Wolfking Warrior Game Pad Keyboard

I had (have) a Thrustmaster Tacticalboard, which is an older USB gaming keyboard in a spirit similar to the Wolfking. However, at some point the key remapper utility stopped recognizing the device under XP, and no amount of driver swapping has been able to restore it (it still works, but the keys can’t be remapped).

The Wolfking has looked interesting, and this is a good price to give it a try.

To answer a few previous posts:

There IS a tilde key, it’s adjacent to the “M” key, near the lower left side.

Unwanted keys are NOT removable… this is a KEYBOARD! Sure, you could pop the caps off, but then you’d just have the stumps underneath, like any other broken keyboard.

I have the full version (Timber Wolf) and have loved it from day 1. I didn’t find the learning curve on the gaming pad steep at all, I was rocking within a day. Not having a numpad do sucketh at times, but it’s not really a keyboard for word processing or accounting, know-what-I’m-saying? I keep a standard keyboard around for when I have to do any heavy-duty businessy-like stuff at home. But for gaming and chatting-up while gaming, I’m all in.

I’ve had no problems with key-response times, just as responsive as any other midrange keyboard I’ve used.

One complaint, however; there is NO “Esc” key on the gaming pad. I always have to jump back to the regular board for that, and it seems most games do not allow remapping the “Esc” key.

I would give this gaming keypad a solid 1 and 4/5 of a 2-thumbs up! What does that look like? H3ll, I have no idea.

Being a 2 year owner of one of these I can tell you a few things about them:

1. They are amazing for laptops. Using a laptops keyboard sucks. This is more compact than having a whole keyboard and is great.

2. It takes a while to get used to. But once you do, its great.

3. The tab key is super small. When I played CSS using it it was so hard to check scores. I got used to it but I love the big tab keys.

4. Did I mention how they are amazing for laptops? I would roll into a lan with my 17in lappy, circle keyboard, and mx518 mouse. It was the portable pwnage.

Gah, I was too slow. Out of Black now. However, white looks about as nice, and one may even call it “professional looking.”

Either way, in for one. I’m skeptical I’ll like it since I’m not a big gamer. But I’m willing to try new things. At $21 it’s worth the risk. If I don’t like it, I’ll ship it off to eBay land. =D

They had this one woot about two years ago, I bought it then for 30 bucks and it was flat black with a silver ring, I like it, the keys are not clicky like I would want, but i got used to it, they aren’t laptop like tho, uhm…you have to remap the “Y” key…there isn’t one, despite almost all games using it…everything else is very close and very handy

also have volume control which is nice, but not often used

works seamlessly with vista and xp, should be fine on mac…but who really games on a mac?

thank you for that awesome tip. i would have not thought of that myself. but i always read the stupid little blog attached to the product, and this time I did and thought, you know what? I am so dating a guy just like that. It then occurred to me why I’m so depressed.

lm fao

My guess is that this will be one of the least successful Woots ever. This keyboard seems like such an unnecessary niche item. In other words, not the type of thang you’d buy in these economic times…

Yeah, that damned red button… should it be in the upper left, the upper right, the lower left, the lower right? I’m left-handed and it sucked to put it so I could control with my left and fire with my right because then superman kept crashing into the ground.

-BigD

I have a Idezeon Fang that’s similar and love it as well as the Warrior XXtreme (hybrid full keyboard like this one). I use it occasionally and Wolfking seems to make decent products. I just prefer my Fang but it’s starting to show it’s wear. I personally like the larger keys so these are perfect for me. Whether it makes me better is moot, I like them for comfort.

As for the comment about odd for it being a QWERTY, the main layout is to mimic a normal keyboard for gaming with the center focus on WASD and generally used keys around them, just larger for comfort.

To be honest, I really could care less what any “pro” uses. Pro gaming isn’t much different than pro sports in terms of endorsements and sponsors. I don’t buy shoes because of Tiger, LeBron, etc. and the same with gaming hardware.

LOL I love people who don’t like an offering and throw out their “going downhill” comments, a lot more are joining if you don’t like the offerings. :wink:

This would be great if I wasn’t used to my regular one, I pwn noobs all the time with my regular one. I don’t play that wow crap! But moh airborne is the shit

Will this work for Sony Playstation 3? I need a compatible keyboard for it.

I don’t have a PS3. Do they allow keyboard mapping for games? (If so, I may need to rethink my 360 :)). I don’t think these require anything special to work but if you’re looking for a keyboard to also use for typing, this isn’t it.

Yes. It acts like a normal USB keyboard - I’ve used it in linux, myself.

I loved this thing, back when I had it - the keys are nice and large so you don’t accidentally fat-finger key combinations, and having 7-0 in easy reach of your fingers is invaluable in things like MMORPGs or games like Savage 2.

I play DDO because the melee combat system is very active - I have to keep moving to stay in range of my enemies and still be using my skills. Right now, I have around 17 active combat skills, and with a normal keyboard, I can only use half of those - 1-6 for some, then ctrl+(1-6) for the rest. This pad helped me a great deal, back when I had one.

If you get one, you might want to get two - if you’re anything like me, you’ll be very mad at yourself if you lose or break one of 'em and don’t have a spare. That’s what I’m doing, anyway.

They do take some time to get used to, though - keep that in mind. Your fingers are trained to reach in certain areas for certain keys, and this changes things a little bit. For the most part, many of the keys will feel like they’re about in the same place, so many of the keys won’t require too much training, but you will fumble just a bit, at first.

i bought one a year ago, and have loved it. Great for WOW or any fps. It seems much better organized than the others, and Woot’s price is incredible.

Really? We carried them at my work for a long time, and eventually marked them down to 15 bucks to get rid of them since they weren’t selling. They are pretty cool, though. So for 29 bucks, yeah, this isn’t a bad deal.

Ahhh, you got me woot. I have laid dormant for months now, but I have been looking for one of these gaming keyboard for TF2 and Bioshock for a while. I almost paid $45 for one, you saved my wallet! Now if only they would have a woooottooffff already.

“the extra keys”

lololololol good one. :slight_smile:

I appreciate your perspective Jay. I have a laptop and I play ALOT of games on it and I’m already starting to experience “sticking” in my ctrl key and my “w” key. If what you say is true, this is a great price for a peripheral that might save my keyboard.

I have one and I love it.
Perfect for FPSs, I play HL2, TF2, CS:S, Bioshock. It’s very hard to go back once you’ve used it.
I bought mine for $35 at Micro Center and it was worth that price, definitely pick it up at this price.