Wine Grape Bonsai

Given that these are listed as 8-10 years old, and given that in the past WD has offered decent bonsai from a respectable grower, I imagine that this hasn’t simply been thrown into clay and shipped out.

As for the species, it’s pinot, which means it’s vitis vinifera.

Last wooter to woot: andyduncan

In for one, purely for the unabashed absurdity of a grape bonsai.

What is this units turgor pressure?

I’ve been wanting to try growing some Sangiovese. Does anyone know where to get plain old grape plants, and are they a lot cheaper than a bonsai grape plant? This is cool and all, but I’m interested in serious farming.

Or is there a better forum for these questions? Any good pointers appreciated. :slight_smile:

These are almost certainly made by transplanting trimmings from an established vine (hence the “from a 41-year-old plant”). As such, they would have grown their own new roots. In any case, rootstocks are generally only used to grow varietals in an area that they normally wouldn’t survive in (i.e. too warm/cold, etc).

I own many bonsai’s, but never any fruit bearing ones. I wonder how effective these things are at bearing fruit…

In for three, why not.

I love it when w.w sells bonsais. I’m not sure I could get this for the house, but I really do like this one.

If you were to get 3 and gift 3 and they produced enough clusters to crush and ferment to make a glass +/- of wine, would the result be “Petit Pinot”? :wink:

Are any of you reading the description? It says they are 8-10 years old.

So tempted but after seeing the following, getting fruit may prove to be quite difficult
…Pinot Noir may be the toughest grape to grow, but the effort is well worth the investment. It is a fickle grape that demands optimum growing conditions, demanding warm days consistently supported by cool evenings

Since my last non-wine order took 2 weeks to recieve, I don’t know if it will survive that long in the cold.

i read everyone posts. still a little concerned about making this purchase. My brother is pretty into wine and i think it would make a good christmas gift for him. Should i be concerned about it lasting the 24ish days till xmas? and or its plane trip from IL to washington DC?

it seems like a nice gift but i don’t want to kill the thing.

It is, but the charity accepts donations for a few weeks beyond.

Won’t the vine be dormant this time of year? Why don’t you have it delivered to DC?

I really want one of these to give as a gift. I was checking out and its asking for an email address of the recipient… Does this mean they are going to be immediately emailed that I bought them this? I feel even with delivery Im going to be way early… How does this gift option work??
Also any idea how soon they should expect this bonsai?

Would this plant survive indoors? I get a lot of wind and rain outside this time of year. I live in Washington State in West Seattle (Alki). Will being next to the ocean decrease the likelihood of this plants survival? Wine Bonsai will go well with my bamboo plants and silk wall scrolls if this survives indoors.

Would I be able to purchase this even though I’m under 21?

Yea, keep Nevada in the “lots of wooters wooting” category! Another nice prezzy from Woot.

Just got my 2006 Kent Rasmussen Pinot Noir box today, yum. It’s not going to survive the weekend!

Does Woot ship with 21+ Confirmation when it’s a non-alcoholic product? I hope not…

classic. LOL