Wise Company Gourmet Freeze Dried Meat and Rice

@Woot, No word on how long they are rated for. Any idea on the length of time they can be stored for?

Per the features: Shelf-life of up to 15 years.

I got this, and have been trying the meals. The beefs have been OK, but the one chicken I had, the southwestern chicken, is like bland tuna.

As these things go, not too bad, except for the following:
This is “60 servings”, with a total caloric content of 4080 calories.
That is 68 calories per serving (I’m not counting the rice).
So each pouch, at 4 servings, averages 272 calories.

Google gives calorie counts between 55 and 92 for one ounce of cooked beef, so 4 servings is between 3 and 5.5 ounces (if it were just beef, it isn’t)

A whole meat pouch, with more water than the meat actually absorbs, doesn’t fill an 12 ounce mug.

Yes, they claim a cup of boiling water per serving, but that means they want to put 44 to 48 grams (a full pouch) into 946 grams of water. That isn’t even stew, it is broth.

By comparison, bouillon cubes are about 4 grams and use a cup of water. This is about 12 times as much and uses 4 times as much water. So, take 3 bouillon cubes and put that in a cup of water.
The freeze dried is chunkier, obviously, but that should give you a feel.

Pro tip - Buy some beef and chicken bouillon cubes. Put one in the boiling water for each serving, for both a flavor boost and an almost 10% increase in solids!