WineSmith Double Dare Offer (4)

I apologize, but I’m not tracking your question. What kind of extraction are you referring to here? Please clarify your question, and I’ll take another shot at it.

Wine can be concentrated by a semipermeable membrane such as an RO, and the skin of a barrel is actually an example, as it will concentrate wine about 4% per year in a dry cellar. I suppose you could increase this rate in a vacuum. However, in my experience, wines often do not improve from concentration. They often become oafish, and the flaws are concentrated too, as well as the acidity.

Extraction during fermentation is a rich topic. An understanding of the promotion of copigmentation colloids through monomeric phenol balance in the fermenter is a key postmodern skill.

Well, despite some skepticism about concrete eggs, I am a huge fan of the plastic egg portatank from Flextanks. Here’s what I wrote from the SIMEI equipment show in Milano last year:

"Daffy as its appearance is, the 230-gallon Apollo polymer egg manufactured by Washington-based FlexTank is surprisingly practical. Designed permeable to oxygen at a rate of 1.7 mg/L/Month, FlexTanks imitate barrel micro-oxygenation rate without the evaporative loss or contamination and are a perfect vehicle for chips, beans and other barrel alternatives.

FlexTanks have already gained 1200 winery customers in North America, but the Apollo is newly released in 2011. At $700, they’re unexpectedly affordable. “We’re aiming to replace the macro-bin,” declares the firm’s owner John Smeaton. The egg shape concentrates the cap during fermentation for deeper immersion and easier punchdown, and the mouth is easily sealed against fruit flies and oxygen, permitting sanitary conditions for extended maceration. The cornerless design appears wonderfully easy to clean and sterilize. Half-round supports which rotate on the axis of the tank’s center of gravity facilitate forklift dumping of pomace."

All that said, the problem with any permeable tank is that wine’s appetite for oxygen is not a fixed quantity. Barrels supply about 1 ml O2 per liter of wine per month. A typical Cabernet will gobble up 60 times this amount on the day of dryness, 5 ml three months later, and two years later at bottling, about 1 ml, and maybe 0.1 ml after a few years in the bottle, so we have a thousand-fold decrease over the wine’s life. I would rather use an adjustable micro-oxygenation diffuser to feed the wine its need than to rely on a tank to do so.

The good thing about permeable plastic tanks or old barrels, however, is the off-gassing that cannot occur in stainless. Young wines have sulfides, krauty malolactic byproducts and other funk that they need to breathe out.

I discuss a lot of this in the video at Clark Smith's 2004 WineSmith Faux Chablis - YouTube. Napa Valley College is just south of Napa town near the Big Bridge, on Trancas across from the insane asylum. It isn’t quite in Carneros, nor Coombsville, but in between them. Strangely, this very cool site grows lousy Pinot Noir, but some of the best clone 337 Cabernet Sauvignon i the world, which I bottle as WineSmith Crucible, the subject of a later offering on wine.woot.

Comparisons of California and Burgundy terroirs are fraught with mystery. The closest Pinot Noirs we have to the Cotes d’Or are the Jensen Mt. Harlan wines, a windswept, warm, high altitude desert resembling Burgundy in no way except for the limestone. Go figure.

Napa College’s latitude, soil, and climate don’t bear any resemblance to Chablis, but I still admire those wines and wanted to see if a Napa Valley version were possible. In fermenting on untoasted chips (for a tannin structural skeleton) and aggressive lees stirring, I departed from their model, which shows in the wine, but on the whole I am pleased that we showed we can play in their ballpark. I really make WineSmith wines to show possibilities outside the mainstream for my winemaker clients, and on the whole, I’m very pleased with the Faux Chablis project on that score.

Chablis is a very cool, somewhat rainy region in northern France on the 48th parallel. It compensates for these weather conditions by an extra two hours of sunlight in the summer which gives rich flavor maturity without baking off the flavors. Its soil is limestone, which imparts a lively minerality. Its wines are lean, long-aging, and have ripe Chardonnay aromas resembling lemon blossom or lemon oil, developing a firm richness with age. They provide an edge which cuts through the richness of halfshell oysters and other seafood.

I have already explained the approaches we took to imitate this style. I was compelled to show that a Chardonnay could be made in Napa Valley which actually expresses our own terroir rather than the overly embellished trend of the Big Wine with lots of NFO, ML, and alcohol – to me a very cynical approach to crowd-pleasing a la Carol Doda that has nothing to do with terroir.

Chardonnay exhibits many faces in California. Salinas Valley gives us golden delicious apple; Santa Lucia Highlands gives us rum and orange peel; in the Sana Cruz Mountains we see tamarind and bow rosin; Sonoma Valeey has pear and pippin apple; Arryo Seco is nectarine.So imagine my delight when I asked our southern Napa vineyard to give me a Chablis, and it obliged with a rather convincing knockoff - those same lemon oil / furniture polish aromas I was used to from William Fevre, my Chablis hero. These aromas are characteristic of Napa Valley, but you almost never get to observe them because they are hidden underneath all that alcohol, oak toast and butter.

My incentive to make this wine was really to experiment with Claude Bourgignon’s theory that any soil can impart minerality if it has a healthy mycorrhizal fungi population. These organisms spread through the soil and penetrate the grape rootlets, living in sybiosis, trading trace minerals for sugar. This doesn’t work well in conventional California viticulture because the soil is too dry and the fungi are very sensitive to chemicals. But if we discontinue pesticides and herbicides and encourage a healthy earthworm population, it turns out Napa is a wonderful place to sustain these fungi because our soils don’t freeze in the winter, so we can perpetually build our living soil. Claude was obviously right, and our wines have gotten more minerally every year, and more long-lived.

It’s kind of a sick joke that southern Napa Valley terroir actually resembles Chablis, of all places, but we cover it up with cheap cosmetics and silicone, when we could be making wines like this, full of life energy, depth and soulfulness. Napa really is a special place to grow grapes.

You will find that this wine rings your red wine bells pretty well. It’s not your basic modern unstructured, arrested-in-development pop music sort of style, but operates instead in the realm of sinewy profundity.

Clark shared this with us at Scott Harvey’s during the cocktail hour before the highly memorable dinner in the vineyard on 2010 rpm magical history tour.

It was hard to give it a really fair serious tasting under the circumstances, but I enjoyed it very much. Thought it a tad dear for whatever the price was at the time, but I think at this price it’s a good deal.

I am very fond of Chablis, from simple Chablis for everyday drinking (especially with oysters…) to fully-aged Grand Cru Chablis with richer dishes. Sublime.

My strong sense is that Clark is on to something with his Faux Chablis and it’s worth a look if you’re tired of over-oaked, flabby, high alcohol California Chardonnay.

You can see from Clark’s posts he’s a bit of a technogeek and he does de-alc this wine, but there is room for this as well as for the fully organic winemaker who has his ‘nieces’ stomp the grapes, uses a 200 year old hand wine press, makes the wine in an open fermenter and doesn’t rack or fin it, etc., etc.

Try it!

And, yes I bought!

I enjoyed a bottle of the 2004 Faux Chablis the other night. Here are my notes from CellarTracker:

Served chilled. Upon opening, muted nose and not very expressive. Hot in the mouth. Color is a light gold. Medium forming legs. Set aside in an aluminum bucket, no ice, to breathe.

After an hour of air, this starts to open up. Nose of honeydew and white fruit. Medium dry finish. Good crisp acids, melon, a little citrus and minerality on the palate. Slightly oily in mouthfeel as it warms back to cellar temp. You can tell this was meant to enjoy some bottle age and has gained some complexity and depth as a result. Does not seem to be slowing down. Great with our fruit and cheese plate before dinner.

Really enjoyed this wine. In my personal notes, was expecting around $20/bottle and told myself I would jump on it if it is around this. So at about $17.50 each, shipped, I am in for at least 1 set, possibly 2. Like Cesare, I would be interested in aging some of this further to see where it goes in the future. As I said in my CT notes, this doesn’t seem to be slowing down at all.

I am glad Clark pointed out the flavor/essence Cesare couldn’t put his finger on - the sur lees character. I believe this is what I was referring to when I said you could tell the bottle aged well and had gained some complexity and depth - hard to put your finger on, but really helps to form the overall character of the wine.

If you are considering a purchase, I don’t think you will be dissapointed by this one! May turn some that are not fans of California Chards - this is not your over oaked butter bomb, but something very different and unique for this part of the world. Great job on this Clark! Excited to try the 2003 as well.

Had a bottle of the 2003 last night.

To preface this one, I’ve never had a traditional Chablis, and my experience with chardonnay is limited, let alone a “faux Chablis” or an aged chardonnay. This was a good tasting experience for me and I am going into it with an open mind and a cleansed palate.

Upon first opening, there was some definite funk on the nose, eerily similar to a dirty diaper. Color similar to a very light olive oil, much brighter than your average straw color. First taste carried some of that funk from the nose and added some bitter lemons. This definitely needs to rest for a minute and blow-off after sitting in the bottle for so many years.

After a little while the funk blew off and opened up to an intoxicating burst of fresh lemons and citrus on the nose. Unbelievable ho w much things can change in 15 minutes in the glass. The taste now shows some lemons and citrus fruits, maybe a bit of grapefruit, some good acidity and hints of stone and minerality.

This is very interesting wine to me. It is definitely not in my normal wheelhouse, and if someone asked me what type of wine it was, I don’t believe that Chardonnay would even be in the top 3 of my guesses. This honestly reminded me more of a non-grassy sauvignon blanc or a gewurtztraminer than a chardonnay; not knowing much about Chablis, maybe that is the point? There is definitely a good mineraility to it, which is the one characteristic I find pleasing in some white varietals that I would typically not like. After each taste, bright lemon fading to stone/mineral, and nice, almost bracing acidity, medium to long finish. This style actually reminds me of exactly what richardhod used to look for around here on a regular basis.

If the price is right, I am definitely in on this, which says a lot for anyone that knows my general taste in whites.

Dave, interested in a split on this?

Welcome!!
LOVE to see such great winery participation!! Unfortunately, not my favorite types of wines, so I will not be purchasing today… But, look forward to other offers in the future!!

I’m jazzed that you guys are understanding this wine and getting beyond any preconceived notions I normally see when trying to sell a ten-year-old white wine that’s neither the blowsy bombshell nor the simple fruit smack we get these days under the “Chardonnay” moniker.

Hey, let’s change the world together. Every winemaker would play in this style if she could.

Mr. Clark Smith, I am going to take your double dare and I might even double or triple your double dare (it’s really tempting!). When I saw this offer, I was enchanted because this is EXACTLY what I’ve been looking for! Chardonnays that are 9 and 10 years old from Cali?!?! I totally get it and I am right behind you to support it. It’s only 7:21 am here on the East Coast, but I wouldn’t mind opening a bottle of this if I had one.

I recently purchased 4 bottles of 2002 Michaud Chardonnay and that’s suppose to be at its peak right now. Have you ever tried it? I wonder if there are any other wineries that produce age-worthy Chardonnays in Cali…

I admire your forthrightness - it’s exactly the response I wanted to elicit in making this wine.

If you buy my notion that wines are like movies, then when you are tasting any wine, it’s useful to figure out right away what genre the winemaker has in mind. Hollywood pretty much boils down to three categories: Comedies, Action/adventure, and Dramas/foreign films. In other words, the Yummy Style, the WOW! Style, and the “Hmmm…” Style.

Faux Chablis is definitely in the area of dramas and foreign films, a wine that directs you inward toward learning something new instead of pushing your Yummy button or your Wow button. This is the essence of wines of terroir.

Politically, I think this project points to the embarrassing position that Napa Chardonnay could all be a lot more interesting than it is.

I admire your forthrightness - it’s exactly the response I wanted to elicit in making this wine: a shameless outpouring of the suffering we keep hidden.

If you buy my notion that wines are like movies, then when you are tasting any wine, it’s useful to figure out right away what genre the winemaker has in mind. Hollywood pretty much boils down to three categories: comedies, Action/adventure, and dramas/foreign films. In other words, the Yummy Style, the WOW! Style, and the “Hmmm…” Style.

Faux Chablis is definitely in the area of dramas and foreign films, a wine that directs you inward toward learning something new instead of pushing your Yummy button or your Wow button. This is the essence of wines of terroir.

Politically, I think this project points to the embarrassing position that Napa Chardonnay could all be a lot more interesting than it is.

Thanks for chiming in anyhow. Not to press, but you might discover that being persuaded to dribble down-court and shoot this wine’s basket instead of expecting it to shoot yours can expand your notion of the possible. I love to pour this for people who say they don’t like white wine. It usually turns out they just don’t like bad white wine.

Sure, this looks interesting and I’ve really enjoyed reading Clark’s posts and your tasting notes as well. Count me in!

Sounds like a great offer from a passionate and thought provoking winemaker. I love old world Chardonnay and while I am pretty well stocked on Chard I might have to be in for one of these just because I like your style!

-Ryan

I had the 2003 recently and here are my notes.

Color: Straw with a slight green tinge.

Nose: Very, very little on the nose - really had to coax out a bit of pear.

Taste: Not sure if this is a geography of the tongue thing, but there is a noticable difference in entry vs mid-palate taste.

On entry: First impression - this is a SB not a Chard. Minerally, very slight citris, hint of the pear again, no detectable butter. (I suspect this was never in oak) I am fairly sensitive to high acidic whites, and I would not say that it is super acid, though at the same time, no detectable residual sugar either. Acid enough to be refreshing without being astringent.

Mid-palate: For me, all of the fruit flavor - lime, pear - comes through on the mid-palate. It is the drinking rather than the sipping that brings it out. There is a slight bit of detectable butter on the finish, but again, if I were tasting this blind, I would have guessed SB rather than Chard. (of note: I really enjoy a minerally SB)

Even though this is a 2003, there was no evidence that it was the least bit past its prime.

Hope that is helpful.

Hi Clark,
You probably don’t remember, but a few years ago you sent me and my friends 4 different bottles of Cabernet that each had different levels of alcohol removed. My buddy wrote up our observations in his blog here:

http://wineilike.blogspot.com/2010/04/finding-sweet-spot.html

It was pretty amazing to taste the differences in what was originally the same wine.
Thanks for the great participation, I bought 2 sets and can’t wait to try this!!

Last Wooter to Woot:North316

Done!

The SIWBM is dead! Long live the SIWBM!

I remember this wine from the 2010 tour - it was very interesting then and I’m sure it’s even more interesting now. I drank the two bottles I bought on the tour a while back, and am happy to get more and see how it has developed in the time since. A worthy choice to end a WBM.

Speed to First Woot: 3m 41.222s
First Sucker:Allieroon
Last Wooter to Woot:coynedj
Last Purchase:a few seconds ago

@#%*!

Got all excited to support a winemaker who is trying to do something different, only to be foiled by shipping limitations.

Too bad really, because I haven’t ever had a white that was older than 5 years.