Winter's Hill Oregon Pinot Noir (4)

Just tried to order and says “Can’t ship to MI.”

Is this correct? I’ve ordered this here without a problem last time

WD - Please bring this back in a future woot.off! I was traveling last week and missed this offer. Thanks

This arrived today, and I opened one this evening.

The tasting notes and comments above are dead on.

Very pleasant right now. Definitely a drink now wine. As compared with other PNs that I have had from the Dundee Hills area, this is more fruit forward and with less of the “subdued subtlety” from that area that some people like and others don’t. At the same time it has it has good acidic bite, making this quite food friendly; upthread others commented on “tartness”, which to my palate is the combination of red fruits and acidity.

We had with chicken and vegetables simmered in Trader Joe’s Thai yellow curry sauce on rice, and this more than held it’s own. The fruit presence was strong enough to not be overwhelmed by the curry (unusual for the Dunee PNs of my experience) and played off well against the curry flavor, while the acidity kept everything in balance. Also, as noted above, almost all of the flavor profile is forward in the mouth and palate, consistent with the fruit forward character, acidity, and low tannins. And, as expected, it did hit DWs sweet spot.

So overall it might be good think as more of a hybrid between a classic northern Willamette Valley PN and a Sonoma County PN.

Good value at the winewoot offering price. I bought two, but will look for it to come up again.

Some added comments:

In the Pacific Northwest. Erath winery was acquired by Chateau Ste. Michelle, so Erath PN is widely available through the CSM distribution channels. It’s easily available in grocery stores, liquor stores, Trader Joes, Costco, etc., at the woot level pricing. It is one of DW’s favorites, and it profiles quite similarly (leading to my previous commment about this as being right in DWs sweet spot).

If you are familiar with Erath PN, this is very similar. I would contrast this with Erath PN by saying the Winters Hill PN has more attack and more bite, whereas Erath is more rounded and mouth-filling. I would never attempt to put Erath PN against the curry chicken. (Which leads me to confess that I actually opened the bottle of Winters Hill before I began working on dinner tonight; else I would have abandoned the curry chicken option).

For my tastes, this would easily command a premium over the Erath pricing, but then I appreciate tartness and bite more than I do roundedness.