Winix C545 4 Stage Wifi Air Purifier

Winix C545 4 Stage Wifi Air Purifier

1 Like

Wifi enabled air purifier… oh good Lord. They aren’t going to be happy until your whole life is on the interwebs.

9 Likes

According to specs, good for about 19’x19’ room. Replacement 3rd party filters available on Amazon starting around $35.00

13 Likes

I’ve bought one each on two previous woots.

Good: Definitely effective, my sinuses feel much better, manual controls work fine. Fortunately, you do not need the app to run this - I don’t see the point in remotely controlling an air filter with 3 buttons anyhow.

Bad: I’m creeped out by the app. After installing the app, it immediately forced a download of another 20mb of code, outside of the app store. Then I saw it requires an account signup, not because it is needed to remotely operate a simple air filter machine, but so they can scrape your email and your wifi password. I deleted the creepy app immediately.

Sad: The ozone generator comes on automatically, I have to remember to shut that off each time I power it on.

Funny: There is a bright bar on top to show air quality, glows blue for good, orange for troubled, red for bad. It stayed blue all day, so I figured that it was more gimmick than feature. Then, after dinner, I passed gas, a tiny squeek. The indicator turned yellow, then red, and eventually went blue again. We tested it a few more times - 19 seconds from release to reaction. I guess the air quality sensor works, good to know. Red Alert, Cap’n!

41 Likes

Good to know it works… I think I would quit passing gas by it… Your may clog it up that the red light alert will never shut off!!! :joy:

5 Likes

Maybe WIFI on air purifiers is going to create big data and used against us for methane release? :thinking:

4 Likes

These sux at removing odor. Only air cleaners that remove odors are the ones that have a extra charcoal pellet filter

2 Likes

Product usually works well, but WINIX has non-existent support.

I have bought 3 of their larger models and 2 don’t work and no help from company.

3 Likes

Bought one of these from Costco about a month ago and there is a very noticeable improvement to the air quality. But at costco this was $99 brand new and came with multiple refills. If you have a costco membership that’s probably a better deal.

9 Likes

So… this will clean up my wifi and air?

3 Likes

With cleaner WiFi Air, can I surf faster?

5 Likes

I have one of these, and three of the older 535 in different rooms in my home. They are great. Although labeled “refurbished”, they appear new. There is a carbon filter that has to be replaced every three months or so. The HEPA lasts a year. With these cleaning the air, my furnace air filter stays clean. These Woot ones are worth the savings over buying new at Costco. I never connected the wifi (why?). (As someone else said here, it is probably just data mining.) The 545 is in my bedroom and I have it in auto. In the dark, the blue light goes out so its not distracting.

6 Likes

Yeah… A device to go with my “Gas Free Zone” sign in the kitchen.

2 Likes

Thank you for reporting on your field testing. LOL

4 Likes

We have a larger, older model, Winix air filter we bought 3 years ago. After turning on for the first time I passed gas and, yes, the air quality indicator turned red and has been on ongoing laugh between my wife and I ever since. Lots of fun and still running strong!

5 Likes

These have TERRIBLE wifi chips. 2 of 3 that I bough here on woot connected fine at initial setup, then randomly about a week later, they lost connection and cannot connect again. Put it into the initial setup mode by neither my iOS or android could find the wifi signal it was supposed to putting out. Got those 2 replaced. 1 is working and 1 developed the same issue. I’m not bothering with with replacement.

3 Likes

I suppose if this was an H13 HEPA it would say so huh? :thinking:

Not crazy about the idea of having to turn off the ozone generator every time it powers up though. Thanks to the poster who mentioned the blue light turning off in the dark; that would be a total deal killer with the wife.

5 Likes

They need the wifi to orient the 5g chips inside us from the vaccine.

2 Likes

I also bought 3 of these at Costco, last October at $99.99 brand New with 2 HEPA filters and 8 carbon filters each. (was getting tired of breathing in wild fire smoke) Since this item only comes Refurbished with 1 HEPA and 4 Carbon filters on Woot, I still think the Costco deal is very comparable (1 HEPA/4Carbon filters are running about $25-$40 anyway) and it’s NEW not refurbished.

UPDATE 04/11/2021: Just saw that the current COSTCO online sales price is $129.99+shipping+sales tax. Not sure if they still offer the 2 HEPA/8 Carbon filters. NOT providing that info online is a BIG marketing blunder since replacement filters are so EXPENSIVE. But like other posters have mentioned, these Winix items often go on sale for $99.99.

Typically, Wifi features on most IoT devices are not a good thing anyway. With many versions of our TCP/IP stack technology being buggy, and with malicious actors ALWAYS looking for a way “in”, using a Wifi device that will likely NEVER be patched even if there developed a serious hackable vulnerability is DEFINATELY NOT a good idea.

Saying that, if you were sophisticated/network knowledgeable enough to SEGMENT your Wifi access, that might work to mitigate the security issue. (I segment my echo, ring devices, phones on a separate wifi network so they can talk to each other; My smart TV’s are on their own wifi segment without access to my intranet/home network or any other devices, just the internet)

I myself don’t use the Wifi capability on the Winix and have NEVER enabled it. That “feature” was to sell to the vast majority of the customer base who almost always DEMAND such hi-tech features to be relevant/sellable (i.e., if your competitors do it, you gotta do it too)

5 Likes
  1. Regarding the Costco comparisons, these Woot examples likely are Costco buyers remorse returns. But yah, when Costco regularly drops the price from their standard $130 to $100, that is clearly a better deal since it includes a second year of filters, it is brand new… and can readily be turned into one of these Woot “Factory Reconditioned” units due to Costco’s easy return policy.
  1. Concerns about the wifi reliability and what the app does or doesn’t do? Really? We own one of these, have a home filled with smart devices… but were never tempted to use wifi or the app. The air cleaner does what its name claims - cleans air. BTW, we aren’t tempted to search for a wifi-enabled toaster either.
3 Likes