Wisdom Panel Doggie DNA Test

lol

I bought this for my girlfriend for Christmas to get our mutt tested. Now she’s running aroun telling everyone our dog is a Pomeranian because the test said she was half. The dog shares zero qualities of a Pomeranian (she’s a black terrier mix). Kind of fun, and the other half o the test seemed pretty close. I would not buy again though…

omg…they are the cutest things I have ever seen!!! Great pic!!!

Funny video!

She said she’d post a results video, but I can not find it? Wonder if the results were so bizarre, that she decided not to do one?

Hmm. Last month at a annual checkup for our 10 year old rescue mutt, I was offered a blood version of the DNA match. It was $150 and I thought it would be fun to finally find out about our Sweet Pea. So, they took the sample. Of course 5 minutes later they found a $1000 tumor that had to be removed…but I digress. Based on the results of the blood test, we think we have a great idea of her background. I am very curious if a $50 swab sample will give us the same results or another mutant breed…

I’m really interested. Does anyone know if one package can be used on more than one dog? I have two dogs…so do I need to buy two separate tests?

2 dogs would require 2 tests.

Thanks for the help!

Two dogs, you need two tests.

Yeah, she didn’t get the stubby legs of a Corgi, but you can see it in her face when you push her neck scruff forward. We were told she was a Corgi mix when we rescued her, and other people have seen it in her. The vet also thinks she is part cattle dog, but it will be fun to use the test to find out for sure.

I foster for a rescue organization and use these tests all the time. (I scour for good deals online) Potential adopters always want to know “What is she?”

Occasionally the results are quite surprising (borderline unbelievable), but most of the time they seem on the money.

Here it is…

[youtube=fLwYGVgwH9M][/youtube]

[MOD: Embedded video. Also, I think that’s v1 of the kit.]

Thanks for this review. I’ve got a nice poi dog/mutt/Heinz 57 on my hands and people are always dying to know “what he is” (besides “a dog”). I was concerned that these type of tests would come back telling me he is part Husky and part German Shepherd (he weighs in at around 20 pounds). I realize this could still happen, but it’s not as likely as I was imagining… and yes, ADORABLE puppies.

I’ve been meaning to order one of these for my mutt. When he was a baby, they thought he was a Jack Russell Terrier mix, but then he kept getting bigger. Now he’s about the size of my basset hounds (but taller). I think he’s 1/4 corgi, 1/4 beagle, 1/4 basset, and the rest a mix.

Bunk at any price. There is no legal defensibility for this test, no publication of the methodology, and no independent verification. YouTube is full of videos debunking the results, to comical effect.

The underlying data was essentially repurposed from genetic health screens without the direct knowledge or permission of those using the screening tools.

Oh, and this is brought to you by Mars Company… ethics have no meaning to this company.

Sometimes that’s the fun of these tests - to see how accurate they really are.

What a great photo, Cultjam! It’s tempting to try it on a purebred just to see what it said. Too expensive for pure curiosity for me.

And if you want to check your own DNA go to Geno 2.0 - Genographic Project. You may even find you are part Neanderthal or Denisovan.

Question for the wiser wooters here:
Does it say anywhere how many breeds they have in their database? I had seen some other tests that had less than 100 breeds. I would think that the more breeds covered, the more accurate the testing can be. Thanks in advance.

If this was for humans, I would buy a few for my brother. His “girlfriend” likes to get pregnant, even when they are not together, but he is convinced he is the father.