Also learned to milk sheep and goats – goats were definitely easier to milk (at least for me) and we got to make a fresh curd cheese. Wow! How great!

Anywho – your cheeses look wonderful and we’ll look forward to enjoying your blues. We’re limited in our local cheese options, so another internet connection is always welcome.

In for one!