WowWee Rovio

Bought last week…waiting on Fedex to arrive today. Cool Toy

Guess I’ll have time to get my calc done now.

Looks like an easy way to stalk someone.

Doesn’t look like it’s any good.

http://www.amazon.com/WowWee-Rovio-Enabled-Robotic-WebCam/dp/B001CQLGD6

110 of 113 people found the following review helpful:

1.0 out of 5 stars Rovio Born Premature, November 4, 2008

By Dustin Boyette (Raleigh, NC USA) -

Durability: 2.0 out of 5 stars
Fun: 4.0 out of 5 stars
Educational: 3.0 out of 5 stars

This review is from: WowWee Rovio Wi-Fi Enabled Robotic WebCam (Toy)

As a previous reviewer said, I really, really want to love my Rovio. It has great potential, but these first units are awful. WowWee should not have succumbed to pressure to release it before it’s ready. I can’t recommend anybody buy one at this time, for the following reasons:

1. The robot won’t play back paths with any accuracy. I’ve given mine clear paths with no obstacles, and it still manages to run into chairs and the TV. And that’s with the NAV signal showing strong. Maybe if you had your own empty gym, it’d work great, but if you live in a real house with furniture, the robot won’t navigate reliably.

2. The robot usually runs out of battery power before it manages to dock, so the self-recharging feature is a bust.

3. Audio doesn’t work (in or out) on any browser but Internet Explorer.

4. The camera positioning options are poor (low, a little lower, and let’s-stare-at-the-ceiling are your only choices).

5. The battery life is poor too. Maybe an hour if you’re lucky, and since it won’t make it back to the recharger, Rovio will die and be useless from remote.

6. The headlight is absolutely laughable. The camera can’t be used at all in low-light conditions.

7. While there’s almost no forward illumination, Rovio will annoy you with the pulsating blue LEDs on top.

8. My dock died after less than two weeks of ownership.

I’m sure I could think of more reasons to wait for a new version before buying, but those are just the ones that I immediately recall as unacceptable. This product simply doesn’t work.

Bye bye, Rovio. You’re going back to Amazon.

I got two of these the last time they were on Woot. One was DOA. The Manufacturer will NOT do anything about it. The tell me to return it and re-buy it somewhere else. Does anyone from WOOT read this? Will you please exchange my DOA Rovio?!?!?

On normal days, woot sells one item until it is gone or the day ends. About once a month, woot has a woot-off, where it sells an item until it is gone, and then puts another item up. So in this case, the Dysons were gone. They were in the last woot off however, so check back regularly, they will likely be here again. I believe buy.com is selling at a similar price.

What this thing really needs is a tow hook so I can rescue my Roomba from work and let the cleaning continue.

There is no “easy” way to stalk someone - it’s darn hard 24/7 WORK!

Hmmmm… did I say too much?

Question:
What is the best app for woot offs? I have woot watch but it never notifies me of a woot off or new items. THANKS!

I’d been looking for a way to spy on the dogs while at work, but this seems a bit pricy, aside from the fact the dogs would probably eat it before it told on them!

Next!

Arrrgh! Tempted once again! Can I resist?

BTW, great day 3 of 2 of the Wootoff.

In the same boat. Would be nice to have one in hand before pulling the trigger again.

Here’s what Good Moring America had to say today:

"Check deal-of-the-day sites. They can sometimes be a deal of the minute. Woot.com is having Friday what it calls a “woot-off.” It is selling off the stragglers in its inventory.

The deals are very good, but they may only be available for a few minutes, so check back often.

I talked to the Woot guys and they told me about some of the outrageous deals: a Dyson vacuum cleaner that retails for $499 is being sold for $279, plus $5 shipping. The cheapest I could find it online was for $340."

This will probably bring in a flood of noobies.

I was wondering why the last woot off ended without an infamous b of the c.

I’ve been very happy with Wootalyzer for a few years now. I’m currently running v3.54.10. I have noticed the timing is off a bit on the “view new items” on this woot-off. Each new item shown is actually the “sold out!” screen of the last item. But this is the first time I’ve had this problem. The alarm still works and notifies me on all new items.

Wanted one of these before…didn’t have money.

Want one now…still don’t have money.

Damn you Woot and your ill timed woot offs!!!

111 of 113 people found the following review helpful:

Hate seeing that. I’ve wanted one of these since they were announced. But the spotty reviews and my experience with expensive RC toys, combined, has me glad I didn’t buy one immediately: they were something like $300.

…but now they’re $105! Stop me!!

Seriously, think about all the voyeuristic opportunies you can have with this thing! It’s amazing what you can do with a laptop installed with a mobile broadband card and a Rovio, your dreams truely will come true!

It’s nice to see that w00t still keeps us guessing!

It is folly to try and predict what the w00t gods will do next!