Wine Selection for Wine "Tasting" [big event]

Hey, hopefully some wine.wooters will stray here. I’m helping to host a “wine tasting” for about 800 - 1000 people. The quotations are there since, as you might expect, this involves little spitting out of the wine after it’s tasted.

Paradoxically, I’m awful at wines. I’m wondering if anyone has some suggestions as to what might be a good/relatively inexpensive mix of wines? As a reference, the last time this event was held our wines average $12-15/bottle (so we can do some more expensive and some cheaper ones) and our total tab was on the order of $15k.

To be honest, I’m not sure if I can use your suggestions due to our timing – but I thought I would try anyway, plus it might be a good game for the wine.wooters to play.

Thanks in advance!

(As a side note, the event is in… Pennsylvania, which means that things need to be cleared through the PLCB. It’s been done though. Not sure if that impacts your suggestions or not, but, well, thems are the beans.)

You should post this in World of Wine. You’ll get more answers there. I’m sure they’ll be happy to assist.