Winix 5000B Plasmawave Air Purifier

how does this compare to the Sharper Image Ionic Breeze? Is it as effective/as quiet?

South Dakota lit up on the map too. Must be hard to get the biker smell out after Sturgis…

The Ionic Breeze was a joke played on the consumer. I still bought a couple reburps at a major discount to try them, and yup - they were a joke.

This unit appears to be similar to the Sharp Plasmacluster models, but stripped down and a lot less money. I have one of those, and it is fantastic. But the Sharp senses both odors and dust, and has variable speed when in automatic mode that is determined by the sensors. On the Sharp, the carbon filter is washable and lasts for years (as per the manual).

If this thing is like the Sharp on a smaller scale, it’s a fantastic deal.

30 bucks and moves more air

Appears that $50 filter is both HEPA and Carbon combined. http://www.qualitymatters.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=QM5000BHF&click=21247 - cuts operating cost somewhat.

We have the Ionic Breeze Quadra (which was between $400-$500), which is supposed to be germicidal as well, and it’s pretty tiresome to say the least. First off…we’re about to replace it for the 2nd time, which means it will be our third; thank God we bought a 5 year replacement warranty. Secondly, the thing has to be cleaned about every week in the summer, and about every 2-3 weeks in the winter, and cleaning is no picnic. Cleaning consists of pulling the collection grid out, taking it to the sink, spraying it down the a cleaner, using the provided brush to slap back and forth between the collection plates, which is messy, as it flings cleaner and dirt everywhere, rinsing, and allowing to dry for several hours, and it still does not come completely clean. The first problem we’ve had with ours is that it started arcing between two of the collection plates, which would cause the unit to kick off unless it was on a very low speed. This problem, we were told by store employees, is because we burn candles in the house; who doesn’t?! The second problem we’ve had…every other collection plate is wrapped in plastic, and it’s bubbling up, which causes it to sound like static when you turn it on high, and also causes the unit to shut down. All in all, the Ionic Breeze does work, as you can even smell the clean air when it’s on (probably just the ozone it creates though), but I have bad allergies, and I can tell when we’ve been too lazy to clean it, but that’s the bad part…after a while the cleaning of it is too much, and we’re tired of lugging the heavy thing back into the mall to Sharper Image. I bought two of the 3M Filtrete FAP02’s they had here a while back, and they WAY out clean our Ionic Breeze. I’m considering one, maybe two of these as well.

The description on the site is incorrect. The Carbon filter ($40) and the “Hepa-type” ($50) are sold separately.

The owners manual posted earlier spells it all out. The higher end Winix models come with washable carbon filters, this one does not. Unless you could find a generic or washable filter that would fix, the yearly cost on this will be $210.

I have a RabbitAir air purifier which is almost identical to this one. The carbon filter is washable and should last about a year with continuous use. The HEPA filter should last 1.5 -2 years with the same assumption. The silver prefilter never needs to be replaced. It may sound expensive to you, but these are cheap! You can always not replace the carbon filter if you choose and then compare it to other air purifiers that don’t even have one.

The main reason to get this air purifier is actually because of the “auto” setting. The air purifier speeds up when it detects pollutants and slows down once it has cleaned the air. Air purifiers are noisy and consume insane amounts of power so this is a big benefit. The operating cost of this air purifier is well below that of its competitors when used in this way. The sensors work surprisingly well.

Consumer reports rated this model by the way and it came in middle of the pack but its performance per dollar of operating cost pushes it to the top of the list IMO. The low purchase price from Woot is a great bonus - you won’t find a decent air purifier for less than $100.

I think that the PlasmaWave isn’t useful and I would just turn it off. At best it wastes power and who knows what the health effects are (it should produce 0 ozone but I wouldn’t risk it). That was one of the problems with the Ionic Breeze by the way. Not only was it crazy expensive, but it also didn’t clean the air at all (see Consumer Reports reviews) and produced large amounts of Ozone.

For the WIN! Who knew I could modify my food dehydrator to be an air purifier?!

Your post is almost totally false. Your Rabbitair may be similar to the Winix 5000, the model here is the 5000b, which sells for about $100 less, and has different features.

1. The carbon filter is not washable
  2. It has no silver prefilter
  3. The auto mode on this model ONLY DETECTS ODORS, not dust, like in the more expensive model 5000 and your Rabbitair.
  4. You cannot turn off the Plasmawave on this model (you can on the 5000).
  5. Consumer reports rated the model 5000, not the model 5000b.

The instruction manual in an earilier post, and the Winix website list the differences.

There is a lot of controversy on ion producing filters (some argue the charged ions while technically cleaning the air, stick to internal membranes in the lungs etc).
Enough people know this now that ION filter makers are adding on/off switches or building different filters without it.

This is not an ion filter it generates Hydroxils instead. I don’t know much about Hydroxils (HO OH) except in outdoor air, where they scrub air by attaching to pollutants. However what happens to the resulting products indoors? (where you breathe both the original and the modified compounds).

Well if you know the answer to this you can probably get a Nobel prize.
The problem with researching this is that there is a lot of manufacturer-generated edited info out there. (ie “biased”).

I was looking to buy 3 of these suckers but I found in a couple of medical /health research facilities inconclusive reports. This one was worth quoting though:
“Production of hydroxyl radicals in indoor environments appears to be controlled primarily by reactions of alkenes with ozone, and nitric oxide with hydroperoxy radical. Estimated indoor hydroxyl radical levels may potentially affect indoor air quality. Two examples are presented in which reactions of d-limonene and α-pinene with indoor hydroxyl radicals produce aldehydes, which may be of greater concern than the original compounds.”

While this product produces Hydroxils artifically, the effects of it combining with existing chemicals in your house could make nasty compounds.

So for now I’m passing.
If you have info that can shade a light here let me know.

Ironically it may turn to be that Dr Failure may have had it right all along! It’ll just make take longer than he wanted :slight_smile:

I have the ionic breeze qaudra as well (actually 2), and I agree, they don’t work, and are a pain to clean every week (I’m a smoker. I know, I know). The IBQ gets dirty fast and the dirt is more tar than anything else. I built 2 of the 20" box fan filters (one for the bed room, one for my office, see link above, and it has helped my allergies 1000 times more than the IBQ and I only have to change a $10 filter about every 2 months (the fans run 24/7) Cost me about $120 a year in filters (not including the initial $40 fans), but compared to the $700 I paid for the IBQ’s, the box fan filter is cheaper in the short term, but a little more expensive in the long term, but It actually cleans the air of most airborne particles. For me this in not an issue as I’m not allergic to viruses or odors. They also have 20x20x1 filters with carbon embedded, but they are over $20 each and the only benefit I see is odor control.

You don’t have to agree, but just be aware that your logic is not only flawed, it’s completely incorrect. Air purifiers are sold, with HEPA Grade Permanent Filters. You don’t have to choose. As a matter of fact, MANY air purifiers utilize PERMANENT HEPA Filters. So, while you may still want to disagree, based on incorrect information, you shouldn’t confuse others with that same flawed knowledge.

convinced…in for one

I got this model or maybe the small one from shop at home tv back in the day. I have had it for two years now. They were also putting the filters on clearance so I purchased 3 extra sets. I paid $79 for the unit and $29 for the filters. I works really good. Glad I got the extra filters can they can be expensive but I still have a set left as they last about a year. Some of the filters you can wash and put back just not the Hepa one.

You are right in that I didn’t know about these new, “permanent” HEPA filters. I’m quite skeptical, though, that they really are permanent. The filter I have is both HEPA and vacuum-able, and the manufacturer (perhaps in a rare moment of honesty) rates it at 1-5 years before requiring replacement. Let’s wait a year or three, and when people start complaining that their “permanent” filters have stopped working well, you can apologize. If they keep working, I’ll apologize. I think that people buying this unit should assume a life of 1-2 years, and if you have pets it will be worth the price even at that.

sounds like something made by microsoft.

Will it work with a MAC?

http://www.winixinc.com/ac_5000B.html

The Sharper Image Ionic Breeze models omit ozone that may cause health problems. That is one of the reasons Sharper Image filed for bankruptcy. So if this unit is similar to the Ionic Breeze and omit ozone than it is not a good choice.

The ionic breeze seriously aggravated my son’s otherwise mild asthma, and I have the hospital bills to prove it.