WMF 58-Piece 18/10 Flatware Set-2 Styles

Gee, if I was getting married I’d invite you if you give $100+ gifts!!
You must be a very generous friend : )

My in-laws are from Germany and I have 2 sets of WMF that they brought back and they are quality, showing little wear and tear after years of use. The knives are one piece, so they will not fall apart like some other brands I’ve had. My father-in-law was a jewelry maker and in tool and die and often showed us how the midpoint of the knife would balance on his finger!

Same here, except I got the Windsor last time. Thanks for making me feel like a chump, Woot. The next time I’m on the fence about buying something I’m just going to wait and see if it comes back at a lower price later on.

But despite being on the fence about purchasing the Windsor set last November, I must say that it is awesome. I think there was some discussion last time about whether the Windsor had a brushed finish or not (since the photos make them look “softer” in color compared to the Richmond), but they are not brushed/matte whatsoever. They are shiny-shiny-shiny. And they look damn good. They have a nice hefty feel to them and a swoopy modern look that makes me feel a little less like a bum with every meal. Very nice.

I can also throw my hat in with the folks who got one last time.

Sure, it was $30 more, but I ain’t even mad. It’s a nice set (I got the Richmond set) - really nice. Sturdy, pretty, and functional. Even in the dishwasher, under decent use, and with kids, they’ve been a great purchase.

The packaging is a little wonky, as it’s laid out like it should be a high-end set, but with a velveteen-sprayed plastic coating that didn’t keep everything apart - when I received it and heard a bit of clanking where they had shifted around, I was sad. Then I opened the box, everything was shiny and pretty, no marring, and became happy again.

If you’re on the fence, I’d say go for it. This is a definite bargain on some quality utensils.

When you click to buy them, it shows their retail price as about $500 for one, and slightly lower for the other style. Odd that this information isn’t on the main page as usual…

Same here, bought Richmond for $30 more 2 weeks ago. Feels like I got ripped off. This will definitely affect my future decisions on buying something from Woot again… In fact I don’t think I’m not going to buy anything from them at all from now on.

Seemingly right around the time the wonderful government changed our dishwasher detergent, I started getting rust spots on everything metallic I put in the dishwasher, so I’m not so sure it’s entirely the flatware’s fault? This caused me to stop using my dishwasher almost entirely, but hand washing isn’t a big deal when you live alone either…

I also got these a couple weeks ago. The couple of things I can say are 1) The packaing is crap. I ended up having to send mine back and get another set because everything was strewn around in the box when it arrived. (Happy ending though, so I don’t fault anyone for the shipping/packaging - ish happens)

1. The knives are SHARP! I would almost be willing to say these are close to my steak knives. Definately sharp enough to be cutting a tender steak, or some chicken. This is not your average butter knife (which I believe is what led to everything being scratched in the box)

Definately a nice set - way better than your standard “target” fair that I’m used to (Onieda, Faberware, etc)

Oh - and I want my $30 back Woot! :wink:

Even the Vietnamese people complain about the quality of products from China. Vietnam or Thailand quality is usually better than China.

Agreed, the packaging is lacking. Mine weren’t damaged, luckily, but I could see how that might happen if handled roughly before they got to you.

That’s a good point - the butter knives pack some sharp little teeth. Much sharper than I’m used to, but I like that.

Seriously a much better set than you’ll find at most outlet stores. I happened to be in the market for a new set when I bought mine, so it worked out perfectly.

If Woot offered something for us that ordered before, I wouldn’t turn it down, but the value is high enough that I don’t feel cheated in any way - you are buying from Woot, of course, and prices reflect how badly they need to move. Just like complaining that product X that you bought at a brick-and-mortar shop went on sale or clearance - you might get some sort of refund later on, but more often than not, no.

Now if only I could return all those un-winning lottery tickets…

I’m from Germany and got WMF flatware from my parents 20 years ago. Lugged it all the way to the US and it’s still beautiful after daily trips through the dishwasher and my family trying to use the knifes as screwdrivers or attempting to abscond with my knifes to take them on vacation.

Could it be that these are refurbs? You don’t usually show savings on refurbed items.

According to the order details, it is listing @ 78% off.

$119.99
$499.99 78% off

I really like that when i quote you the word filter changes your name.

No, not refurbs. WMF products have been offered at a discount for years in the US via GILT, Rulala and many other higher-end discount retail sites that sell home products. GILT and Rulala had a huge WMF sale recently with similar pricing. So don’t be turned off by the price discount. I have several WMF kitchen products (utensils, etc.) and they are all high quality. Think All-Clad or Breville if you want to compare to other top kitchen brands. My 10-yr old utensils are still nicer than most utensils on the market. Just my $0.02

Not uncommon for WMF products be heavily discounted in US. Last GILT sale had WMF products from 40-76% off for 20 to 88 piece sets. WMF are quality products.

I bought them for $30 more a few weeks ago too. And while I would love to get the $30 back, I am honestly not angry. For a set of this quality and size, they were a bargain then and now they are just a bigger bargain.

Our only hesitation in buying a set is the lack of serving utensils. I’ve googled around, but can’t find anywhere that has this style with more serving utensils (slotted spoon, salad fork, ladle, etc) to match. Is there anywhere that we would be able to buy additional serving-ware (in the windsor pattern)?

Absolutely not. Got one and using it no-stop for the past month: no problem. And I foresee there will be no problem with this: too high quality.

Actually, I am! :slight_smile: