Woot Cellars Late Harvest Zinfandel (4)

California is not uniquely governed in this way. TTB regulation regarding identification does not specify:

27 CFR 4.21.(a).(3)
http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?c=ecfr&sid=506cf0c03546efff958847134c5527d3&rgn=div5&view=text&node=27:1.0.1.1.2&idno=27#sp27.1.4.c

California does regulate sugar independently from the Feds, including labeling standards for Sherry, Port, Tokaj, etc. You can see that here:

https://govt.westlaw.com/calregs/Document/IAB5B2A80D60611DE88AEDDE29ED1DC0A?originationContext=document&transitionType=StatuteNavigator&needToInjectTerms=False&viewType=FullText&contextData=(sc.Default)

FURTHER RESEARCH
Looks like the TTB has not really done a very good job of locking in the definition of fortified wines in the US, but there is some implication that it should be grape derived spirits only. See this release:

http://www.ttb.gov/rulings/77-33.htm

So it basically turns out that what is used to fortify the wine basically determines the tax class it belongs to and whether it is “wine” or a liquor/cordial/whatever.

Nice summary!
Why do you say Fro-Zin is the only wine made that way? I’ve had many an “icebox” wine, including Scott Harvey’s Angel Eis. Although maybe I missed something in how you produce it that’s different. (We have one bottle of that left also…it’s delicious!)

I really wish RHWMBO and I could remember this from the RPM tour since you all seem to remember it as being so good. Can’t find any notes. Definitely don’t need more right now, but on the fence for 1 (or 2).

Because it’s not made the same way to my understanding.

That wine is made from late harvest fruit, at least to my understanding. That’s the distinction I was making in that part of my post.

There are other wineries who have used artificial freezing to make sweet wines, but to my knowledge we are the only people achieving the concentration factor and color of Frozin. Frozin is picked at 24-25 Brix, when we would pick for table wine. We concentrate the juice to 35 plus Brix.

Phew, and I thought reading 14 CFR was convoluted.

Really appreciate the links.

“only time” and “best woot cellars value ever” sure got me off the fence!!!

Will this arrive in Texas by Thanksgiving?

If you want proof of this, read his summary on dessert wines. From experience, I already knew much of the info, but it’s a terrific summary.
Unlike most wooters, I have the good fortune to live within a few hours drive of virtually all the icewine produced on this continent. :slight_smile:
The other dessert wines are much more widely available.

[QUOTE=mrn1]

Damn enablers, in for 1

I discovered I have 1 original left!! I still can’t decide how many to get…

Duh, 3 you fool! :wink:

Likely in the nick of time.

:tongue: I was good…ha ha ha I only got 2… of course my family is going on and on… “you bought how many more bottles?” “why, mom… why?” ha ha ha and when I replied “it’s a woot cellars!!! Meeker!! you know, the place that had the cool hand prints on their bottles and had the FroZin!!” Mr. Mommadeb is just walking around the house shaking his head and muttering to himself! :slight_smile:

Just remind him of all the money you’re saving without our yearly Vegas trips :slight_smile:

I might have missed this somewhere, but is there any mention as to how many barrels\bottles of this juice came to be?
FWIW: I saw this come up last evening and thought I should sleep on it… then I woke up! In for two.

About 390 cases. I expect much of it to be gone by the end of the day.

Wine rookie here. Almost pulled the trigger on this until I noticed it said half bottles.
You guys must be CRAZY…or richer than me??? Now I’m bummed, been waiting for a dessert wine.

Any recommendations?

First: we aren’t rich. We’re all poor thanks to this site. :wink:

Second: most dessert wine comes in half bottle (with some offering 750ml and rarely larger). So, yeah, half bottles, but that’s pretty standard operating procedure.

Third: dessert wine is generally more expensive because of a multitude of factors.

I’m quite sure that you won’t find a dessert wine of this or similar quality for less than this offer. But, if you hit us with a price-range and what you’re looking for, we can try to direct you to something closer to what you’re looking for.

ha ha ha… but I make up for it during D&D! I think I brought home 3 cases last time. and I only brought 2 empty cases with me… I definitely have a buying problem… good thing I have enablers to help me!! :slight_smile:

Very well stated!! I completely agree… this is a GREAT price from a GREAT winemaker!!