CT links above

Winery website

Facebook
Twitter
Yelp

Previous offers:
6/1/09
1/27/10

X Winery’s Chardonnay is one of the best wines I’ve tasted, so I’d say their other offerings are probably top notch as well.

It was a surprise overall, as I usually prefer red wine.

Have never been let down by X before… not to mention that the Amicus Special Blend sells for $48 alone, this is a steal!

Has anyone heard of Cote De Brouilly (recolte 1990)? It looks like it is a red wine of some sort. We have had it about 20 years but neither my husband or I are big wine drinkers.

Their last offer in '09 included the 2005 Amicus Special Blend (which I enjoyed). That one was mostly Cab Sauv, with Merlot, Petite Verdot, and Cab Franc. This one is composed of “40% Merlot, 33% Cabernet Sauvignon, 20% Cabernet Franc, 7% Petite Verdot”, so the Cab Sauv is significantly less, and the Merlot and Cab Franc are higher. If the winemaker comes on board, I would love to read his comments on the blending process of the two wines, sort of a compare and contrast.

Côte de Brouilly is one of the appellations of the Beaujolais region. “Côte de Brouilly is located on the higher slopes of the extinct volcano Mont Brouilly within the Brouilly Cru Beaujolais. The wines from this region are more deeply concentrated with less earthiness than Brouilly wine.” -Wiki

Côte de Brouilly, Wikipedia

Beaujolais, Wikipedia

From my limited experience with Beaujolais, 20 years is probably a little long for this wine to have sat in the bottle but there’s only one way to find out.

I liked the Amicus that was offered in Jan. 09. How does the 06 Amicus compare?

crap, these are the 3 wines from X that I wouldn’t get, like the only ones that would never end up in my cart if I was purchasing from the winery.

They make high quality wine, just have zero interest in their chard or zin.

The Amicus is ok, but I don’t think it justifies the premium over their other cabernets, which I think have a higher QPR.

What exactly makes a wine “feminine”?

Marketing.

Nah, just kidding. Actually, I went tasting with my partner (L), mother (K), and sister (E) last week, and it was interesting how both the pourers seemed to assume that K and E wouldn’t appreciate the bigger wines (e.g. Petite Sirah).

And then it was also surprising to me that, in many cases, they were right. Aside from the TyTanium and Corisons, K and E definitely preferred the port-styled wines and various whites. If they could detect heat or coarse tannins, they weren’t interested. That seems to gel with the “feminine” description in the notes…

Merlot :wink:

I think it’s up to individual interpretation, but I usually think of a “feminine” wine as softer, more subtle, and with floral kinds of aromas.

When you’re finished with it, it takes half your stuff!

(I’m a gonna git in trouble for that one there)

A captivating and confounding complexity?

Greetings all!

My name is Spencer. I will be online all day answering your questions about these delicious X wines. Happy New Year and Happy Wooting!

The blend of the Amicus, like the Red and White X, changes every year depending on yields and, also, what fruits blend best. In 2006, there was significantly lower yield on the Cab Sauv and we thought the wines blended better for this vintage with more Merlot and Cab Franc. We are also generally very pleased with the concentration of the Merlot coming out of the Spring Mountain district.

I always joke with my gf that she only likes to drink white wine and hates tannins. Of course it is an exaggeration, but it gives us something with small stakes to argue over!

I think feminine and masculine also are largely archaic terminologies used by the Brits. Feminine is delicate, silky, perfumed, and gentle. Masculine is coarse, rugged, dark and powerful. I guess it’s just classic stereotyping, though admittedly it is very evocative.

I’m in for 1.

'Not real big on them there girly wines but I’ll give the white to my wife and enjoy The Manly wine myself. :slight_smile:

The funny thing is that it’s the red blend that was described as feminine:

“This Bordeaux style 2006 vintage is fortunate enough to have gained ripe flavors without an abundance of sugar, making it complex and feminine.”

I don’t know if any of us know exactly what that means, Spencer’s explanation notwithstanding. Perhaps it just means the wine is balanced, rather than overpowering.

No worries - this certainly doesn’t sound like a “girly wine.”

p.s. Of course, the white blend is “sassy.” :wink: