Woot Cellars D’ONTSPILLE LE BLACK 2009 Pinot Noir - 4 Pack

Can someone explain bottle shock? is it a shipment issue or an issue from bottling? if shipment, how long should a bottle rest?

Have you tried the TLC offered here?

In for 3. Very excited to serve this at my wedding. Now I just need about half a case more of red, and about a case and a half between chardonnay and pinot grigio and I’ll be set.

My honey did not at all care for the Boss Monster, so I’m guessing I should pass on this one.

You are correct that the term bottle shock is used to describe the period right after the wine has been bottled, when it needs some time to adjust to its new (smaller) living quarters.

However, many of us who order lots of shipped wine (from the sin pits of the internet :slight_smile: ) also find that after traveling across country in a truck, a bottle can be “shocked”, and needs a few weeks to rest and realign.

Although I’m a believer in the latter, it can be a debatable subject, as I believe WD and a few others may disagree.

Wikipedia covers Bottle Shock here.

Here’s another article that contains additional links at the bottom.

I feel like I’m channeling Night Ghost on this one!

1 Like

In for two presumably for the purpose of gift giving, but we all know these are too amazing to give away.

Oh well, consuming this shipment will provide the solace my wife and I will need after re-gifting all the useless crap we received last year.

Buy this juice, it’s a steal at this price!

Kiss, kiss Richard. (Sorry, just couldn’t resist.)

To echo other comments, this isn’t the most complex Pinot I’ve ever had but it’s not bad … especially for the price. Smooth and easy drinking, it’s not built to age but I wouldn’t expect that in this price range.

I ordered this last time it was offered because the name was so clever, and when I opened the first bottle and ran it through the Vinturi aerator I just didn’t like it much. My wife agreed: the wine tasted a bit “green” and “pungent”.

It was still drinkable, and we finished the bottle. Very cool name and label, I laugh every time I look at it. Anyway, for the second bottle I had the idea to try it “fresh” out of the bottle (no decanting at all). It tasted a lot better to leave the flavor a bit “bottled up”.

By about the fourth bottle of this (not in the same night, one bottle each night we tried it) it had started to really grow on me. Some wines get better the more familiar you are with it. This is certainly one of those. When our final bottle ran out, I was actually a bit disappointed to see it go.

Now that the “Dark Knight” is back for sale again, I picked up two of these (8 bottles) and am looking forward to trying it again. I don’t think it is my favorite wine, but it made a big enough impression on me and my wife that we didn’t have to think too hard about buying more. At $12 per bottle, we spend that in the grocery store anyway, so even for the novelty value this wine is fun to try.

Sometimes with wine, unique goes a long way.

Stupid web form error resubmit bug I hate computers why can’t I delete my entry runon sentence.

So, for those of you who know my aversion to Pinot Noir, this one has become an exception. There aren’t many out there, and this is the first to come from the west coast to make that list. This is good stuff!

For those of you who DON’T know my aversion - I tend to find Pinots have this woody, twiggy, gross aftertaste to them, which is especially prevalent in the California and Oregon Pinots. It’s not something I find in some of the northern Michigan Pinots or in French Burgundy. I took a chance on this the first time around knowing it was made by Peter Wellington, and he has a habit of trending Old World in his styles. I was rewarded for my “gamble” - this one is smooth, with great balance, and none of that woody, twiggy aftertaste. All the goods with none of the woods, basically, is how I put it in my notes.

Great daily drinker; goes with a wide range of foods.

This wine and the Black Pine have really turned me on to Pinots. All the other <$20 pinots I’ve had were undrinkable and those more expensive just not that enjoyable.

Really love this wine; in for 3.

Let me get this straight… a woman… says don’t buy… be responsible?? who is she and what has she done with your real wife??? I would check for alien abduction!

Great post. I’d say you’re channeling rpm here, as that is almost exactly what he’d say.

To wendyxxxx our other poster who thinks her SO might not like this as he didn’t like the Boss Monster, I’d say this isn’t anything like the Boss Monster as I believe its both a different varietal and a different winemaker! (correct me if I’m wrong anyone)

Hi Cheron! Nice to hear you back over here :slight_smile: I’ve not noticed something I’d call woody or twiggy at the tail end of pinots. which ones in particular, and I’m going to try to have a look out for that flavour next time I try them!

VERY glad to see this again. Per the hubby, in for TWO! His wish is my command.

Like many have stated, missed this first time around and was hoping to see it during wootoff…in for 3 and gifted 3 more…thanks WD for the triumphant return!

Cheers!

Pardon me, sir, but there is no such thing…

Completely agree with cheron98. I’ve been frustrated with Pinots, knowing that I like well made ones, but being unwilling to shell out the cash. Got this last time and really like it. WIfe doesn’t usually like Pinot and she also is a fan. Can’t pass this up.

Thanks! Just mentioned Night Ghost because I posted a couple links and it seems as though he’s always posting links - no matter the conversation.