Woot Cellars Phat Goose Red Blend (5)

In for 2 after a long buying hiatus. Need some GSM representation in the cellar and digging (if not wowed) by the initial tasting notes. Sounds like this one will be fun.

Is this from Paso Robles? I’m a huge sucker for Paso Robles Syrah and GSM, and it would be nice to have something from there with this price point.

Hop over to the new week-long pop-up shop!

http://i.imgur.com/QU4f6.png

Always up for Woot Cellars offering. In for one.

Since all the usual subjects received labrat bottles of this, does that mean the labrat program is actually starting up again?

IFTFY. This was from my massive cellar. Which magically finds new Woot Cellar wines. :tongue:

Shhhhhhhhhhhh! They don’t know where they came from. Pulls out MIB short term memory eraser doodad. Smile for the camera!

I would almost feel bad if I didn’t know that you’ve been First Sucker before. I don’t remember which wine but it did look good on you. :wink:

Hahaha. Non wine actually. It was the Brandini poppers. Now to try again for a wine! :slight_smile:

PS: Don’t overlook the Chocolate Covered Wine Grapes on the Pop-up site.

Damn you

Yep!

Santa also dropped a bottle of this wine off in Texas.

Quick question: can anyone compare this to Hahns normal GSM. This says it is specifically made for woot and the blend is slightly different. Curious on the taste difference.

Notes:

Not getting much on the nose on this one. Medium body, a bit lighter than other GSM blends I’ve had. Taste is on the simple side with a touch of sweetness, but this is not a fruitbomb.

My girlfriend enjoyed it, but she noted that she got a yeastiness from it.

My favorite GSM I’ve purchased off Woot is the Tallulah Les Trois Voix. I wouldn’t put this holiday Woot in that ballpark, but this GSM is a decent amount cheaper.

Easy drinker. Good for a weekday drinker or a holiday party. Should also go over well with casual wine drinkers.

Excellent. In for 2.

x2!

Soledad

EDIT: Well, that’s what it says on the bottle but the Woot description mentions that the Hahn Family vineyards are in the Santa Lucia Highlands of Monterey County.

2011 Phat Goose

PnP

Color: Magenta, medium color concentration.
Nose: Sweet blueberry, blackberry and sweet spice; cardamon and star anise.
Palate: Ripe raspberry, cherry and plum. Some of the sweet spice from the nose carries to the finish. Very light tannin.

30 minutes in, the nose is similar but has gained intensity.

1 hour in, a floral aspect appeared in the nose. Rose or lavender.

I enjoyed this wine with Chinese food; spicy shrimp and broccoli, sweet and sour pork, fried shrimp and chicken chow mein. The ripeness of the wine paired very well with the spiciness of the shrimp. The acidity definitely cut through the fatty food, no problem. A great food wine!

I’m wondering how my cellar missed this one…it’s so close to yours!

In for one on my 1st Woot Cellars offer. Hope it’s good!

OK. Woot cellars, GSM, need holiday wine for office gifts, auto-buy. In for 2!

Woot Cellars Phat Goose Red Blend (5)

Speed to First Woot:
0m 46.008s
First Sucker:
chipgreen
Last Wooter to Woot:
time2testit
Last Purchase:
a minute ago