Wisdom Panel Doggie DNA Test

[Preview 1]
http://d3gqasl9vmjfd8.cloudfront.net/29474036-7c90-4b4a-a50d-d15c6a77fc66.jpg

Wisdom Panel Doggie DNA Test
Price: $49.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard
Shipping Estimates: Ships in 1-2 business days (Monday, Mar 31 to Tuesday, Apr 01) + transit
Condition: New

[http://www.wootstalker.com/images/buy.png

Buy It](http://sellout.woot.com/offers/wisdom-panel-doggie-dna-test-8) [http://www.wootstalker.com/images/amazon.png

Search Amazon](http://www.amazon.com/s/?field-keywords=Wisdom Panel Doggie DNA Test) [http://www.wootstalker.com/images/google.png

Search Google](https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&tbm=shop&q=Wisdom Panel Doggie DNA Test)

Previous Similar Sales (May not be exact model)
2/18/2014 - $49.99 (Woot-off) - 1 comment(s)
1/15/2014 - $49.99 (Woot-off) - 0 comment(s)
10/16/2013 - $49.99 - 75 comment(s)

2/25/2014 - $49.99 (Woot Plus)
12/19/2013 - $49.99 (Woot Plus)
12/10/2013 - $49.99 (Woot Plus)

Am I evil for being tempted to send this kit off with a sample of my husband’s DNA just to see what comes back?

Time to check out the product page
[youtube=3-30poF7N7U][/youtube]

Does anyone have any information on how accurate these tests are? I’d like to get one of these for my dog, but I’ve heard similar tests are unreliable at best.

Is it easy to upload the results to Ancestry.com ? I mean, pets are family, right?

I tried this the last time they were offered on my two rescue mutts. It at least said that my great dane mix was part great dane. My other dog had less realistic breeds listed (all of the highest probability breeds were twice as large as he is) and pretty much came to the conclusion he was a Heinz57 mutt.

Accurate? Probably not. Entertaining? Yes. Worth $50? YMMV.

I used one of these from a big box store when I got my 45lb rescue mutt. Came back as boxer/dalmatian which matches appearance and personality traits. However it also included newfoundland which is 3 times his size and other than webbed paws and black hair, doesn’t really match up. So who knows.

I had this done on my mutt. The humane society said she was a pit/lab but she resembles some of the Rhodesian Ridgebacks. Only one way to be sure. Within 2 weeks I knew she was a Shepherd, Lab, American Bulldog and Boxer. Now that we know we completely understand where her predispositions lie. It told us a lot and was well worth it.

I read up on these a year ago when I tested my two dogs. It’s hard to find current articles because they got the most press when they were new. Since then Mars has bought other labs’ databases and expanded their own. Accuracy is about 85 to 90%. You get better results if your dog has at least a grandparent, if not parent, who was purebred. Dogs with a big variety in their backgrounds are going to get inconclusive results. They’ll give you a list if definite DNA detected and then a list of maybes based on probability.

Honestly, it’s fun and worth the $50 if you can afford it.

I bought this DNA tester for my dog, it was a total joke. My pit bull came back as 60% different terriers (right so far),then test said the other 40% was ST.Barnard! My dog is a pit bull of about 60lbs. She maybe had a little bit of Kentucky hound in the snout, that is why I checked this out. When questioned they said “when confused the computer goes to the ancient breeds”. Not worth a penny.

I used to work at an animal clinic that used these tests, and I’ve seen quite a few dogs and their results. I would definitely say its 85% or more accurate. Worth $50? I have a mixed dog that is definitely border collie and …question marks. He’s a little under the average size for the breed so maybe corgi, then again he was neutered at exactly 2 months so he didn’t really have a chance to get his testosterone flowing for a strong size so the mix could be something similar to collie size. That being said, I am not curious enough to drop the $50 on him. The best justification I can give you to test your mixed dog is knowing what diseases/anatomical dysfunctions your dog would be predisposed to.

A lot of people get confused when they see a profile for a breed that doesn’t match apparent characteristics of their dog so I’m going to be long-winded and try to help with that. What generally happens in this case is that there are not enough markers to identify a specific breed, but there are enough to identify a breed CATEGORY (ie: mastiff, terrier, etc) so the test result defaults to one of the early or staple SPECIFIC breeds. For example if your 40 lb dog gives results with Great Dane it does NOT necessarily mean there is actually any Great Dane in your dog’s bloodline. What it usually means is that at least one marker can be proven for a mastiff breed in general and your dog has a parent or grandparent that is mixed with mastiff. Might be Great Dane, but more likely something else.

Purebred and easy mixes (with up to FOUR apparent profiles) give really ideal, perfect results. More than that gets muddy because its essentially just stabbing around blindly because there just isn’t enough matching happening to qualify your dog strongly with any specific breeds.

What all of this is to really say is if you can look at your dog and readily identify a breed or three, you’ll get a nice 85% (or better) accurate result, determined by the amount of mixing in the parent/grandparent dogs. If you look at your dog and don’t know where to begin the test doesn’t either, unfortunately. So that could be a guide to determine if you want to buy it or not. If you suspect your dog is certain breeds because it has a look or certain personality, this is a nice confirmation. If you’re clueless, you probably won’t get particularly good information.

Sorry to ramble for so long! Hopefully this helps someone and doesn’t just make me look like some know-it-all trying to tell people how to spend their money :slight_smile:

This worked for me. I adopted a rescue dog which I thought was a beagle mix. The rescue group said he was a basset mix. No clue what the rest was. All I could say is he had traits that were very “un hound like”. Test came back parent was basset and strong bull terrier on the other side. Spot on! He has a slightly rounded bull terrier nose (think Spud Mckenzie) and triangle eyes, typical of bull terrier. I recommend this test to everyone. This is a good deal. I paid $69 for mine a few years ago.

We just adopted a “border collie” (ha ha) and ever since we met him a couple weeks ago, we’ve been dying to know what he really is - he’ll be getting the pro Wisdom Panel at the vet next week.

Our older dog has had both the cheek swab and blood tests done, and as you can imagine, they gave different, only somewhat overlapping, results.

Just saying the cheek test may tell you something interesting or even useful. But if you really need to know, get the blood test.

My wife is a Sr Vet Sales Rep and has been in the industry for over a decade. She and her vets indicate that these are NOT very accurrate at all. The results are so incredibly skewed that you’re much better off determining the breed simply by the pets physical characteristics.

Have the DNA testing done on a blood sample instead. It’s much more accurate. Any veterinarian can do it for you, but it will cost more. It’s not just for fun, though. It’s well worth it to know what breeds your “mutt” consists of for medical reasons. Veterinarians find it very useful in predicting and/or treating medical conditions for which a breed is predisposed, if your dog is a significant percentage of that breed which is not expressed in physical characteristics.

->People see what they want to see on the outside.
->Don’t blame the company for telling you what the filling is in the middle when you ask.

Paid $58.99 at Amazon (shipped w/Prime)

Just because you agree with the results you received doesn’t validate the accuracy of the test!

I bought this kit last time around just for fun. My father has a rescue dog that we knew was mostly cocker spaniel. His personality was quite different tho’. His face and fur are all spaniel but he walks like a bulldog and barks like a Mastiff. He wants to tear apart every man/dog that walks across their lawn but goes belly-up if my 82 yr old mother looks at him sternly. I’m not sure if it’s accurate but it sure sounded true to me when the results came back as Cocker Spaniel/ Rottweiler/ Rottweiler/ Rottweiler.—

Meet our Cocka-Rott, Joe.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v283/blitzkrieg_baby/Jojo1.jpg

I got this for my hound mix and the results were pretty hilarious. It’s clear he’s a lot of beagle, but I was curious if my guess that the rest was pointer was correct. Well, according to this test, my 44lb brown and white hound is Siberian husky, Belgian sheepdog, mini Schnauzer, and beagle. The background breeds they id’d were first, Afghan,then Briard, Aussie Shepard and mini dachshund. It was pretty funny. I’ve since settled on him being beagle, English coonhound as he’s a Kentucky hound. It was an amusing exercise, but I’m glad I didn’t pay full price for this test.