WineSmith “2nd Fiddle” Pinot Noir (2)

WineSmith “2nd Fiddle” Fiddlestix Vineyard Pinot Noir 2-Pack
$59.99 $107.00 44% off List Price
2005 WineSmith “2nd Fiddle” Fiddlestix Vineyard Pinot Noir
CT link above

Winery website

Sitting in a hotel in Santa Rosa, yet still tempted to get this. Had a bottle a while ago and an considering re-upping.

I have a good stash of these, or else I would be adding some. Nice wine and a solid QPR. One of the few fiddlestix Pinot’s you’ll see at this price.

In terms of age, I think this wine is just getting going, with at least ten years left, if not 20.

Winesmith willing to help those that are “shipping challenged”?

As always. PM me and we’ll work something out.

Clark is one of California’s best winemakers. Can’t go wrong with this one.

Yes, it’s an interesting wine in terms of longevity. It’s very silky, with not much tannin, and yet it’s always been a bit closed, and is now finally beginning to bloom and to exhibit, along with its native hybiscus floral aromas, hints of truffle and aged Romano cheese which are very sexy.

I recently invented an analysis called “O2 Appetite” which measures the speed with with a wine consumes dissolved oxygen. A typical young Napa Cabernet will consume 1.0 ppm of oxygen per day
(saturation is about 8.5 ppm). To put that in context, a light white consumes 0.1 ppm or less, and my 2007 PennyFarthing Pinot is consuming 0.17 ppm/day.

Well this delicate PN, nine years old and light enough to read a magazine right through, is STILL consuming 0.95 ppm/day - the same anti-oxidative strength as a young well-made Cabernet!

I’d say that given a decent cellar, 10 to 20 years is a good call.

Sorry to be late on the boards. Inadvertently slept in after the holiday!

Kathy Joseph (who happens to be Hugh Hefner’s lawyer’s daughter) is a very good friend of mine. We were P-Chem study partners at Davis, and then she immediately started Fiddlehead Cellars, whereas it took me ten years to figure out that owning your own small brand is the way to go.

I have always admired the Fiddlestix wines, but after Sideways (which convinced a lot of trend-conscious newbies to give up Merlot and switch to Pinot Noir, thus creating market pressure for Merlot-like Pinot), I felt that most of her customers were trying to get a big, structured wine like Bien Nacido out of a terroir much better suited to wines of grace and delicacy.

So this one year, we teamed up to made a Northern Burgundy. Kathy suggested a blend of one ton each of clone 115 (tannin, cherry fruit) and 667 (perfume, spice). We picked at fairly low maturity, resulting in a wine of 13.8% alcohol. It was aged in neutral wood for three years and bottled.

I did employ a technical trick here. A lot of the flavor of Pinot Noir is composed of ionizable phenolics (also true of its color molecules) with the result that they are insoluble, but also repel each other and won’t form colloids. You need “co-factors” to help with the extraction. In other varieties, you can use the skins of white grapes or untoasted oak chips, but PN is too aromatically delicate for this.

So I invented a way to use ultrafiltration of heavy press wine from sparkling production to “harvest” a filtration fraction which is highly concentrated Pinot Noir cofactor. This stuff has no flavor or tannin to speak of, but it’s amazingly powerful in assisting co-extraction during fermentation. You can only use a little bit – about 1% of the fermentation. I think this technique resulted in the rich “spicy Burgundian flavor depth” this wine possesses, and possibly in its incredible longevity potential.

This wine loves duck breast, barbequed pork, and stinky old cheeses. It’s not for a party. You want a quiet, romantic setting with candles and a big balloon glass. It would be a waste to drink it when you’re alone.

I have managed to hoard 4 bottles of this juice but it is one of the few wines that Clark has made available on woot that I have yet to actually try.

I’m tempted to add another set but with the RPM tour coming up I am trying to be good and hoping to visit Clark if we’re lucky and buy some more of his wines on the tour.

For those in the Ohio area, Kathy Joseph will be bringing her Fiddlehead Cellars wines (Sauv Blancs and Pinots) to Wooster for her annual winemaker’s dinner at The Wooster Inn on Saturday, July 19th.

Details & menu/pairings HERE.

Now back to cleaning up the basement after a water heater failure, ugh. I saved the wine first, of course.

EDIT to add that I hope Clark will someday start making an annual trek to Wooster as well, just like Kathy Joseph and Scott & Jana Harvey, among others. Or semi-annually… or even just once, you know, to try it out! :slight_smile:

Chef Benjamin does an amazing job with the food and pairings. Clark, if you’re interested send me a PM or email or have Mike get in touch, I will give you the owner’s name and contact info. I’ve already told him what a great addition you would make to their impressive lineup of winemaker’s dinners.

Sounds great, Chip. Let’s do it. We’ll be in touch.