Woot Limited-Edition Blrthday Balloons of Celebration

saw it on the app… not the site, not twitter, not wootstalker… just the app… and don’t get your blood pressure up… i didn’t get one… just saw it. :wink:

There’s a gillion people trying to buy like 14 of them. A second is an eternity in that race.

Never showed on webpage or app. WootStalker showed it but as others said, the page it tries to link to breaks and by then they’re gone.

I legitimately don’t think you will ever see it refreshing the page. In my experience so far, it jumps straight from the sold out product to the next product without ever showing the BoC.

I think its bs. I sat on the website refreshing constantly, as soon as it popped up it was gone. No way possible!

It just plain never showed up for me, either. This is frustrating and sad. :frowning:

Ha, I had WootStalker up to. It doesn’t update at all for me though. No matter what alerts I have set. Nothing pops up or alerts me ever.

Last time the Limited edition BOC showed up, I actually saw it on the page long enough to get stuck in the VOC.

I think it truly depends on your net connection and luck.

I got it old school, I guess TT and the Woot gods smiled upon me. Keep on trying! :slight_smile:

Didn’t get but that’s ok Happy birthday Woot

I think the last Woot Off they we’re behind as well.

Yeah, I haven’t gotten one, but I’m still going to keep mentioning it so at least everyone (and not just a few people) have a fair chance.

It probably doesn’t help they’re releasing around the same time, so everyone kind of knows when to be ready.

As soon as it popped up it was sold out…this sale is a bag of crap

like F5 on the main site? i call foul… where you located, I’m gonna spoof my ip addy. :wink:

Wootstalker is definitely running slow. Think maybe a strategy of waiting until wootstalker gives the sold out “beep” and then refreshing the app like a madman might work. Maybe?

Well normally I’d agree… but clicking it the second it pops up and it’s already sold out (considering Woot usually takes a bit to put up the sold out sign even if it’s all sold out) makes me think some folks are getting an early jump.

No biggie. I’ll try harder… but if it’s never going to be possible because some people just get the page served too late because of location I’d just not worry :).

I killed the last conversation with this wall of text, so maybe I’ll try again. The tl;dr is we’re not all seeing the same information on basically any “large” website. “The nano second it comes up” for you might be 20 seconds after it was first up for someone else, because their server got updated first.

So I have no specific insights into how woot’s servers work, but it’s likely akin to something like this last scenario.

Say you’re at the Woot Brick and Mortar Store and you’re in line with one Server helping people. Say for the sake of argument that Server can help 15 people per minute. The Server tells the people what’s for sale, and how many of them he has left. He has perfect knowledge of this because he’s directly in charge of updating the only place that data exists. The problem with this is that line is backing up fast. So, how to deal with more customers more quickly?

1. Hire an Inventory Guy for the Server to talk to. Now the Server at the window can serve 20 people per minute because he’s handed off the counting to someone else. There’s some chance of miscommunication, but you’re still likely pretty good on the “perfect information” front. Problem is 20 isn’t much better than 15 when there’s 1,000 people in line

2. Hire more Servers to Talk to the Inventory guy. Now you have a bank of Servers going like the DMV. The problem is that while the “customers per minute” is more than 20, each server isn’t doing 20, because you’ve just moved where the bottle neck is from all the customers shouting at a single Server that can’t keep up to all the Servers shouting customer’s shouts to the one Inventory guy.

3. Hire more servers. Have the inventory guy hand them spreadsheets of information every so often. Now you’re cooking with gas. Every server is helping 20 per minute, and the line being chipped away at. Looky loos and people who just want to know where the bathrooms are find out what they need and move on not clogging up the line for the buyers. The problem is every so often someone goes to buy something and it turns out the Server they were talking to thought there were 10 of something when there was really 0. Also they missed out on a new item the person in line next to them got because their server happened to be handed a sheet from Inventory Guy sooner. Even if Inventory guy is Usain Bolt someone’s Server is getting the information last, and everyone’s Server is out of date on something, or a lot of things.

Something like #3 is likely what goes on here. It’s likely one of the causes that makes the percent remaining of an item go up and down as you reload a page waiting for the next item. Some of it might be people changing their mind and it going back into the pool, but you’re also likely seeing direct evidence of different servers processing your trip through the line with different information at their disposal. Getting connected to the right server at the right time (app or website) is more or less just luck of the draw.

It’s a pain, but it’s a necessary trade off. Imagine if every item with a “buy now” button on the internet had a “order processing” type load time to make extra extra sure it was still for sale. Imagine if every “add to cart” involved a Vestibule of Patience. The internet would be unusable, most people are “just browsing” most of the time. (And that doesn’t even address the problem of at what point, even if you’ve confirmed there’s for sure 1 left, that you “reserve” it for some person, how long you reserve it, etc.)

We don’t feel the pain of it a lot because when you’re buying one of 1000 candles on amazon that there are 9999 in inventory for, no one is racing you for the last one. It also doesn’t matter at checkout which specific of those 9999 candles in the warehouse will be yours, etc. We feel it on Balloons of Celebration because there are so few and people are racing to get and almost everyone looking is buying. We feel it on things like concert tickets because there are (relatively) few AND you’re buying specific ones.

Don’t feel bad we are all in the same boat with boc’s

Yup. I have a great connection. Just gotta wait til luck hits me over the head!

Feels like wootstalker is just choking today or they’ve got a bot interfering with traffic today. Prior 2 of the $50 BoC and regular ones the site chokes the moment they pop up and won’t even load the wootstalker pages let alone the actual Woot page. This $50 BoC just flat out didn’t even pop up on wootstalker…