Woot OMG Deal

It’s a Woot OMG Deal! What is it?
This is an Outrageous Mystery Goody, not a BoC. We take something mad expensive that is outdated, used, and already marked down everywhere, make it really cheap about the same price, but don’t really tell you what it is. Why? We have our reasons. But they are good bad ones.

8 Likes

This was a pretty pathetic deal when you look at how they hyped it as mad expensive selling for really cheap, when in reality it was 10-15 dollars off what they’re selling the same thing for at the most. I could get it off of eBay for the price I got it here. This is the first time I’ve purchased from Woot in almost 2 years, and probably the last time in a while.

2 Likes

Glad I stayed out of this one.

1 Like

If that is the model they’re sending, they’re actually selling it for $33.99.

3 Likes

That’s a first gen, the one I received is 5th gen according to the label.

Thanks for the link. What crap move woot.

2 Likes

How much do you think woot should have sold this OMG item for?

• $39.99 or more
  • $34.99 - $39.98
  • $29.99 - $34.98
  • $24.99 - $29.98
  • $19.99 - $24.98
  • $19.98 or less

0 voters

It’s a 5th generation Kindle - 1st generation Paperwhite.

That looks to be the same thing - except its listed as refurb-scratch and dent while ours is refurb-very good.

1 Like

5th gen Kindle is the same thing as 1st gen paperwhite. They seem to use them interchangeably. Everything I was able to find about @sprkmaker’s photo suggests that it is the 2012 model though. I know Kindle v7 is a very popular device and people also refer to it as PW3, which would line up with that as well.

1 Like

Ok, I thought it was closer to the 2016 model that’s linked at the top of the discussion. This makes it even worse. Either way, probably my last time on Woot. When this site can’t even do better than Amazon’s deal of the day, is it even worth running the site anymore?

2 Likes

bummed. I keep checking this thread hoping this isn’t true, but a 7 year old kindle at $40 is not a deal :frowning:

2 Likes

THAT would’ve been a deal (and more in line with my hopes when I placed the order)

2 Likes

Has anyone reached out to Woot directly about this to see if they are going to “make it right”? I am very upset about this - so upset that I’ve made no attempt to get a BoC today, which is unprecedented for me.

3 Likes

I contacted them regarding a refund. I’ll share their response.

6 Likes

I just got mine. 7rd old kindle wifi WITH ADS for $40… Not only NOT a deal… We overpaid.

2 Likes

Their excuses from the CAH Expansion Pack debacle do not apply. It will certainly be interesting to see how they try to justify this.

1 Like

5th gen is 1st gen Paperwhite, it’s the 2012 model according to Amazons generation structure.

1 Like

Yup, this sucks. I knew it was probably a kindle, but was hoping it was a much better than a 7 year old one that I can literally buy on ebay for the same price. Been a wooter a long time, bought bunch of crappy BOCs and many regular items. This is truly disappointing.

4 Likes

They offered two options:

refund 7$ (to match the price of the one on their page) if I wanted to keep the item.

full refund if I wanted to return the item.

I feel this is a fair response from Woot. While I understood the instructions, I feel with my past experiences in this area they have performed better and offered true deals to those quick enough to purchase these mystery deals. This OMG deal did not meet their product description, I felt.

Thanks to Woot for listening.

3 Likes

Do you have to pay for shipping?