Winix C545 4 Stage Wifi Air Purifier

The carbon filters in Winix are pathetic thin fabric. Not serious carbon chunks like in my Oregon Scientific. I bought the Winix to help with wildfire smoke and it is useless. Glad I found replacement filters for my OS purifiers.

2 Likes

We own one and even as an “Alexa” home didn’t mess with the wifi due to the complaints about it and didn’t need that functionality anyway. It seems to work fine. At least it did quiet down my spouse about not having one - a good thing!

While the delicate control boards might be an issue, we’ve learned the hard way to plug all electronic items into surge protectors, even including our Microwave oven. All matter of brands of microwave ovens used to fail on us every 9-12 months… until we started using a surge protector - magically, no more failures.

As to the large number of these Costco Refurbs - while certainly, some of them might be actual failed and repaired, Costco’s easy return policy generates a lot of perfectly operational “brand new” “buyer’s remorse” returns.

2 Likes

I haven’t given up on you yet.

1 Like

The supplied filters are not wrapped so they are immediately exposed. They are also crappy and thin like cloth. Pretty much useless for odor or smoke.

2 Likes

Ironically Buzzfeed News is really good, with reputable journalists and articles. It’s just everything else Buzzfeed that’s total crap. Apply to be one of their listicle creators, those are about the worst they have to offer.

2 Likes

I have 2 of these that I purchased from Costco last year due to the Bay Area fires. I can attest that they do a wonderful job of reducing the AQI down to the teens. I have a handheld AQI meter to verify. Surprisingly, one unit will cover the whole floor so i have one on each floor. My house is about 2700 square feet. Its a fairly new house and well insulated but if there is a forest fire somewhere, be assured that somehow those particulates can get inside even with no open windows or doors. If AQI is 200 outside , inside can be 120 from my readings. Check out purpleair.com for your areas AQI readings.

2 Likes

:rofl:

1 Like

Fair warning. I bought one of these off Woot last year. Seems to work fine other than that the wifi never worked at all. Wifi SSID doesn’t even show up when you try to connect it. I tried contacting support back around October of last year and never got a reply. Submitted an RMA request in November and have not received a response to that either.

2 Likes

@Wooter880885455 the Huffington Post, which I thought was reputable, was just purchased and made a part of Buzzfeed News

:joy:

1 Like

@bluemaple you don’t think the Huff. Post was reputable? Then who do you consider reputable?

CNN. BBC.

1 Like