WineSmith Lake County Cabernet Franc (3)

Tempted but my no wine buying for a couple of months is holding strong.

I swore I was not going to have any indulgent spending this month but you got me. I’m a sucker for strong mineral notes.

Last Wooter to Woot:
sailormercury

We always like an excuse to throw a party :-)!!! Get in touch with me at mike.WineSmith@gmail.com and we will plan something out!!!

Happy wooting all!!!

Well Clark, your in-depth description has me buying my first ever, Wine.Woot.

Will get back to you after I’ve cracked the first bottle. =)

-WG

That was an awesome post.

Clark, absolutely love your wines.Getting plenty of this for now and later enjoyment.

Last wooter to woot:rc70

BAM! Dropped some knowledge on all us suckas! Haha thanks!

Well, I blissfully enjoyed a bottle of this with my husband - back in February. I fell in love with good Cab Franc when I lived in the Finger Lakes area of NY… they can produce a good bottle in a warm year.

Anyway, the tasting notes that were on my fridge waiting (and waiting, and waiting…) for the wine to be offered seem to have disappeared recently, but I do remember a few things.

First off, I remember being ecstatic not to find any of those nasty green bell pepper notes that distinguish a poor/mediocre Cab Franc. I was waiting for them!

The wine had nice structure and balance good fruit, apparent minerals, and I distinctly remember getting a nice mint whiff after about an hour or so.

Right now I need red wine like I need to turn the heater on; here on the TX Gulf Coast it’s already steamy and I don’t have much room on the wine racks… but hitting that button anyway!

When I ordered the shipping was still $5. Has the summer shipping not started? I’m in Florida and obviously already starting to get hot.
Anyway, love Cab Franc and the input from the winery. In for 3. The only other wine I had of Winesmith was the 2006 Lodi cab and it was great!

Hi Clark,

I’ve been on SIWBM, but this sounds like a great wine based on what I’m reading here. My concern is that I have a ton of wine and I’ll only consider wine that can age with the 500+ in the basement. How long do you thing this will be age worthy from vintage date? The only other option is to push this ahead of the pack and drink sooner. Thanks for the offering.

I’d like to say “Thank you!” to Mike from WineSmith for setting me up so I can buy this!

Great information - very interesting.

You can see I noted a touch of bell pepper - maybe I was just projecting an expectation in search of a flavor I couldn’t put my finger on. I’m not a huge CF drinker - and my wife has never been a fan.

When we were drinking this - we just kept on saying - wow - this is a really, really good, well integrated wine that was completely different to what we had traditionally thought of as a CF.

Now I know why!

I might have to break my SIWBM, and work out shipping to either South Dakota (where I live) or Minnesota (where I frequently visit). Mighty tempting - mediocre Cab Franc is easily avoided, but a well-made one is wonderful!

This post is simply brilliant – informative and scientific – and exemplifies everything I love about wine.woot, winemaker interaction, and Clark Motherfucking Smith.

I was going to buy anyway, but I just wanted to chime in.

There was this lovely chilean sauv blanc I had a few years back that had a bit of the sharp citrus, but was so pyrazine-y that it actually tasted like jalapeño on the finish – not just bell pepper. Though that may have been my brain putting in a bit of the capsaicinoids from the pyrazines being EXACTLY like jalapeño instead of mere green bell peppers.

That was a tasty wine. Oddly, I tend not to like Chilean reds for exactly that same reason – too much pyrazine in them.

In a proper cellar, a very long time. CF is not a big wine, but it really goes the distance. My '94 is just now blooming bright and generous, with no trace of oxidation. This one has at least as much potential.

Here’s a weird trick to opening the aesthetic door to Cab Franc appreciation. I learned in the early ‘90s from a brilliant winemaker named Don Blackburn (who started Bernardus) that you can enhance a wine’s appeal by pairing it with the right music. In brief, wines are processed cognitively just like liquid music and carry emotional modalities. Just as there is happy music, sexy music and sorrowful music, wines are like that too. You can smooth the tannins of a big Cab Sauy playing dark, angry music like the Doors’ People Are Strange or Beethoven’s Fifth. These will also ruin your Pinot Noirs.

There’s lots more on this at http://www.postmodernwinemaking.com/wine-and-music. Everything in the environment affects the way a wine tastes. It’s pretty incredible.

Anyhow, here’s my favorite wine and music match. Sit back and enjoy this wine in the dark with something on fire (candles will work) and Bruce Springsteen’s Jungleland filling the room. You gotta trust me on this - it’s a stunning experience.

Let me know and we can ship together and I’ll pick it up for you.

For those of you who enjoy this kind of discussion, you might want to take a look at my book Postmodern Winemaking http://www.postmodernwinemaking.com/books. It’s Wine and Spirits 2013 Book of the Year and chock full of these kinds of goodies.

PM for you. I hope I can get things arranged!